Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2011 4:26:48 PM EDT
Ants have appeared in my house about a week ago. I put down some traps. Can anyone ID them and suggest a course of action that does not involve a pest company if possible

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife puts out some sticky liquid poison the ants love.  They take it back with them and it wipes out the rest of them.  I can't remember what it is called though.

In before someone says "Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure".  

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Damn it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Terra-X, but make sure kid's and pet's can't get to it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not an ant. It is the baby form of this.

Napalm?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, that top one is Joe.  He's a good dude.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I recommend having a pro with the hot shit poison come out and take care of it for you.  I've gone the self help route, run through 8 or 9 different types of traps, poisons, powders, over the course of weeks.  Didn't work.  

Called a pro out, no more ants after 24  hours.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, that top one is Joe.  He's a good dude.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ants have appeared in my house about a week ago. I put down some traps. Can anyone ID them and suggest a course of action that does not involve a pest company if possible
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/ant_001.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/ant_002.jpg

Its carpenter ants.... they need to go ASAP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_ant

http://www.google.com/images?q=carpenter+ants&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbs=isch:1&ei=XcRETbnpLcbOgAfqgpjRAQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCMQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=669

Really good info on this page regarding how to find them and treat them. read the whole page.

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/carp.htm

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Get worried when this fucker shows up

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Just make sure they're not Argentinian ants. Just saw a show about them on Animal Planet and they are a PITA to get rid of.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure what types of ants you have in WA, but could be a variety of carpenter ants as suggested above, or could be harvester ants or maybe another variety. I treat my house (perimeter) with cypermethrin and it kills them pretty well. Those little bait traps at most supermarkets etc don't seem to work on bigger ants in my experience. If you know where they are coming from you could treat them with more success (i.e prevent them from coming in). If they have a mound outside you could bait them with Amdro or something similar. I've had pretty good experiences with that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
DDT

or

Mobile Infantry

"It's a Bug house"
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Call a pro.  Start out the conversation with asking if they could come out and handle this for a hundred bucks or so.  If they want to sign you up for a contract, tell them that you want to see how they handle this...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Not sure what types of ants you have in WA, but could be a variety of carpenter ants as suggested above, or could be harvester ants or maybe another variety. I treat my house (perimeter) with cypermethrin and it kills them pretty well. Those little bait traps at most supermarkets etc don't seem to work on bigger ants in my experience. If you know where they are coming from you could treat them with more success (i.e prevent them from coming in). If they have a mound outside you could bait them with Amdro or something similar. I've had pretty good experiences with that.
I went back and added another link to my post. It says they (carpenter ants) forage at night. They recommend looking for them at night. It says they will travel up to 100yds to get food The OP may not have them in his house yet, maybe they are just looking for food.

Like you said, if he can find the galleries he could lay the smack down on them.

Good luck OP.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#16]
We have them here in MN but usually you only find that type in those huge mounds along the side of the road, they bite and sting, I would go get some ant traps they seem to work pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw a vid where someone used Tannerite to take out a hornet's nest.

Should work on ants too.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Lookin' like a fool with ants in your house.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Borax.  Google it.  I swear it works like magic.  

Basically, you leave it out with some honey.  Ants will flock to it within hours if not minutes.  They'll bring it back to their 'nest' or whatever you call where they live.  They pass the stuff around and they all eat it.  Then they all die within a day or two.  That's it.

The active ingredient in that stuff mentioned above (Terra something or other) is Borax.  Look it up and see for yourself.

Fastest and cheapest long terms solution to ants.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit, I've never seen ants like that around here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Take a closer look

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My wife puts out some sticky liquid poison the ants love.  They take it back with them and it wipes out the rest of them.  I can't remember what it is called though.

Terro Ant Killer.

Works great on those sugar eating ants.

Don't do anything against carpenter ants, fire ants, grease eating ants, etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't carpenter ants come into the house via vines and limbs and stuff touching the house on the outside. Cut back the vegetation that's toughing the house.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Terro Ant Killer.

That sounds right.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]
At least they aren't those velvet "cow killer" ants ( but those are actually wingless wasps anyways) but yeah borax works as well as just fire bomb everything
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I own and operate a pest control company.  Looks like a carpenter ant. Run a seek and destroy op to find any nests outside. Look for dark moist places, under logs, woodpiles, and rotten trees. Use any store bought insecticide to kill nests when found.  These ants have multible nests up to 100 yards from your home. Trim all trees and shrubs away from home, remove possible nesting areas from perimeter of home. To prevent future problems get a product called termidor, mix per label, remember stronger mix isnt better. Apply around doors, windows, all entry points of house, and around base of home.  PM me if you have anymore questions and I will help the best I can.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#27]
you noticed any tiny beer cans? because those kinda look like carpenter ants.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

you noticed any tiny beer cans? because those kinda look like carpenter ants.

Took me a second.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Gasoline-filled moat.  Read "Leiningen Versus the Ants" for inspiration.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Borax.  Google it.  I swear it works like magic.  

