Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2005 5:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 5:05:12 PM EDT by mobius]
I started this hobby about 5 or 6 years ago, and built up a nice collection of soviet medals and orders, and uniforms.........but the prices on them are really through the roof. I bought a airborne KLMK "computer pattern" 4 piece cotton uniform for like 15 bucks, now you can't find one that isn't the 100 plus dollar range.

so fess up, who else collects militaria from the "evil empire"?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:04:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 5:05:11 PM EDT by jkstexas2001]
What will you pay for a KGB badge - a real one? Someone I know owns one, I think he got it after the fall of the Soviet Union in the late 80's when the KGB "dissolved" and took another form.

By the way, are you a "comrade", Cyanide?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:13:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:
What will you pay for a KGB badge - a real one? Someone I know owns one, I think he got it after the fall of the Soviet Union in the late 80's when the KGB "dissolved" and took another form.

the soviet union collapsed in 91.......is this the kind of badge he has?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 5:18:16 PM EDT by jkstexas2001]

Originally Posted By mobius:

the soviet union collapsed in 91.......is this the kind of badge he has?

shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/210000/212800/212875/products/6044341.jpg

It looks similar to that, but it is in a leather wallet. I remember when the USSR fell, BTW, things just get a little fuzzy with age.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:21:35 PM EDT
I collect Russian mail order brides.................

www.tridentconnections.com/
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:22:16 PM EDT
I used to collect assorted helmets, hats and militaria, sold most of it when I returned from Germany. The stuff I do have left was given to me as gifts from family and friends. I still have a Soviet Air Force Officers hat and a Czech Artillery Officers hat.

My Czech brother-in-laws nephew stole it from a pub in Czechoslovakia where some officers were getting drunk, guess one went back to his post hatless. I traded a BDU top for it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:24:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 5:24:53 PM EDT by jkstexas2001]

Originally Posted By Dru:
I collect Russian mail order brides.................

www.tridentconnections.com/

Do you like beet soup? They are pretty, but keep them THE HECK OUT of the kitchen.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 5:29:12 PM EDT by FishKepr]
I don't know if it's still there, but for a while there was a store in the Pier 39 shopping center in San Francisco called "From Russia with Love." They sold all kinds of russian stuff, including authentic Soviet military and KGB uniforms. Brand new, not used surplus. The uniforms were pretty expensive though. I bought a "KGB Academy" T-shirt and it got a few laughs at the gym.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:35:47 PM EDT
I have several complete uniforms and good collection of medals.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:37:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 5:52:13 PM EDT by mobius]

It looks similar to that, but it is in a leather wallet. I remember when the USSR fell, BTW, things just get a little fuzzy with age.

it's a strong possibility that the KGB badge might be a fake......KGB medals badges etc are the most faked pieces out there, next to the higher order medals and some of the capture medals.......the picture I posted is not a KGB badge of anykind, it's just a "fantasy piece" that never existed, it's made right here in the US.

a friend of mine got took, he showed me a screw back ORDER OF THE RED BANNER, that he bought off the web.......I hated to tell him what he bought was a fake, I pointed out the sloppy enamel workmanship, the crudely applied screwback on the piece, and the sloppy mintmark, it wasn't even a decent fake.......needelss to say he wasn't a happy camper.

as for KGB uniforms........you have to watch yourself, what you think is genuine is nothing but a reproduction, some of the clothing companies that use to make uniforms during the soviet era, now are making uniforms for the American market.......so unless you know what you are looking for, or deal with reputable dealers that give a 100 percent guarentee that what you are buying is genuine, I wouldn't risk buying one, you can be taken big time.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:52:31 PM EDT

it's a strong possibility that the KGB badge might be a fake......KGB medals badges etc are the most faked pieces out there, next to the higher order medals and some of the capture medals.......the picture I posted is not a KGB badge of anykind, it's just a "fantasy piece" that never existed, it's made right here in the US.

