Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/28/2001 6:10:12 PM EST
I have a complete upper half and a complete barrel assem. I want to remove the barrel on the upper half and replace it with the new barrel assem. The gunsmith I talked to tried to tell me that he has to remove the front sight base and that it is really hard to do. Then he told me it would cost $50 minimum. What is a fair price to pay for barrel replacement? I know he was bull shitting me about the front sight base. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:21:03 PM EST
you can leave the sight on in some cases if the tube will come out the back. the easiest way to do it is by removing the sight. And its not that hard to do. We would be happy to do it for you for $30, but you would have to pay the shipping. Hope this helps, Denise
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:51:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:53:28 PM EST
Well the front site holds the gas tube. The gas tube keys the barrel nut in place so it can not be loosened untill the gas tube is removed. So either you can remove the gas tube by driving out the pin and yanking it from the front site then the barrel nut can be taken loose. Gas tube might or might not be damaged in a removal like this. Or you can remove the front site base taking the gas tube with it. Then the barrel nut can come off. So the only way to do this without removing the front site is if your new barrel has the barrel nut/delta ring already installed. The barrel nut can not come off the barrel unless the front site is removed. Of course if you are talking a front site detatchable base over a fixed front site this is different. A barrel nut can slip off over a cut down front site. As typically used on flat-top guns. Same holds true for a Free Float tube install. it can't slip on over a std. site base. Now front site bases come off easily. Unless you get one with pins that won't budge. Then you are talking heavy presses and carbide drill bits. If you find a gunsmith who will do this for $50 go for it. I would think that would qualify as a minimum shop charge.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:40:37 AM EST
btt, I need some input. Is $20 to little?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:04:48 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:10:08 AM EST
Perhaps someone at a local plumbing shop has a large pipe wrench who could get it done for you. After all it's only a $1000 rifle. I am sure they would do a fine job.
Top Top