Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 3:50:18 AM EDT
?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
A guy where I work had that procedure last September.

The dude is down 120 pounds...  it is amazing the change.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
My friends wife had it done 3 years ago she lost 160lb's and looks amazing now.... well she is still as ugly as the east end of a cow going west but she is thin though
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#3]
wonder how that worked, does it make you feel full all the time or your food passes just partially digested ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
wonder how that worked, does it make you feel full all the time or your food passes just partially digested ?

there are two ways to do it, or both.  a) makes a couple of the passages smaller or b) do something I don't quite understand that prevents compelte digestion.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Most proceedures they consider "safe" today involve stapling the stomach to less than 5% of it's original size.  

Imagine your stomach the size of a cantelope.  They reduce it to the size of a golfball.  You cannot eat nearly as much, so you lose weight.  There are many drawbacks to the surgery though.  First you must be at least 150 lbs overweight.  Minimum.

Second, you will feel very nauseated after you eat.  Often times you will vomit numerous times when you do eat.  But that will subside after a time.  (Depending on the person, it may take 3 meals, others several years to get over the vomiting)

Third, all that excess "slack skin" will have to be removed at a later date.  This will entail a surgery where the excess is cut away & your body is reshaped.  It could include a liposuction to remove the excess fat cells remaining in the body.

My ex-wife & daughter had the procedure done.  Ex lost about 160 lbs.  Still is ugly, but now doesn't look like a beach ball anymore.

My daughter has lost 80 lbs, is looking much better, but still has a ways to go.  It's been over a year for her, she will continue to loose for about another year.

Most authorities will say "you will lose a minimum of 140 lbs"  Others will report the weight lost will range from 100-175 lbs.  Just depends upon your body.

One last thing they won't tell you, or at least won't stress very hard...............you could die from this proceedure.  Either immediately in surgery (common sense), or later from infections, loss of adequate nutrition (starvation without knowing it), or just plain depression.  It is a very dangerous surgery, so if your considering it, make sure you go into it with your eyes wide open.

I would rather have open heart surgery, at least the techniques & outcomes are vastly improved.

And I know healthcare!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a nurse, and I have taken care of many, many patients that have had this procedure.  I have seen some truly gruesome complications from this surgery.  It is quite traumatic on the body.  It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to just to avoid eating right and working out.

The typical person who has this surgery spends a lifetime not taking care of themselves, not eating right, not exercising.  They see gastric bypass/stomach stapling as a "fix" for whats wrong.  This is a startling misperception - there is usually nothing wrong with their bodies, they just eat too much!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top