Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/4/2012 12:52:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 1:45:11 AM EDT by jeffman1911]
So I thought a different spot than GD to assess this issue is appropriate. I wrote the following in one of the X# of GD threads on the Presidential race...

Originally Posted By jeffman1911:
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
I will campaign for whoever can beat Obama because even Romney will sign conservative legislation. It would be easier with a conservative president but congress is where change will come from. No president will bring us back to our founding. 200 years of fucking bullshit wont be repaired overnight. We will have to do a lot of pushing on congress to turn the ship and Romney wont stand in the way of it if it happens.

I like that.

Yeah, it would be nice to have an ideal candidate for once. Since we don't, we go with what we can.

You don't choose to starve if the only choices are: endangered animal X vs endangered animal Y. You pick X because you won't puke it up as much as Y. Or because it's easier to catch.

You can still hunt for beef while getting by on endangered hippo or rhino. We all should search for delicious freedom and liberty as often as we can.

Anything but Obama, and I hope there aren't too many super-idealists in our realistic world.

ETA: Choosing not to vote is a very profound statement. Many, many hundreds of thousands of Americans have died for us to exercise this basic human right [read: obligation]

ETA: Put blue in to highlight. Also wanted to say thanks to jinks556 below.

I'm very, very disenchanted with the GOP right now. That is SO different than abstaining... I think that's almost as bad as being an Obamabot.

After all, abstaining is basically saying either:

A) "I don't care"
B) "I'm too ignorant"
C )"I'm to idealistic to vote"

or some combination thereof.

At least voting for a third party makes a statement, but '92 shows us that it's just that.

Voting for a fourth party [no name/no chance] is saying not only A, B, and/or C above, but also pretty much: "I'm mocking the process." (though I wouldn't have it any other way, still annoying to see it. kinda like American flag burning.)

I'm just as disenchanted with the GOP on the whole as I am with fellow conservative/Republican types that are fed up like me but inanely idealistic compared to their contribution to solve the problems.

[/rant] –– I hope there are some pragmatists left around here...

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:26:16 AM EDT
I have to agree with you. I will vote for whomever gets the "R" nomination. I would like a perfect conservative all in one candidate but I know it won't be this time. I cannot bear the thought of four more Obamanation years. We will be ready to stick the fork in after that. It's bad now but come on really? I can't see a protest vote doing the least bit of good for the long term goal.

We will never get it all in one election. I'm praying for incremental wins in the congress and local races. Over time we can turn the tide. Just my two cents. But then again I'm old and have been watching this play out for awhile. Believe it or not we are gaining ground.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:18:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 3:55:18 AM EDT by douglasmorris99]
the GOP will NOT put up a complete conservative in my lifetime.

hell, REAGAN wouldnt pass most "conservative" tests of today..and The Party is no longer run by conservatives only Country Club Elites
who are just as Progressive as the Democrats but with a slightly different flavor..
how the hell you can be a Moderate Republican is beyond my kin....

Santorium is the Best bet in finding a flavor of conservatisim and he has plenty of baggage in brining home the bacon to Penn as senator..and he backed SPECTOR the
party betrayer who feared the GOP was too conservative for him!

it is going to take 2 generations of true conservatives getting involved and climbing the ladder of the GOP and taking over the national level before
we will see salvation of America under a republican front..We're nearly at the point Conservative Facism for a few years, forcing, mandating a return to Constitutional Law and
the deconstruction of the Federal Goverment and it's off shoots is the only way to save the USA...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:34:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 9:35:24 AM EDT by 3rdpig]

Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
the GOP will NOT put up a complete conservative in my lifetime.

While the party may seek some out and help them, anyone eligible can get enough signatures to get on the ballot, raise money and advertise and hope to win. Do you think the GOP "put up" Ron Paul or Michelle Bachmann?

And I'm willing to bet that what you consider a "complete conservative" isn't what many others thinks it is. Ask 10 people here and expect to get 10 different answers. Most people here think "conservative" means "libertarian". It doesn't.

Moderates tend to run and get support from the GOP because moderates tend to do well with independents and in mixed districts, and most districts are mixed. It's impossible to win anymore with just your base, you have to attract some of the moderates and independents or at least keep your opponent from doing so.

Vote for the candidate that most fits your needs with the best chance of getting elected. The perfect candidate, or your "complete conservative" doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:48:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:38:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 4:40:18 PM EDT by Peterbilt2007]
A party will not fix this country, it will take a person(leader). D or R, corruption on both sides
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:38:32 PM EDT
"One of the criticisms I make is to what I refer to as more of a libertarianish right. You know, the left has gone so far left and the right in some respects has gone so far right that they touch each other. They come around in the circle. This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone. That there is no such society that I am aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture."

-Rick Santorum

I see no difference in having a big government progressive with an "R" by his name vs one with a "D" by their name. I will not waste my vote on a big government progressive, just because he calls himself a conservative. If Paul fails to secure the GOP Nomination my vote will almost certainly be going to Gary Johnson, he actually deserves it.
Top Top