a friend of mine got took, he showed me a screw back ORDER OF THE RED BANNER, that he bought off the web.......I hated to tell him what he bought was a fake, I pointed out the sloppy enamel workmanship, the crudely applied screwback on the piece, and the sloppy mintmark, it wasn't even a decent fake.......needelss to say he wasn't a happy camper.

as for KGB uniforms........you have to watch yourself, what you think is genuine is nothing but a reproduction, some of the clothing companies that use to make uniforms during the soviet era, now are making uniforms for the American market.......so unless you know what you are looking for, you can be taken big time. or deal with reputable dealers that give a 100 percent guarentee that what you are buying is genuine, I wouldn't risk buying one.

i

Unless they make fake ones in Moscow, the one he showed me is real. The shield shape was similar, it was red and gold, I do not remember the wording or exact arrangement of symbols. I saw it three years ago. I doubt he'd sell it, though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 6:25:55 PM EDT by mobius]

Unless they make fake ones in Moscow, the one he showed me is real.

where do you think all the fakes are coming from? russia is the place for making those fakes, and moscow is the mecca for peddling fakes to tourist. unless you know excatly what you are looking for, you just can't say it genuine..........it might be, but the odds are more that it might be a fake
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 6:52:21 PM EDT by yankee56]
For those of you who are collecting Russian medals, be aware. Many of those medals were taken from the corpses of buried Russian soldiers. Their graves would be dug up and their medals would be stolen. How do I know this? When I was in Russia I was told by my wife that she did not want me to buy any medals from the Great Patriotic War as many of them were being sold by grave robbers. There were guys selling medals everywhere. I think the whole country was for sale. I should have bought the Hermitage. The only war medals I have are my father-in-law's. But my mother-in - law got me the flag the flew over the government building in the town. They were happy to get rid of it. And my mother-in-law was a bigwig in the town so there was no problem. Hell, I have Soviet medals and badges stored all over the house in boxes. Don't even know where half of them are. But hanging in the closet is a colonel's uniform and a camoflage uniform.

But just remember guys, that some of those medals you have might have belonged to some Russian soldier whose grave was robbed and his medals stolen. Makes you think, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 7:55:13 PM EDT by jkstexas2001]
The fellow ran a shop called The Spy Shop off of Burnet Road. I'll ask him if its real or not...
likely not.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 7:20:54 PM EDT by neilfj]
I got a bunch of naval ones. Don't know exactly what they are, I'll have to find and google them.

I got them about 30-35 years ago. A couple Russian ships docked in Boston Harbor. A cruiser and a destroyer, if I remember correctly. I had a cheap Polaroid camera and was taking pictures on the deck of the cruiser during a tour. They had never seen anything like it. They were trading me the medals off their uniforms in exchange for a Polaroid of them. Got a box full of stuff and probably have some of the polaroids laying around somewhere too.

One thing I noticed was that all the medals were very cheap tin. Nothing like the USN medals/ribbons/insignia I was familiar with.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:19:57 PM EDT
Some of their Naval hats showed a definite lack of fashion sense ....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:20:06 PM EDT
Here's a few of mine.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:38:27 PM EDT

I have this Soviet badge, can anyone identify it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:48:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DienBienPhu54:
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/cyberdyne101/IM000888.jpg

I have this Soviet badge, can anyone identify it?

Ahh, yes...the Red Guards badge. All airborne soldiers in the Soviet army were awarded that particular insignia. I have that very piece in my collection.

Much of my collection I obtained from a gentlemen out of Brooklyn, NY named Alexei Merezhko, a Russian expatriate. Although it has been a few years since I have bought anything from him, I always had excellent luck and excellent service in my dealings with him. I will look through my papers and see if I can find his contact info.

I have a ton of shoulder boards and sleeve insignias, along with a few medals. I'll have to post some pics when I get the time.

Have fun.

- PM

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:59:21 PM EDT

as for KGB uniforms........you have to watch yourself, what you think is genuine is nothing but a reproduction, some of the clothing companies that use to make uniforms during the soviet era, now are making uniforms for the American market.......so unless you know what you are looking for, or deal with reputable dealers that give a 100 percent guarentee that what you are buying is genuine, I wouldn't risk buying one, you can be taken big time.

