Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 8:26:15 PM EDT
what is a good forum to learn about coin collecting?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:30:07 PM EDT
I'm collecting coins for a new handgun. counted today, $350.00 to go.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:34:49 PM EDT
I used to read rec.collecting.coins but gave it up after signing on to ARFCOM. Too many asshats and dumbasses there.

Get the Redbook by Yeoman to start learning about coins and start buying some, good way to start is with proof and mint sets direct from the US Mint www.usmint.gov
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:40:40 PM EDT
i just bought the redbook and some magazines today.
me and my son stop at a coin store so i could buy the book and was talking to the owner told him that we where just starting to get into the coin collecting.i went to get the book of the rack and the owner gave my son a 2005 silver eagle for free.nice people but i called around before we went there to check on prices on the silver eagles and most stores where selling the 2005 for $9-$11.he was selling his for $16.

He had a nice store but if his prices are that much higher than everyone else.i can't see getting to many from him.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:42:16 PM EDT
I collect but mostly British silver and gold pieces from 1600's-1900's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:03:24 PM EDT
Get a RedBook
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:10:29 PM EDT
Loved to as a kid. But then I figured out that most of the merchants in the coin collecting business had the ethics of sewer rats.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:47:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By giacutter:
Loved to as a kid. But then I figured out that most of the merchants in the coin collecting business had the ethics of sewer rats.

Yeah, they'll lowball the uninformed, some sucker walking in and asking "what's this worth?" is likely to be screwed if they sell it. The key is being informed. Know your coin prices and you won't get screwed either selling or buying. The key to any selling/buying transaction really
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:33:44 PM EDT
I think pcgs.com has a forum.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:05:56 PM EDT
I collect US silver dollars. Mainly Morgans.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:13:10 PM EDT
I've got complete sets of Lincoln pennies, buffalo nickels except for a few key dates, complete mercury dimes except for a few key dates and bunches of proof and mint sets. I like the mercury dimes the best, reminds me of ny childhood.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:26:46 PM EDT
I just started collecting US Silver Eagles. Goto Ebay and look around there at or for coins. I got a couple there with a nice cheap price. Also try going to apmex.com/home.asp?orderid=0 I have found they're prices are nice and there is no minimum to buy. I've had very good dealings with them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:37:38 PM EDT
I'm haphazard collector, my folks had a laundrymat way back when and I'd snag silver quarters and dimes, sometimes halves. Buying proof and mint sets from the 60's on. Ever since the state quarters came out I've bought 2 silver proof sets, 2 10 coin proof sets, and 5 5 coin proof sets of each year
Now with 2 nickles, the full proof sets are 11 coins. The state quarters are the only set so far I'm collecting every one of.

I have tons of coins from foreign countries and the usual odd assortment of buffalo nickles and other US coins
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:30:20 PM EDT
i bought a few silver eagles the last few days got a 2005 Silver American Eagle Proof Ultra Cameo NGC PF69 for $35 w/shipping , 2- 2005 SILVER AMERICAN EAGLES for $20 w/shippingand 2003 Silver Eagle for $11.50 w/shipping.

2- 2005 SILVER AMERICAN EAGLES are first strikes not sure what first strike means.if someone could tell me exactley what it means i would appreciate it.

the 2003 Silver Eagle is supposed to be perfect condition they didn't have a grade to it.

i going to order some proof sets from the us mint this week.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:41:32 PM EDT
The British Silver Britannia (like the US Silver Eagle) is a beautiful coin to collect. Pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:41:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hanau:

2- 2005 SILVER AMERICAN EAGLES are first strikes not sure what first strike means.if someone could tell me exactley what it means i would appreciate it.

Typically "first strikes" means they were minted in January, BFD. Doesn't necessarily mean the first strikes from any given die. First strikes from new dies happens all year round as the dies wear out and get replaced.

History channel did a Modern Marvels on the US Mint, I loved that episode. Here's a press release I just found googling

press release
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:10:05 AM EDT
heres a couple of silver tokens

i collect silver

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:52:00 AM EDT
I've been a numismatic for a long time, but I collect mainly ancient roman and persian coinage, really just representational examples. Not rich enough to have it all. I do have a coin from every emporer's reign - or at least the time period in which he held throne....so that's something I guess.

It's a neat hobby, holding a coin that was in circulation before Christ.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:42:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:
I've been a numismatic for a long time, but I collect mainly ancient roman and persian coinage, really just representational examples. Not rich enough to have it all. I do have a coin from every emporer's reign - or at least the time period in which he held throne....so that's something I guess.

My children and I do the same, but we don't have near the collection you do. We mostly buy uncleaned Roman/Greek/Byzantine coins and have fun cleaning them. We bought a book to ID them after we get them cleaned. It's great family fun!

Balming
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:46:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Balming:

Originally Posted By swingset:

My children and I do the same, but we don't have near the collection you do. We mostly buy uncleaned Roman/Greek/Byzantine coins and have fun cleaning them. We bought a book to ID them after we get them cleaned. It's great family fun!

Balming

Yup, cleaning is the way to go....save alot of $$ that way. I bought a large lot from a find in Turkey about 10 years ago, probably 500 coins or thereabouts. I'm still not through cleaning and dating them all! Lots of fun tho.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:48:54 PM EDT
Depends on what you're collecting. "Coin collecting" is a very diverse hobby.

I used to collect early US gold and silver, but grew away from it. I have a good bud that has a pretty interesting Roman coin collection...

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12113

Top Top