Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/26/2003 9:21:02 AM EDT
Has political correctness gone too far?

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave" and filed a discrimination complaint with the county's Office of Affirmative Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature," Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.

Dennis Tafoya, director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that an "exhaustive search" had been undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more "appropriate" ones. A form was sent to all departments to identify equipment carrying the labels "master" and "slave" or any other offensive terms.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as "nothing more than a request" and not an ultimatum or policy change.

"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do," he said. "It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally."

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all equipment carrying the "master" and "slave" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms with suppliers.

"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees," he said. "We have to take these things seriously."

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he's received "telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired" he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to reexamine their labels.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:30:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/26/2003 9:31:18 AM EDT by StariVojnik]
SO what now? Are they going to change the name of the Washington Redskins? Atlanta Braves? How many other politically incorrect names are out there?....Sheeple need to get a grip. If that bothers someone that much, i'd stay away from them. "we are culturally sensitive" ....what a pansy! LOLOLOLOLOL!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:33:47 AM EDT
Give me an f'n break!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:35:57 AM EDT
so how about the word [b]Bitch[/b] instead?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:45:35 AM EDT
I think pimp/ho would be much more culturally acceptable, no? [:/]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:51:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pale_pony: so how about the word [b]Bitch[/b] instead?
View Quote
[lol]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:15:23 AM EDT
Anybody have his e-mail? I want to be sure he gets some more e-mails telling him how stupid he is.......
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:20:03 AM EDT
Orwell was right. The language will be twisted so as to remove all vestages of the undesired... PC=Newspeak...
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:20:51 AM EDT
How lame... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:30:46 AM EDT
You have got to be freaking kidding me. I use those labels on equipment all the time, and will continue to do so... Asswipes.... MournSword
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:39:37 AM EDT
The PC thugs are also ruining Halloween. Here in Salt Lake, some lady with a bug up her ass and a chair on City Council decided that some Halloween costumes are (GASP!) offensive. So instead of dressing up like a Indian, she recommended doing something fun instead, like a carrot. And instead of being a witch, she likes the idea of being a celery stick. Oh, Boy! We're having fun now. Let's not forget that PC bug has bitten some moderators around here. It was only a few short days ago when a topic was locked for fear of offending dwarfs who might be thinking of joing AR-15. Fear of offending or fear of lossing the almighty dollar. You decide.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:49:38 AM EDT
They should re-label them to a Pimp/Ho relationship. Let's see how many panties get in a wad then.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:49:44 AM EDT
Were any slaves even owned in California? Whats next master cylinder?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:57:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:49:22 PM EDT
This isn't political correctness - this is insanity. One person bitches about it, and the city is brought to its knees. Just because those terms have other connotations, means absolutely nothing in the tech world. Maybe we should ban the word black, since blacks prefer to be called African-Americans. We need to come up with a different name for the color black, or outlaw it all together. Craziness....
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:00:04 PM EDT
I'd go with CEO and Programmer. NsB
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:45:17 PM EDT
Instead, how about you require "master" drives to be painted black while "slave" drives to be painted white. That should appease these people right? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:09:30 PM EDT
this is alittle over the top... master and slave... WTF... pretty soon colored pencils will no longer have "black" or "white" and they wont be called "colored" pencils.. they will be "diffrent shades" pencil, but "diffrent" and "shades" will offend someone... this sounds like a southpark christmas special all over again.... DOWN WITH THE PC BULL SHIT!!! i still cant figure this out...you can't call "black" people "black", but you can call a white person white, or even call them a trailer trash redneck hillbilly and no one gives a damn.... WTF?? and and get this... i found out "poo" is now a curse word... WTF??
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:19:08 PM EDT
Uhhh, help me out here fellas, what should I now call the slave cylinder in my hydraulic clutch?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:20:47 PM EDT
In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.
View Quote
In IDE, the controller on the MASTER device also controls the SLAVE device. The words PRIMARY and SECONDARY don't establish the proper relationship between the two and is only correct for describing seperate IDE chains. What the fuck else are you supposed to call it? I like Pimp and Ho.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:21:12 PM EDT
Un-fu*kin-believable. And those words, or MS and SL, are imprinted on the metal casing of those devices. What is this country coming to?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:21:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bdorrman: Uhhh, help me out here fellas, what should I now call the slave cylinder in my hydraulic clutch?
View Quote
Freeloading California Liberal?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:42:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By handcranked: The PC thugs are also ruining Halloween. Here in Salt Lake, some lady with a bug up her ass and a chair on City Council decided that some Halloween costumes are (GASP!) offensive. So instead of dressing up like a Indian, she recommended doing something fun instead, like a carrot. And instead of being a witch, she likes the idea of being a celery stick. Oh, Boy! We're having fun now. Let's not forget that PC bug has bitten some moderators around here. It was only a few short days ago when a topic was locked for fear of offending dwarfs who might be thinking of joing AR-15. Fear of offending or fear of lossing the almighty dollar. You decide.
View Quote
No, son. A member who has dwarfism WAS offended. I do not make decisions in the abstract.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:51:48 PM EDT
Enough explosives in the San Andreas fault should acheive the desired results to make everyone happy [:D] ANd while you're at it, come annex Western Canada Dammnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [;D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/26/2003 5:00:38 PM EDT by Cape_hunter]
I demand we change to red on a stop light because it offends the 1/10 indian that is in my blood. The green can stay as the aliens havent voiced a concern about being offended by it. Their only concern is the stereotype humans have of them(Big black eyes, HU-funcking-mungus head etc) and also wish we would stop showing the alien autospy videos. They have feeling to you know! WHAT A JOKE!! PC-ness is for pussies! CH
Top Top