Dude you ARE SO CYANIDE.

I have a few Russian Berets. 2 blue ones and 3 black ones. I dont remember what they signified though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:16:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 10:20:19 PM EDT by mobius]

Originally Posted By WildBoar:

Dude you ARE SO CYANIDE.

I have a few Russian Berets. 2 blue ones and 3 black ones. I dont remember what they signified though.

blue one are airborne.......black ones are worn by naval infantry and some spetsnaz units,

I have those, pretty common and easy to find

as for the cyanide comment......whatever dude, if it makes you happy to think I'm someone else, then by all means jack your dick and be happy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:24:25 PM EDT
I've got some stuff I picked up working for the U.S. Navy as a Russian linguist. Mostly naval stuff naturally... we did a visit with the Udaloy class BPK Marshal Shaposhnikov and I've got all kinds of memorabilia from that. The Russians hadn't paid their guys in months so they were pretty much selling the uniforms off their backs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:26:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By migradog:
Here's a few of mine.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/borderguy/Apr0308.jpg

Awsome!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:32:30 PM EDT
I bought a handful of Soviet insignia when I was in Berlin not long after the wall fell. There were LOTS of people selling stuff in the public areas near the old checkpoints.

Too bad all they had when I was there were small sizes or I'd have bought a nice Russian military cap or full uniform. Everything was CHEEEEEAP, with the dollar as strong as it was then...

Jim
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:01:24 AM EDT
I've got a little bit. Cap, a real helmet, russian jacket. Also got a full grey uniform in the closet with blue shoulder boards. Not sure what service.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:07:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ViperEH:
I've got a little bit. Cap, a real helmet, russian jacket. Also got a full grey uniform in the closet with blue shoulder boards. Not sure what service.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/ViperEH/NP.jpg

Nice krink.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:25:18 AM EDT
I was in the former soviet union 5 times in the last few years, always trading things for military gear. Actually got stopped in the airport with an NVD that i got for discman and hendrix cd (1998). but for those new yorkers there is a fantastic russian military shop on e14th st right off of union square- next door to the beauty bar.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:22:44 AM EDT
Several years ago, I was lightering a Russian ship. One of the deckhands invited me over and opened up his coat. It was like something out of a movie.(Wanna buy a watch?)

His coat had a whole bunch of hooks on the inside and was full of Soviet shit.

I bought a belt, which I sometimes wear. Some shoulderboards and a medal or 2.

I'll have to break them out.

The poor bastards were wearing gloves that were mittens made out of BURLAP, 2 layers on the palm. I felt bad and sent up a box of our used gloves and damned near started a riot over them.

Incidentally, the FIRST words foriegn seaman learn is 'Sex magazine? You have sex magazine?"

We used to have a box of skin mags that we used to give to foreign sailors, but now we seldom lighter or bunker ships anymore, so we don't have them. You'd be astonished what we could trade for an old beat up Hustler or Playboy. We'd buy them at garage sales, flea markets, whatever for next to nothing and trade them for all sorts of stuff.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:07:40 AM EDT
Thanks Phat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:08:34 PM EDT
Just for the sake of discussion, I'm curious as to what inspired all of you to get into this hobby.

For me, it was seeing the movie GOLDENEYE, with the scenes where Bond takes on the Soviet/Russian soldiers. I thought their uniforms and insignias were really neat, and I figured that it would be cool to collect something that not too many other people would take an interest in.

Other movies like RED DAWN and THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER were inspiring as well. I recently caught a few minutes of the movie FIREFOX on AMC-TV just a day or so past. I remember seeing that at the drive-in theater when I was a kid. Talk about nostalgia.

- PM

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 8:32:07 PM EDT by mobius]
why do people collect nazi stuff?

it's a time in history where the soviet union existed, that does not exist any longer
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:59:46 AM EDT

why do people collect nazi stuff?

it's a time in history where the soviet union existed, that does not exist any longer

I inherited a Nazi Party badge from my grandfather after he passed away.

- PM
Top Top