Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2001 9:06:52 PM EDT
Im courios because I was wondering If the Forestry Traing Center located there is still up and running?
thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I was born there in 1958, lived there 'till is was in grade school. been back a few times, best elk hunting in the north west! There is a small overgrown airfeild that the airforce used to use as an emergency divert place and my father was the caretaker of it....pat
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I drove through it once
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm about 2 hours east of it (Poulsbo, WA)  Can't tell you about th etraining center, but I supposed I could ask around...
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
got to love the north west!
WHERE THE BIG DOGS HOWL...SCRATCH.. AND GROWL..!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
OregonShooter,I work with someone that just left that area. I'll ask him Monday and get back with you.

Jamie
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Oregon Shooter,

If you are referring to the training center operated by the state department of corrections, it was already closed as a training center when I was logging there in the early 70's. Seems like there was a fuss brought up where the complainers said the state had to pay full wages (and not deduct for room, board, etc) or they would be practicing slavery, or something equally nonsensical.

We used to go by there with the crummy and they were just using it as a minimum security place then. Anyway, with the demise of the export market for logs, and the decrease in harvestable, available timber from efforts of the environmental whackos, it probably would been stopped not long after anyway.

I haven't been back since I left in '74, so don't know if it ever got going again or not.

NMSight
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, the U of W Olympic Natural Resources Center is located there.  Could that be what you're thinking of?

[url]http://www.onrc.washington.edu/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top