Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 2:45:18 PM EDT
I think I'm going to build one.  I've seen some plans and what not on the web, but I'm looking to make a "slim profile" model that won't take up quite as much floor space.  I plan to use a flat panel monitor.

For those that don't know, it's basically an arcade machine that runs an emulator with thousands of classic games.

MAME example:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
i work in the coin op industry and unless you are good at troubleshooting and  repairing electrical  problems, you wont get to play it much.  just get an emulator and play them on your computer.  those kinds of gmaes are a money pit with no bottom.

SW
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]
it's on my list of things to do
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i work in the coin op industry and unless you are good at troubleshooting and  repairing electrical  problems, you wont get to play it much.  just get an emulator and play them on your computer.  those kinds of gmaes are a money pit with no bottom.

SW

that's the beauty of it, it is a computer running an emulator. you just put it in an arcade cabinet
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I always wanted to make one. Oh and for everyone who doesn't know Mame is an arcade emulator.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

SW

You misunderstand what a MAME machine is.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i work in the coin op industry and unless you are good at troubleshooting and  repairing electrical  problems, you wont get to play it much. just get an emulator and play them on your computer.  those kinds of games are a money pit with no bottom.

SW

This is exactly what he'll be doing.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
It's on my to-do list. :)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a machine from Sears on closeout.   Paid $400 for the whole thing.
Cabinet, controls, monitor, etc.
It had 20 old games.   Centipede, asteroids, battlezone, etc.
It was called the Extreme Arcade.

Well that wasn't enough, so I ripped it apart and put a regular PC in it running MAME.
Then I downloaded all the MAME roms over Bittorrent and now I have a machine with over 4000 games on it.
Total cost was around $600.

You should look for a old coin op machine to build your own, or pay the big bucks for a regular MAME machine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's on my to-do list. :)

same here
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You should look for a old coin op machine to build your own, or pay the big bucks for a regular MAME machine.

Nah, they're too big.  The one I plan to make will use half the floor space or less of the typical MAME build.  I'm going to use an LCD monitor and a slim form factor PC.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine is huge into the MAME cabinets.  He built two if I remember correctly.

He also restored an old Super Pac Man machine a while back:  Super Pac Mac Project
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Haven't done a cabinet, but I built a joystick that sits on your lap for playing in front of the tv. It's not nearly as involved, but the old games are still tons of fun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]
You should be able to get a real arcade game for not too much. I got a Donkey Kong from my father in law.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I've wanted to for years.  Content with just running em on a PC outside a cabinet for now.

This is a good site to check out if you're gonna do a lot of the work yourself http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

I'd check craigslist for people trying to get rid of old gutted cabinets.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You should be able to get a real arcade game for not too much. I got a Donkey Kong from my father in law.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/alexmartinjr/DK.jpg  

Except I want half the floor size of that one

Plus you can only play one game on that one...I want to play hundreds or thousands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top