Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 6:14:01 PM EDT
Nice Sunday afternoon so I decide to head to my local free public range. I first go over to the 50 yard line with my LMT M4gery. I'm the only one on the line except for 2 guys in their early 20s and a girl who is with them 2 stalls down. I remove the LMT from my range bag, and the first thing I get is;

HIM: "Is that an M16?" - which I thought was odd since he had an AR himself
ME: "No, just an AR"
HIM: "Hey, I got one too, let me see if they're the same, is yours the M4A3?"

He comes over and he has a nice new Bushmater M4gery with removable carry handle. He then starts pointing at my Larue rail, vertical grip, and flattop to show the differences.

ME: "Yep, I see..."
HIM: "And then you got this" - he points to my Harris bipod that I had on LT mount for sighting in my Eotech, "What is it, a laser?"
ME: "No, it's a bipod"
HIM: "What's that?"

I politely show him the purpose of a bipod I'm getting a little annoyed at this point.

HIM: "You just get back from Iraq?"
ME: "Ummm, no..."
HIM: "You in the Marines, or Army?"
ME: "Nope, just like to shoot"
HIM: "...cause that gun is straight up military..."

I finally get to shoot, and they go about their business. After I'm done there I go over to the 25 yard line to shoot my 9mm AR (a complete hoot by the way). Just my luck the 2 dudes haven't left but had just gone to drop the girl off. Up he walks again to look at my 9mm AR.

HIM: "Is that a different one?"
ME: "Yep, its a 9mm - shoots a handgun caliber"
HIM: "Sweet, do you know where to get an automatic trigger?"
ME: "An automatic trigger, you mean to turn it into a machinegun?"
HIM: "Yeah"
ME: "That's illegal"
HIM: "No, you can get them at the gun show but you need a special license and wait for 6 months"
ME: "Yeah, you can get a registered M16 for about $15,000"
HIM: "Oh..." (I can tell that he thinks I'm full of shit)

I was able to break away and get back to shooting. He breaks out the 'ol Dirty Harry .44 Mag and shoots the target stand in half. In complete glee he spits outs a few "fucking this, fucking that, shit, man!" He then watches me shoot some. Much to my dismay he starts up a new conversation.

HIM: "That thing sounds awesome, almost like an automatic"
ME: "It's just a 9mm"
HIM: "It sounds futuristic"

I really don't know how to respond to this nonsense. I mean I like talking guns with people at the range and have run into my fair share of dolts, but this guy was taking the cake. Next he starts telling me what guns he has,

HIM: "Got a Walther P22 with a laser, I like that hi-tech shit"
ME: "I like those little P22s, those are pretty fun to shoot"
HIM: "Yeah, earlier we were over at the shotgun range shooting a saw-offed shotgun..."

I packed up and left.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
At least he didn't say he was a SEAL

...haha...I probably could have and he would have believed me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember the Charlie Brown cartoons on TV? When the teacher spoke all you heard was "mwa blah blam bla blah blah". When someone like your buddy starts rambling on, that's all I can ever think about, those Charlie Brown cartoons.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I despise gun owners like this, they ruin it for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
How so?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How so?

Were you the guy at his range asking the questions?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
His overall carelessness and attitude. A couple of other guys told me that while they were over at the skeet range shooting clays on the ground from the hip.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The questions don't bother me as much as the careless shooting.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I despise gun owners like this, they ruin it for the rest of us.

I know what you mean. I would probably rather have some old deer hunter grumble at me for being so delinquint as to actually shoot an AK at "his" range, than have some annoying poser try and "educatize" me with his vast "knowledge" for twenty minutes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoulda bumpfired a 30 round magazine.  He'd befoul himself.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like he was pretty enthusiastic.  How about you try and help this guy get better than just be mad at him?  We were all newbies once.  Try and remember that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sounds like he was pretty enthusiastic.  How about you try and help this guy get better than just be mad at him?  We were all newbies once.  Try and remember that.

I was more than patient w/ him. Yes, I was a newbie once and I'm still learning. But I never bragged about having a "saw offed shotgun," nor did I use profanity while trying to shoot down the stand.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Dude, I was just trying to be friendly towards you!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My apologies, you can shoot my M16 and futuristic 9mm anytime.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My apologies, you can shoot my M16 and futuristic 9mm anytime.

coo , man.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Not everyone has the INTERNET you know.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]
kind of like the argument i got in with some kid...

him: hey man, i know all about dem' A2 sights!
me: oh?
him:  yeah man, you gotta aim at someone's balls if you want to hit them in the head at 75 yards.
me: umm...  
him:  this dude in the army told me and i shot one of those guns before, so i know!
me: i bet you do
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
With all that yapping, you sure he wasn't a woman in disguise? D'oh!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

...or brains
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...or brains

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
at least he didn't call his laser  a 'beamz'.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
at least he didn't call his laser  a 'beamz'.

...that he didn't. I don't think I could have contained my laughter if he did.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I hate idiots.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#26]
as long as they arent careless, "dolts" don't bother me much. but what really ticks me is when I take non-gunner people shooting then they don't put much effort into it. I try to show them how to hold a gun properly and it doesnt get through, always reminding them to keep the finger off the trigger, not really aiming just blasting and using up my ammo....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm a guy in my early 20's and I pray every day that I am not a range dolt.

I usually keep my mouth shut, powder dry and all that, though I will walk around and eyeball other people's guns.

Is it poor ettiquite to offer someone a few dollars to let me shoot a mag on a gun I am thinking about buying?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#28]
That's the reason I want to be left alone when I'm at the range.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I usually keep my mouth shut, powder dry and all that, though I will walk around and eyeball other people's guns.

Is it poor ettiquite to offer someone a few dollars to let me shoot a mag on a gun I am thinking about buying?

If you have a different gun than theirs, offer to let them shoot it. perhaps round for round.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I wouldn't think it to be poor etiquette. I enjoy talking guns and love to learn all I can. I just don't like the irresponsible kids who think they're playing a video game.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
kind of like the argument i got in with some kid...

him: hey man, i know all about dem' A2 sights!
me: oh?
him:  yeah man, you gotta aim at someone's balls if you want to hit them in the head at 75 yards.
me: umm...  
him:  this dude in the army told me and i shot one of those guns before, so i know!
me: i bet you dohr

With his aiming skills he might be right
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I usually just answer with alot of "Oh really?"s and, "No kidding"s.  Usually keeps me out of alot of convos I don't want to be in.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have a different gun than theirs, offer to let them shoot it. perhaps round for round.  

Unless it's .22 LR for 50BMG.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I offer even my last mag to someone who is jelous of my AR.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I was at a range this weekend with a friend and his girlfriend. We saw this dude with 2 AR's, one was a 9mm. Since we were just coming from a gunshow, where I was talking to a ex delta SEAL, who said I could buy a automatic trigger, but i didn't have enough money

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top