Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 1:01:42 PM EST
nuff said...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:06:38 PM EST
and...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:08:27 PM EST
I dunno, just thought I'd point it out. The whole episode pisses me off though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:09:56 PM EST
at the end the NRA saves the day!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:10:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 1:12:38 PM EST by Greenhorn]
You mean the one where Homer buys a gun and Marge doesn't like it?

I think it's pretty balanced. They have a lot of wrong stuff, like the "statistics" Lisa gives, but they also portray gun owners, even ones with AWs, as quite responsible.

I always loved the part when Homer gets the gun, and the gunstore guy says, "I suppose you'll want all the accessories. The silencer, the loudener, and this is for shooting down police helicoptors." Homer responds, "Oh, I don't need that. . . . yet."
And the name of the gunstore, "bloodbath and beyond."
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:10:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 1:11:30 PM EST by Red_Label]
You know... the Simpsons is the ONE TV show that doesn't bother me with their statements. And that's because they make fun of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. I can deal with that sort of humor. It's when the humor is biased that I get pissed. The creators of the Simpsons have their own biases and agendas, but they make fun of even those on that show. I LOVE THE SIMPSONS!!!

BTW... That anti-gun show was hard for me to watch 'cause I knew that the anti's were eating it up, but no questin about it -- it WAS FUNNY. And sad to say, there are some gun owners out there who are as stupid as Homer in that show.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:11:16 PM EST
You mean "Homer Gets a Gun"? That ep is hysterical, and VERY balanced.

I wish I had the balls to open up a gunshop called Bloodbath and Beyond.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:13:02 PM EST
I love that episode (The Cartridge Family"). I really wouldn't call it "anti-gun (at the end Marge rescues Homers handgun from the trash). Matt Groening makes fun of everything.

Besides... where do you think I got my Homer avatar from?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:15:01 PM EST
I don't think it is balanced. They have Lisa state that the 2nd amenment is obsolete and meaningless, they portray gun owners as being reckless, and make the NRA out to be a organization of whackos. True, everything in the episode is satirical, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:16:48 PM EST
I really doubt that the Simpsons is shaping anyone's social or political views.

That episode is HILARIOUS! It's about my favorite Simpsons episode. The stereotypes are over the top, and Marge turns out to be a gun nut after all.

And Red_Label is right. The Simpsons satirizes everyone and everything.

Remember, it's a comedy, it's for entertainment purposes, it's not the evening news.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:19:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:22:20 PM EST
hey, I laugh at it to, but I still think it gives bad impressions to regular non-gun owning people.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:24:07 PM EST
That is my fav episode also. When Marge accidently scans maggie thru the supermarket scanner, the little display which usually shows the price, shows "join the NRA."
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:28:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 1:29:00 PM EST by MisterSuzuki]
Lets not forget the episode when France nuked the USA, and brain eating Zombies were out in force........Bart/Lisa/Marge all had guns, and that saved them from the SHTF Zombie menace!

"silencer, loudener" part was hilarious.......I liked Homer's reaction to the waiting period!

Cracks me up....and also, when they run Maggie through the checkout, as I remember correctly, it says "NRA4EVER", or something to that effect.

Then there's Homer's lost brother episode....he buys Bart a lifetime membership in the NRA, so that he will still be able to own "cyanide tipped, armor piercing bullets".

Originally Posted By QuantumPion:
hey, I laugh at it to, but I still think it gives bad impressions to regular non-gun owning people.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:58:45 PM EST
it went something like this

Herb: "Now Bart, you're too young to own a machine gun, but I got you the next best thing... A lifetime membership in the National Rifle Association so when you grow up you still can."

Bart: "Can I get armor-piercing, cyanide-tipped bullets?"

Uncle Herb: "It's in the Constitution, Son!"

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:03:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By QuantumPion:
I don't think it is balanced. They have Lisa state that the 2nd amenment is obsolete and meaningless, they portray gun owners as being reckless, and make the NRA out to be a organization of whackos. True, everything in the episode is satirical, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Remember that Lisa always states the far left wing, out a sync with the mainstream, opinion, whenever they cover anything remotely controversial.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:08:50 PM EST
I think they polk fun at the anti-gunners more then the gun owners because of stuff like Bart said about the bullets. Lots of anti gun types think that stuff like that is real but we, as gun owners, know better and can laugh at it.

I also like the King of the Hill episoide where Bobby gets a rifle and is good at shooting, very pro-gun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:08:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 2:09:21 PM EST by Mister44]
This Simpsons are hillarious and pokes fun at everyone and everything - nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:20:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 2:21:09 PM EST by hickboy]

Originally Posted By warlord:
That is my fav episode also. When Marge accidently scans maggie thru the supermarket scanner, the little display which usually shows the price, shows "join the NRA."

No, it says, "NRA4EVER." I love that episode.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:21:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bigheadcal:
it went something like this

Herb: "Now Bart, you're too young to own a machine gun, but I got you the next best thing... A lifetime membership in the National Rifle Association so when you grow up you still can."

Bart: "Can I get armor-piercing, cyanide-tipped bullets?"

Uncle Herb: "It's in the Constitution, Son!"

Bart: Lets buy a machine gun, we can use it to spell things out, hunt gangs or ring in the new year

other great simpsons gun line

Lenny: Assault weapons have gotten a lot of bad press lately, but they're manufactured for a reason: to take out today's modern super animals, such as the flying squirrel and the electric eel
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:26:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 2:27:13 PM EST by Steve_T_M]
It's satire- lighten up. I thought the episode was balanced. The local gun club saves them all at the end.

"Guns are for self defense, hunting dangerous and delicious animals, and keepin' the king of England outta ya face."
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:28:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:30:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:31:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 2:33:12 PM EST by the]

Originally Posted By MisterSuzuki:
Cracks me up....and also, when they run Maggie through the checkout, as I remember correctly, it says "NRA4EVER", or something to that effect.

If ARFCOM ever has a GD FAQ, right below the type of gun Pacino uses in HEAT, and above the definition of MARPATshould be this:

5. Matt Groening: pro-gun?

Contrary to the fact that a "best of" episode of The Simpsons claimed "NRA4EVER" appears on the checkout display as Maggie is scanned, Matt Groening is not in fact, pro-gun. He is as leftist as Noam Chomsky, supports leftist causes, and despises the NRA. It is sometimes thought of as humorous to proffer a message so "outlandish" and contrary to one's actual views as to appear absurd. This is known to some as sarcasm.

Not saying you thought that, MrSuzuki, but you'd be amazed at how many think Groening is an NRA advocate because of it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:34:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By hickboy:

Originally Posted By warlord:

No, it says, "NRA4EVER." I love that episode.

That was just a gag for the simpsons special with Troy McClure... It really says $847.63.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:28:55 PM EST
You're not supposed to open a can of beer with a 124 gr. 9mm?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:46:27 PM EST
You might think I'm crazy..... It's been a long time ago and I used to drink a lot then....

At the beginning of the show when the checkout girl scans maggie. The scanner display says "NRA Forever". I had to use frame by frame to see it clear enough to read. Now that I have it on DVD I've tried to find it again but have failed to do so. It may have been used only once, who knows. My best friend and drinking buddy was with me and saw it also, so I have a witness.

Has anyone else seen this?
Top Top