Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 6:10:10 PM EDT
My little brother is bugging the crap out of me to get rent this movie.  How is it, is it worth the rental???
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I really doubt anyone on this message board has seen it...  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Worth seeing? Yes, but not worth going to see.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm I have never heard of it, but "Empire of the Sun" is good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#4]
It is an OK movie, good gunplay in it, and you may feel some sadness emotions during it.  Go ahead and rent it, I think the ending is pretty cool on reflection.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Good flick.  Realistic in that the SEALs aren't all-powerful bad asses.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Worth the rental...........
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Worth the rental...........

I'll second that! My wife even bought me the DVD.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Monica Bellucci
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it sucked!  No nudity and Bruce Willis actually tried to act!  I was pissed off that I spent $4.00 on that DVD and I couldn't even finish it cuz it was so bad.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Monica Bellucci

Oh my, I forgot about her!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hmmm I have never heard of it, but "Empire of the Sun" is good.

hey kid, you want a hershey bar?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought it sucked!  No nudity and Bruce Willis actually tried to act!  I was pissed off that I spent $4.00 on that DVD and I couldn't even finish it cuz it was so bad.

Man, you're a tougher critic than Jay Sherman.  

I thought it was decent, if not on par with Saving Private Ryan.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
It is accidentally available* on WinMX.

*Rumor
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, you're a tougher critic than Jay Sherman.  www.filmsnobs.com/indexpics/jay.gif

I thought it was decent, if not on par with Saving Private Ryan.

It had all the makings of a great movie; Hot Chick, High Rounds Expended, Cool Hardware and High Body Count but the minute Bruce Willis started acting I lost interest.  Maybe I was expecting more of a Die Hard type of movie...I don't know but I just wasn't interested  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
SUCKED! The whole idea was total BS. The movie should have lasted about ten minutes. When the pouty bitch didn't want to board the 'copter a real GI would have put the cuffs on her and rode away into the sunset. Fade to black.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#16]
sucked, good scenes of hawaii though
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I really liked it!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't like it a whole lot.  Not too bad though.  But the parts that were supposed to make me sad, didn't.  I'd watch it again though.

Brian
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#20]
arfcom'ers enjoyed the backwards Aimpoint on Bruce's weapon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Monica Bellucci

Enough said.  Rent it immediately, if not sooner.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#22]
sucked
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Monica Bellucci

Exactly, the only really good thing about the movie.  

Other than that, there are two good action scenes - taking down some rebels in a village, and a big gun battle at the end.  I bought it for 9.98 used, and all I ever watch are those two scenes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I liked it, it is on my top 10 list prob. a 6 or a 7.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok, I watched it last night and yes, the movie sucked.  The fucking story line was flawed from the start and that doctor bitch had to be the stupidest idiot I have ever seen.

I mean, how naive can one be and still stay alive.  I hate stupid people and she was really really stupid. Willis killed his men by disobeying orders, he should be court martialed and spend the rest of his life in jail.

Two thumbs down.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#26]
It has guns and shooting and.........huh guns!

Tj
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I was about to say, you're gonna hate it, then saw you allready came to that conclusion...

From the only-in-hollywood plot line where the SF-types say 'screw the mission, we're gonna help the people', to the F-18s that launch UNARMED, then suddenly 'grow' an anti-air loadout (AIM-9s & AIM-120s), and launch these AAMs at ground targets, resulting in an explosion that looks like a B-52 strike... It's all bogus...

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Willis killed his men by disobeying orders, he should be court martialed and spend the rest of his life in jail.

Two thumbs down.

I saw it in the theatre a couple of years ago (or whenever it came out), so my memory may be slightly off, but didn't his subordinates want to stay behind and help the people?

And it was meant to be entertaining, not awe inspiring and thought provoking like Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and even Black Hawk Down.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Monica Bellucci

Actually it's Mmmmonica Bellucci.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw it in the theater, and then bought the DVD. Some parts are pretty far-fetched and the end is just too typical. But was still cool anyways. And as far as the whole mission thing goes, I would've done the same thing in saving the village. Maybe you'd find NO real SEAL or special forces commanding officers who would have, but I couldn't just sit and watch scum torture and kill unarmed civilians withough doing SOMETHING to try and help. The village scene was my favorite part of the movie. I like Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers WAY better, but Tears of the Sun was still better than most of the crap that comes out of Hollyweird any day. And Bruce may be no great actor, but he still gets my vote for at least having a pair...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Willis killed his men by disobeying orders, he should be court martialed and spend the rest of his life in jail.

Two thumbs down.

I saw it in the theatre a couple of years ago (or whenever it came out), so my memory may be slightly off, but didn't his subordinates want to stay behind and help the people?

And it was meant to be entertaining, not awe inspiring and thought provoking like Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and even Black Hawk Down.

He didn't give his men the chance to voice their wants until long after he had the helicopter turned around to go back to the hospital and they had been in the jungle hiking with the refugees for a long time. Pure and unadulterated bullshit..  It was also bullshit how they were dropping the enemy with one shot from their handguns.  They would just drop like rocks with com hit from a handgun, bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
SUCKED! The whole idea was total BS. The movie should have lasted about ten minutes. When the pouty bitch didn't want to board the 'copter a real GI would have put the cuffs on her and rode away into the sunset. Fade to black.

Yeah, and Gladiator would have been a 5 minute movie cause 3 armed Roman Centurions would not have failed to execute a bound prisoner.  No way, no how.  His head is on the ground and no Spaniard Gladiator hero.

As to this movie - I liked it.  Like all movies some decisions are made that wouldn't happen in real life to keep the movie going.  But I liked it overall.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I didn't like it when I saw in the theater, but I did like it when the g/f bought the DVD for me. I watch the DVD almost as much as I watch Blackhawk Down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top