Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2007 3:11:50 AM EDT
If this is a dupe, my apologies and hopefully someone from staff will delete...

LINKY

Austrian Man Shoots Colleague, Slices off Penis in 'Honor Killing'
Thursday, October 11, 2007

Austrian Man Shoots Colleague, Slices off Penis in 'Honor Killing'
Thursday, October 11, 2007

E-Mail Print Digg This! del.icio.us
VIENNA, Austria —  Austrian authorities said Thursday they arrested an elderly Turkish-born man suspected of fatally shooting a younger Turkish associate and slicing off the victim's penis in what investigators called an "honor killing."

Police in the town of Wimpassing in the province of Lower Austria made the arrest shortly after the Wednesday night slaying, and said the suspect — described only as a 76-year-old native Turk — did not resist.

Officials said witnesses claimed the man allegedly shot the victim, a 58-year-old Turkish-born man, in the street with a shotgun at point-blank range and then cut off his penis with a knife, leaving him to bleed to death.

Two teams of surgeons worked at the scene to save the man but were unable to revive him, authorities said.

Investigators believe the suspect apparently was jealous that the younger man had flirted with his wife, and had sought him out as "a question of honor," said Franz Polzer, head of the region's criminal investigations office.

Honor killings, driven by the view that a family's honor is paramount, are an ancient tradition associated with Kurdish regions of Turkey, Iraq and Iran as well as tribal areas in Pakistan and some Arab societies.

The suspect initially fled into a nearby house after the slaying, but witnesses alerted police to his location and he walked out and surrendered shortly thereafter, Polzer said.

Police said the man appeared to have purchased the shotgun earlier on Wednesday. They said he had disposed of the knife, but that officers recovered the weapon after searching the area.

It was the first known attack of its kind in Austria, which is home to about 200,000 Turks — Europe's third-largest Turkish expatriate population after Germany and France.

But so-called honor killings have occurred elsewhere in Europe:

— In August, a federal court in Germany ordered a retrial for two brothers acquitted of fatally shooting their sister —an attack that prosecutors said was meant to punish the Turkish-German woman for her Western lifestyle.

— In Britain in July, the father and uncle of an Iraqi Kurd woman who was murdered for falling in love with the wrong man were sentenced to life in prison for ordering the killing.

— In 2006, a Danish court sentenced a Pakistani man to life imprisonment for ordering the slaying of his 19-year-old daughter, who was gunned down two days after her wedding because her family allegedly disapproved of her choice of husband.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:22:28 AM EDT
[#1]
So they are trying to preserve their family's honor by making their entire culture look like a bunch of animals?....yea, good idea...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I girl I was in high school with was murdered by her parents because she was acting too western.

Palastina Isa

In Cold Blood
Dee Joyce-Hayes
Of Counsel, Sonnenschein, Nath & Rosenthal, LLP

By 1991, then-assistant circuit attorney Dee Joyce-Hayes had already handled several cases involving rape, murder and child abuse—but nothing had prepared her for the case of 16-year-old Palestina “Tina” Isa.

“This is the only time in my life where the murder is actually caught on tape,” says Joyce-Hayes, who later served eight years as St. Louis circuit attorney.

Tina, multilingual and bright, was a popular student at Roosevelt High School and had already been awarded a college scholarship. In 1989, the FBI began to suspect that Tina’s father, Zein, was a member of an Abu Nidal terror cell. He was placed under surveillance, and the family’s apartment was bugged. What the FBI caught on tape was chilling.

Upset that their daughter was dating an African-American boy, Zein and his wife, Maria, hatched a plan to murder their daughter. When Tina arrived home one night in 1989, Maria—a big, strong woman—held her daughter down while Zein stabbed her almost 20 times with a butcher knife.

“Mother, please help me,” Tina pleaded on the tape.

Joyce-Hayes says, “There was a point where he was pricking around her left breast,” and even though Zein was speaking in Arabic, there was “a cadence to his speech.” When the tape, the translations and the photos were matched, Joyce-Hayes says, it became clear that Isa was taunting his daughter. “Are you going to be a good girl now?” he asked as he stabbed her.

High-pitched screams rushed from Tina’s mouth, replaced by moans and, finally, silence.

Both parents were convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to die. Zein became ill and died on death row. Maria’s conviction was overturned, and she was sentenced to life in prison without parole at her second trial.

No other case has ever chilled Joyce-Hayes more.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, I'm not really sure that is an "honor killing."  I see an "honor killing" as generally directed toward a family member that brought "shame" to the family.  This was a jealous husband killing another man.  While it may be extreme to cut off his johnson, that happens all the time over here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The title of the article is misleading.

It states "Austrian Man Shoots Colleague.........."

It should actually read "Turkish Man Living in Austria Shoots Colleague......."

There is a "world" of difference.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:58:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
ROP!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Honestly, I'm not really sure that is an "honor killing."  I see an "honor killing" as generally directed toward a family member that brought "shame" to the family.  This was a jealous husband killing another man.  While it may be extreme to cut off his johnson, that happens all the time over here.

I agree that this is probably not the traditional honor killing since the person was not a family member.  If they had killed the wife because someone had flirted with her then it would fit.  Also, I know that there can probably be honor killings where a man is killed, but this would be the first instance where I have actually heard of it happening.  However, I do not necessarily read that much about them so it may be more common than I think but just not reported on.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#8]
If this was a true "honor killing" would the man have disposed of the knife and hid from the police?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Maybe next time you'll post it properly before I do. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#10]
IBTD308.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't digging at you, only the title of the article which I thought was pretty misleading since it described the killer as an Austrian Man when in fact he was a Turkish ROPer .

Peace.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't digging at you, only the title of the article which I thought was pretty misleading since it described the killer as an Austrian Man when in fact he was a Turkish ROPer .

Peace.

my apologies for reading you wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top