Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 3:38:24 PM EDT
I'm trying to make an animated gif for my avatar. The 20 kb limit is seriously getting in the way. My normal avatars are 15kb as it is? How do I shrink my pictures so that they are small enough to make into a gif? How many images do you think I could string together.

Anyone know any good gif animator programs for free. I have access to CS2.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it will be difficult to make a decent .gif under 20k. Basically, a .gif has an index of colors and then from there displays a matrix that refers to the colors. An animated .gif shares the colors throughout all the frames. If you only have four colors, then you're fine for a 12 frame .gif

If you have a more realistic 128 or 256 color gif, then your options are severely limited.

I think CS2 is the Photoshop/Imageready combo such that Imageready can do the sequences. I cant remember which creative suite brought animation into PS, but I think that was the third. Anyhow, the help file should ahve some pretty good detail on making the frame sequence, seconds for each frame, etc.

Hope that helped somewhat. Need to get out the door!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think it will be difficult to make a decent .gif under 20k. Basically, a .gif has an index of colors and then from there displays a matrix that refers to the colors. An animated .gif shares the colors throughout all the frames. If you only have four colors, then you're fine for a 12 frame .gif

If you have a more realistic 128 or 256 color gif, then your options are severely limited.

I think CS2 is the Photoshop/Imageready combo such that Imageready can do the sequences. I cant remember which creative suite brought animation into PS, but I think that was the third. Anyhow, the help file should ahve some pretty good detail on making the frame sequence, seconds for each frame, etc.

Hope that helped somewhat. Need to get out the door!

Alright cool thanks. I'll play around with the color index and Imageready. I guess my dreams of a 10 frame full color .gif are gone now.

Oh well, looks like I got a night of P.S.ing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top