Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 3:51:02 PM EDT
Presto is now available in Beta (and has been for a short while).  I was curious to know if anyone is using it.  I just installed it on one of my older Dells(Latitude D600) in about 5 minutes and rebooted right into it.  It was completely up in about 30 seconds.

The GUI is simple, with a sidebar for your web browser (Firefox preinstalled), an IM client (haven't configured it yet), Skype, a File Explorer, and a link to an Application launcher, which includes their Application store.

It found all of my hardware instantly (touchpad, CD/DVD, network).  I was impressed that it found my wireless network immediately and asked for my key. Sound worked, and the video resolution is correct.

As I type, I notice the built-in spellchecker, which I missed when I had to leave my MacBook Pro behind.  It supports the standard right-click/correct, and custom dictionary.

I've had it on for about 20 minutes browsing, and it is pretty quick and light.  I haven't explored any settings, nor do I even know where they are inside the OS.  I'm certainly a GUI guy, not a command-line warrior.  Maybe one day when no one runs Windoze.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
30 seconds?

My Vista ultimate machine boots as fast or even faster than that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
including POST?  Lies.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
just timed it.  26 seconds.  Take off two for having to choose at the boot loader.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont have experience with it but it sounds like GOS.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#5]
the gui kind of looks like it.  Presto installed quickly, and found all my hardware on the first shot.  GOS didn't find my network card, which is weird because it is only the most popular chipset in the early 2000's.

The app store has a TON of stuff, and lots of freeware. I d/led a media player, archiving utility, and a few other items with zero problems.  If I can find a RDP and/or VNC client I may start using it instead of Windoze for my D2D administration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top