Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2001 6:38:38 PM EDT
well, thier prices seem good, how is the product???
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought their mock M4 upper, it is nice, but doesn't have a chrome-lined barrel.  Also, it is matte black, which might be a problem if you own a Colt, like I do.  It is quite nice for the price though.  Accuracy is great and reliability isn't a problem.

"Do what you will,
just don't bitch if the color doesn't match."
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I purchased some of the green mag followers form them at the last gun show I went to.  They installed and functioned just fine.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding place of business.  Bought 2 kits, one mock m4 and an A2, both on were assembled on PWA receivers and are real, real nice.

Service is exceptional.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
They use FN uppers, which are good to go. Stick with either a Colt or FN barrel. The Wilson barrels they, and others have are crap. Neither the chamber or bore is chrome lined. They are also chambered in .223 vs. 5.56mm. This causes extraction problems, especially in carbine length barrels. I have seen this problem on the range over and over. BM's, Colts, chattering away. Rifles with a Wilson (not the Wilson of 1911, Scattergun, and now an AR15 fame) with a rod down the barrel trying to knock a casing out of the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I placed a back-ordered a muzzle brake that was out of stock, they called 6 months later to confirm that I still wanted the brake.  Even I forgot about it.  I received the brake 5 days later.  I would order from them again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I recieved 2 kits from them yesterday. they took three days to arrive from the time of my order. Great outfit.

I agree about the Wilson barrels and J&T can supply you with just about any Colt or FN variation at a little extra cost.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 16-inch upper from J & T with the so-called FN receiver and the Wilson barrel.  I haven't had any problems.  All things being equal I'd rather have a chrome bore and chamber but for a plinker this rifle is fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#8]
The Wilson barrel works. It doesn't have chrome lining but neither do some high end steel or stainless steel AR accessory barrels. The chome lined barrel is mil-spec but that is not to say that makes it the only barrel for the AR-15.

JT Distributing is a fine outfit. Watch out for chamber dimensions in these barrels and have a gunsmith double check headspace before shooting. JT will fix any upper that is out of spec. I had to send mine back and they took care of the problem. I'd still put their reputation ahead of the other 3 or 4 dealers of AR uppers with Wilson barrels.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
JT uses 5.56 chambering.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I have ordered numerous parts and kits from them over the years.  They will bend over backwards to accomodate your requests (which is more than I can say for most businesses these days [:)] ).

Over a year ago I asked them for a quote on an M4gery kit and they gave me a fair price.  So I ordered it and have been satisfied ever since.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I was not inferring that Wilson barrels are not any good. They are OK for target and plinking. If you want a defense/offensive rifle that you can depend on, then you at least need a chrome chamber. If you do not, you are very likely to be in the same condition GI's were in '66-'68 in Vietnam prior to the chambers and bore being chrome lined.
My experience is, every one of the Wilson barreled rifles that went through my 2 day tactical carbine course had failure to extract problems. These could not be solved by exchanging bolts, or frequent cleaning of the chamber. This was using Federal American Eagle 55gr and PMP 55gr ball. All of the Bushy's, Colts, and rifles with Colt or Bushy barrels had no problems. All of the Wilson barrels, which came from JT, M-A, and Model 1, had .223 rem chambers.
I would not take a chance on my life, or the life of others. Spend the few extra bucks and get JT to put a mil spec barrel on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I had one, and it was extremely reliable.  Better than my Bushmasters.  But I was only shooting 223 ammo, not 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Ahhhh, .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO are the same. The difference is in chamber dimensions. .223 chambers are "tighter" dimensionally than 5.56 bored chambers. Accuracy over reliability. Unless you are shooting match grade rifles, with match ammo, not enough of a difference to give up reliability.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
What bbl comes on the FN postban M4 upper?

-Jared
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, there stuff is probably just fine.  Whoever they have at the Indy 1500 gun show could use a course dealing with customer service and courtesy...  I am sure they are busy people but making very loud sigh noises and rolling their eyes because a customer with cash wants them to get off their rump, put down the sandwich, and collect the $650 he is trying to spend there....
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I was under the impression that FNMI was forbidden by contract to sell any AR/M16 parts to anyone other than the federal gov't?  Any of those "FN" uppers have an FN production code on them?  As in LK, or on the barrels FNMI?  I bought a complete upper from them(J&T) a year or so ago (not marked with any FNMI production codes) SS barrel and it's worked fine so far.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Stg44 take a look,

http://www.jtdistributing.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000012.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Beetle, I am not doubting that they now use 5.56 chambers. They used to use .223. I helped several of my deputy's put together AR's several years ago. Some wanted to go the cheaper route, so they ordered the Wilson barrel from JT Distrubiting. I also personally ordered a JT upper, an FN A2 receiver, with a Colt A2 USGI barrel. I had, and have not had any trouble with my barrel. It has even been used to try out the departments M16's which were having cycling problems on FA due to improper gas port diameter. On the other hand, 3 JT Wilson uppers had numerous failures to extract. I am a Colt certified armorer. I do not cling to the Colt horse though. I have a Colt A2, and a BM M4. I have another upper with an FN upper from JT. The problem is, for reliability, in personal defense, I have found non-chrome lined chamber/barrels to be a definate liability. I teach Tactical carbine/urban rifle not only to my department, but to all the PD's in the county, as well as the Park Service. I have taught the M16 series of rifle since 1975 both in the US Army as an AIT instructor, and now as a deputy sheriff. I have a pretty good idea of what does, and does not work. No, I do not think I know it all, I don't. I do know, however, that I will not risk my ass on a POS Wilson barrel, when for not a helleva lot more I can get a milspec barrel.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Okay!  Okay!

Yes, J&T does use Wilson barrels on their "stock" AR-15 kits!  Yes, Wilson barrels ARE NOT as durable / reliable as chrome lined tubes for many reasons!

But, J&T also sells Colt and FN chrome lined bores for those who want a battle rifle and not a plinker.

No, I would not wrench a Wilson tube onto a self-defense rifle.  My self defense rifle is a Bushmaster Dissapator with the M-4 contour chrome lined bore.  But my plinking rifle is a J&T M-4gery.  

J&T sells good stuff.

And I'll stick by that statement[BD]!

In fact, I'd rather buy from J&T than from:

Olympic[xx(]

M&A[xx(]

Model 1[xx(]

ASA[xx(]

or

Sarco[xx(]

P.S. J&T even mentions in their Q&A that while a chrome moly barrel is more accurate it is not as durable as a chrome lined barrel!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top