Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 12:36:58 PM EDT
The picture on the frontand the subtitle "Devil Dogs, Iceman, Captain America,and the New Face of American War" drew me in.

So far I'm on Ch 5 and like it pretty good.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm reading it now. I'm on Chapter 8.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I read it a few weeks ago.  Enjoyable book.  Can't remember where, maybe socnetcentral.com I found some differing opinions about the Marines in the book and how the journalist fit in.  Anyways, it is enjoyable if you like reading about individuals in combat.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I read it.  Good read, but the guy has an obvious political bias and seemed to be framing the events and the attitudes of the Marines to suit his beliefs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Finished it two days ago. Interesting narrative.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Read it a couple weeks ago. Very good read. Brought back memories of some of the idiots I served with, and the political BS you have to deal with in the mil, however.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It is an interesting book.  I am almost finished.  But as posted earlier, it is clear that the author has a political agenda and rights this from the left.  Of course, the jacket says the guy is a writer for Rolling Stone Magazine (if I recall correctly), so that should not come as a surprise.

My only criticism is the level of detail.  I suspect that most of the folks on this site will find the book a little simple in his descriptions of what is going on and the equipment in use.  He describes things in a very basic manner, and thus most ARFcomers (or whatever the term is) will be left wanting a little more sustance.  If I recall, I think the editors ever let some minor techinical error get through.  But, all and all, I am not sorry I am reading it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Im on chapter 5 now too. Great book!!!

I reccomend this one too,
'
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm.  I saw that on the Bush-Hater rack at the college bookstore last week alongside the Michael Moore books and all that drivel.  Figured it was just another "US is the bad guys" book....

--Josh
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Best books on the Iraq war so far are still Thunder Run and The March Up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top