Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2002 7:00:45 PM EDT
This is a quote from an  article in the breaking news section of the AR15.com talking about the new gun policy of Wal-Mart by Mike W. Smith President of Guned.

"Americans for Gun Safety, a moderate gun control group in Washington DC, found in a recent study that in a two and a half year period, 10,000 felons and others banned from owning a gun were able to purchase weapons because their background checks could not be completed in 3 days. "

Ok, so over 3,000 felons a year are buying firearms over the counter.  How many are being put in jail?? are not these the people that the gun laws a suppose to be effecting, and protecting the rest of society.

Living in Florida I like having the right to have a concealed carry permit, the use a gun(while committing a crime) and your done laws.

But, I have never heard of any felon even being prosecuted trying to buy a gun.  Can anybody chime in?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, believe it or not, but just last week a ding-dong was led away in cuffs when he tried to buy a gun.

I was talking to the asst. manager at a local store and he told me the story.

Seems this kid (18-19) came in to buy a gun. While my friend was on the phone to CBI (Colorado Bureau of Inv.) they called the local cops and told them to get the kid because of outstanding warrants. Sure enough, the cops showed up and cuffed the kid.

Then the idiot showed up 3 days later wanting to pick up the gun he had started to buy. (Jesus, shithead, wasn't the first time fun enough or do you want me to call the cops again!! [my comment to friend])

My friend then explained to him he would have to get it straightened out with CBI/ATF first. And that maybe he would never be able to buy a gun ever if he were looking a felony charges.

I think he was wanted for contempt of court or some such thing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Your right Troy this clown wasn't a convicted felon, yet.

But I also know the local cops have come around looking for info to build a case after CBI (who runs the NICS checks here) has informed them they rejected a purchase attempt. They are probably going after a perjury charge or something and I really don't know if there actually have been any charges filed against the people.

So while Colorado is making some sort of attempt at prosecuting felons for attempting to buy firearms I don't know of any attempt by ATF to do the same.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
So is the average of 10+ felons a day buying a gun over the counter is not important to have every one tracked down and dealt with, do we need any additional gun laws?? What is the use?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top