Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 9:41:27 AM EDT
how is your fuel mileage and reliability?  looking at replacing a 4WD pickup for work use - i need the 4WD more than the bed capacity these days.  
i also need as good of mileage as i can get as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
CRD has a better tranny than it's gas engine siblings(the A-545 is nothing more than a 5sp of the 45RFE,found in 02-03 Libbys,Dodge trucks)
CRD's engine started out as a powerplant for irrigation pumps.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
According to FuelEconomy.gov, the CRD is rated 21/26, with a user average of 22.4  Of course, that's only based on 10 vehicles.  The same vehicle with the gasser V6 shows EPA rating of 17/22, with a user average of 14.2(based on 7 users).  Based on what I've seen on the TDI forums(that's what I drive), I think diesels in general are more likely than their gasoline counterparts to meet EPA estimates.

There are probably a few similar-sized SUVs that will do better in mileage, but I think the Liberty is actually built like a truck, where most of the small SUVs are built more like cars.

I had never seen a CRD on the road, but I've seen three in the last week.  Remember, if you get a CRD you have the option of using Biodiesel.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm averaging 18 or so in my V-6 Libby,there's a helluva lotta weight to move on the Lib. look underneath,lots of steel there(much more than the Cherokee it replaced). Worse comes to worse,you can always run it on what comes out of a McDonalds/Burger King/Wendys......
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Mrs. Shadow is getting 20.8 mpg going back and forth to work with her 06 CRD.
Best we have gotten so far is 27 mpg on the interstate.
Jeepy, as we call it now,  is a valued member of the family.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I did see one on the road a while back and was interested in them quite a bit.  It took off from a stoplight at a quick pace and blew black smoke out it's azz like a semi.  Personally I don't think they have enough hp/torque.  If there was a turbo option or some chip that could yield another 50-150hp they would be on my list.  

I would really like to see the CRD engine put in a Wrangler type Jeep.  That's something that would really sell well.  I've driven the 4cyl unleaded version of a wrangler and it's just pathetic.  Put a 4 or 6 cylinder inline 6 diesel in there and I imagine quite a few people would be in line to get one.

One other thing about the diesel is that even though you're getting a few more mpg's, the price of diesel is now more than premium unleaded in my part of town.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One other thing about the diesel is that even though you're getting a few more mpg's, the price of diesel is now more than premium unleaded in my part of town.  

True, but you never know where prices are going.  Diesel prices have been historically more stable than gas, and we know gas will be going up this summer.  Not sure where diesel is going.  Using the EPA numbers, you should use about 20% less fuel with the diesel.  With prices as they are now, diesel would have to rise 50cent/gal while gasoline stayed the same for it to even out(not counting the price premium for the engine itself, about $1600).

The price difference when I bought my diesel(VW) was about $1300, about three and a half years ago- my fuel savings have been almost $2500(setting gas and diesel at $2.50 to account for some higher prices, some lower) compared to the base model gasoline engine, at 68000 miles.  For a vehicle that uses more fuel in general, I think you'll save even more.  But to be honest, I didn't buy my car to be cheap, I just thought it was cool, and liked the idea of having a long range.

Around here, gas prices caught up to diesel recently, and biodiesel is actually cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The CRD does have a turbo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top