Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 10:00:10 AM EDT
looking to build a new PC for myself- couple questions:

1. Am looking at a case from Rosewill (newegg) it has a 20 pin power supply- good enough?  I have seen motherboards with 24 pin- what usp?
case

2.  AMD or intel (popcon. check)  was thinking AMD

3. Any decent mobo out there that I can put a mid range AMD on and then throw a dual core on later?

4. memory- recommended brands speed- probably one gig to start.

5. video - decent video card with 256 ram thats not too expensive.

Been watching new egg- trying to piece one together, but  keep running into little things like the power supply pins out.

thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds good
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I recommend MSI for the MoBo and try for a 939 pin CPU if you can. The rest should be easy. As far as hard drives, the Western Digital SATA drives are very reliable.

Check your IM's.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
okay, so what do you want to do with it?
I imagine you are not going to be hardcore overclocking it so...

Quoted:
looking to build a new PC for myself- couple questions:

1. Am looking at a case from Rosewill (newegg) it has a 20 pin power supply- good enough?  I have seen motherboards with 24 pin- what usp?
case

2.  AMD or intel (popcon. check)  was thinking AMD

either one really, most hardcore gamers prefer AMD, both are great processors, and I personally have never had problems with either. right now mine is intel, but just cause thats what was in it, you won't regret AMD let me put it that way

3. Any decent mobo out there that I can put a mid range AMD on and then throw a dual core on later?

don't know, probably not, but I'm not that up to date on new mobos

4. memory- recommended brands speed- probably one gig to start.

corsair valueselect, 1 gig (2 X 512) ran me $66 dollars. so basically 2 gigs of good mid range ram for $130.

5. video - decent video card with 256 ram thats not too expensive.

make sure and get a PCI-e capable motherboard, then order the EVGA Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS from newegg. ($169 i think) it'll run any current game at high specs

Been watching new egg- trying to piece one together, but  keep running into little things like the power supply pins out.

my new power supply had a 24 pin connecter, that you could remove 4 pins and make it a 20 pin. I haven't had much experience with 20 pins as my board is still 24 pin

thanks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top