Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:07:38 PM EDT
Going to stone my fireplace with that stuff- fake stone but stackable type with no grout seams.  Can I use construction adhesive for this as i am just stacking and should be more than strong enough to bond to the Durock.  Was thinking PL400.  I used it to bond the hearthstones down and seems plenty strong.  Any real reason i need to use cement?  Ther is almost no temp change in this stone- gas fireplace.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
masonry? no
missionary? yes
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
alrighty then...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
bueler...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]
bump for morning crew
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#5]
We've always used mortar, even with no grout stack stone.  Your best bet would be reading up on the manufacturers' literature.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you using cast veneer stone?  

Like this eldorado stone

look under "whats new" there is an installation video or under technical.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are you using cast veneer stone?  

Like this eldorado stone

look under "whats new" there is an installation video or under technical.

no, kinda looks like limestone with seams tight agains each other- no mortar is seen ever.  kinda like this  www.bouldercreekstone.com/gallery.asp?pid=88

the back is flat/rough surface for good adhesion.

It would make this job 100000 times easier to do if I coulf jsut glue em up with pl400 or equiv.

Do you see any issues- again there is no grout seen ever with thiis type.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok thats the same product as the one I posted just a different brand name.  I have done this many times. I have always used a cement product to stick them to the wall. If you are covering over Durock just use mortar, whichever mortar the manufacturer recomends. I have used type S many times with good results. I don't know about using the PL400, I have not tried anything like that so I can't recomend it.

Some of the tricks to using mortar with this stone...

Wipe the durock down with a wet sponge, let dry

Wipe the back of the stones with the sponge also, let dry

dust is your enemy

Mix your mortar  a little soupy, you don't want it thick

When you apply the mortar to the back of the stone, spread it on like you're buttering toast.
make sure it is spread evenly across the back of the stone, about 3/8ths inch.

I always start at the top of the wall I'm working on and work down so if any mortar is dropped it won't stain the face of any stones.

When you press a stone ito place you will have to hold it there for a few seconds until it is set.

I hope that helps

But you should check with the manufacturer for the recomended installation instructions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top