Basically, you leave it out with some honey.  Ants will flock to it within hours if not minutes.  They'll bring it back to their 'nest' or whatever you call where they live.  They pass the stuff around and they all eat it.  Then they all die within a day or two.  That's it.

The active ingredient in that stuff mentioned above (Terra something or other) is Borax.  Look it up and see for yourself.

Fastest and cheapest long terms solution to ants.

Boric Acid?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#31]

No pest control companies required!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Check for leaks.

Carpenter ants tend to like damp wood.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Siafu
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I own and operate a pest control company.  Looks like a carpenter ant. Run a seek and destroy op to find any nests outside. Look for dark moist places, under logs, woodpiles, and rotten trees. Use any store bought insecticide to kill nests when found.  These ants have multible nests up to 100 yards from your home. Trim all trees and shrubs away from home, remove possible nesting areas from perimeter of home. To prevent future problems get a product called termidor, mix per label, remember stronger mix isnt better. Apply around doors, windows, all entry points of house, and around base of home.  PM me if you have anymore questions and I will help the best I can.

Pest Pro here as well. Do what he said. All this other stuff is make believe and voodoo. Termidor....wonderful

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I pour 2 or three boxes of Borax around the house each spring. Works well. Do not use mulch or other wood products as landscaping around the house, you might as well hang up a "Old Country Buffet" sign for the ants.

And Diazinon works well IF you can still find it. Your best bet would be at a small store without much traffic as it was banned several years ago for sale.

And that's a Velvety Tree Ant I believe.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#36]
They grow up to be fucking annoying...

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Terro Ant Killer.

Yep terro kicks ass.  They also have powder for the perimeter of the house.  I've been ant free for a few months after fighting them for a year.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Around my parts if they have stripes on their backs they are carpenter ants, that generally means you have some water in wood and you have a main nest near by in your yard or a neighbors yard.

Get rid of those fuckers ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry to agree with the others, but it looks like carpenter ants.  

If you don't know how to get rid of them, call an exterminator to deal with them post haste or risk major structure damage.  They are not sugar ants.  Terro and Borax won't do squat.  You need to get harsh specific Carpenter ant bait/killer (like Suspend or something similar) and put it near/in their nesting areas and kill them all and set up a long term plan to make sure they don't come back.  Look for any sawdust/wood powder around window sills, floor boards, etc as that will help you find their nests.  

BTW - If you have a firewood pile, also check the wood pile and if you find nests get rid of it (burning it works, but do it sooner rather than later as you don't want these buggers around for long).
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Tempo
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#41]
the only thing that stops ants is making sure our floor is clean so the scouts have nothing to send the colony to collect.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Get worried when this fucker shows up

http://www.badmovies.org/tvshows/outerlimits/zanti/zanti_cap3.jpg

I remember that episode of "the Twilight Zone" from back in the '60's!

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#43]

One of my favorite "scary" movies!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pest Pro here as well. Do what he said. All this other stuff is make believe and voodoo. Termidor....wonderful

I've always wondered this but you two are the first two pest pros I've seen on here so I'll ask you.  What kind of magic poisons do you have that homeowners don't?  Do you guys have higher risks of cancer because of it?  Where do you buy your super poisons from?  Basically, I just want to know a bit about your business.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Cyper WP.  

Spray the underside of the eaves, and a band around the top of the wall about a foot wide.  Spray the crap out of things like the soffit vents, and any penetrations on the house.  Then spray your normal perimeter like you would with any other pesticide.   That way if a shrub is touching the house, they can't jump the ground level barrier & head into the attic.

Cyonara 9.7 is great stuff too.  Empty the cabinets under the sink.  Spray the back wall under the sink.  Pull the dishwasher out & spray behind it - top to bottom & walls.  Pull the refrigerator out & spray behind that.  

Be prepared to sweep up interesting crawlies in the kitchen the next morning.   Both of those have decent residual, you will find dead bugs for a couple of months at least.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I used Boric Acid and it worked pretty good. If you see a nest or hill, boiling water with dish soap and several tea spoons of essential oil (Neem,Lavendar,Clovve) will work. Or gas.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I had some big black ants running around my house... saw them one or two every day or two. They looked like the pictured ants but black. I got some of those square plastic baits that they enter, get food and return home to poison the colony with. I also got some clear plastic square tube ones with liquid in them. I put them all over in dark places and about tripled the suggested amount of them. I put some near where I saw similar ants outside. Probably a week later was the last time I saw one. So what gives? Did they work or did something else cause them to GTFO?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I used Boric Acid and it worked pretty good. If you see a nest or hill, boiling water with dish soap and several tea spoons of essential oil (Neem,Lavendar,Clovve) will work. Or gas.

Boric acid is what the project dwellers in the ghetto use for roaches.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Not sure if it works on carpenter ants, but Ortho Fireant Killer does a number on all the ants in my neck of the woods

If you sprinkle 1/4 tsp on top of a harvester ant mound, you have enough time to go get a beer and lawn chair. Within 10 minutes they all start coming out of the mound and attacking each other . For some reason they no longer recognize each other, and go into hive protection mode. Less than 24 hours, no more ants.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Hire it done...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top