Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 6:39:24 AM EDT
Those of you who have had it know what I am talking about. It's unlike any other chili because it's Greek chili. If you've eaten it, you either love it, or you hate it.

Which?

[url]http://www.goldstarchili.com[/url]
[url]http://www.skylinechili.com[/url]

Here's a recipe for those who want something different.:

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   3                    onions -- chopped
   6      cloves        garlic -- minced
   4      pounds        ground chuck
     1/3  cup           chili powder
   2      Tablespoons   sweet paprika
   2      teaspoons     ground cumin
   1      teaspoon      ground coriander
   1      teaspoon      ground allspice
   1      teaspoon      dried oregano -- crumbled
     1/2  teaspoon      cinnamon
     1/4  teaspoon      ground cloves
     1/4  teaspoon      ground mace
   1                    bay leaf
   3      cups          water
   1      16 oz can     tomato sauce
   2      Tablespoons   wine vinegar
   2      Tablespoons   molasses
                        spaghetti
                        kidney beans
                        chopped onion
                        grated Cheddar cheese
                        oyster crackers

In a large heavy kettle, cook the onions and the garlic in a little oil over
moderate heat, stirring, until the onions are softened, add the beef, and
cook the mixture, stirring and breaking up the lumps, until the beef is no
longer pink. Add the chili powder, the paprika, the cumin, the coriander, the
allspice, the oregano, the cinnamon, the cloves and the mace and cook the
mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the bay leaf, the water, the tomato
sauce, the vinegar, and the molasses and simmer the mixture, uncovered,
stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary to keep the beef
barely covered, for 2 hours, or until it is thickened but still soupy enough
to be ladled. Discard the bay leaf and season the chili with salt and apper.
Serve the chili as is or in the tradition Cincinnati 5-way: Ladle the chili
over the spaghetti and top it with the beans, the onion, the Cheddar, and the
oyster crackers. (Also over hot dogs.) Makes about 8 cups, serving 6.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Love it. Skyline is delicious.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I had this crap once when I was visiting some of the wife's family up in Ohio.  Taste like hamburger meat (not the proper Chili meat mind you) with ketchup and cheese. I think If I remember correctly there was also Spagetti with the bowl I tried to eat. They(the Ohioians) all raved about how skyline chili was the best.

Being a well rounded Redneck Texas boy, maybe  I am just set in my ways, but this SHIT is definitely NOT Chili in any way shape or form.

Leave the CHILI makin' to US TEXANS PLEASE!!!
We know how to get the proper grind on our ROADKILL and it ain't hamburger style!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Good stuff.  Might try throwing some cocoa powder in the next batch - unsweetened cocoa powder, NOT chocolate milk mix .  Sounds weird, but tastes good.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The chocolate actually deters the 'natural oils' from pooling on the top and blends it with the whole pot. I usually throw in a couple of squares of a Hershey's Special Dark.

I know the Texans take offense to the stuff being called chili, and with good reason, because it's nothing like true chili. It's some Greek stew concoction that got stamped with the chili moniker. I think a lot of people don't like it as a result of it being positioned as chili, and then when they eat it, they are looking for something other than what it is.

It is what it is.

I'm more partial to GoldStar. Skyline is more bland and runny. GoldStar is spicier and 'meatier'. 4-way with onion... 2 cheese coney's with onion and mustard. Got to have a little Frank's Red Hot on top to do it up...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a hater.  Nasty stuff in my book.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good stuff.  Might try throwing some cocoa powder in the next batch - unsweetened cocoa powder, NOT chocolate milk mix .  Sounds weird, but tastes good.
View Quote
I've seen cajuns do this, its not bad
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll send you some red chile from New Mexico, and a recipe on how to make it. It is simply ground up chile pods. No other spices. Meat(pork, beef, elk, etc.)chile, a dash of salt. No beans, no tomato sauce. Some people like a touch of garlic. That's it. Meat and chile, salt. Anything else is just..... flame hat on....
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

I'm a 100 percent coon-ass and I can honestly say I've never even heard of this Greek shit...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

I'm a 100 percent coon-ass and I can honestly say I've never even heard of this Greek shit...
View Quote

Tastes like Greek Mooo-Saka to me...and lite on the Mooo.  Eat this stuff and you start to dance and throw plates on the floor.  

You have been warned.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#11]
'Cincinnati-style' Chili...Another reason Ohio is a good place to be FROM...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds good, if ever given the chance I'll try it.  5-Way, please...but make it a 4 and hold the raw onions.  I like them cooked but not raw.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll send you some red chile from New Mexico, and a recipe on how to make it. It is simply ground up chile pods. No other spices. Meat(pork, beef, elk, etc.)chile, a dash of salt. No beans, no tomato sauce. Some people like a touch of garlic. That's it. Meat and chile, salt. Anything else is just..... flame hat on....
View Quote

Yeah, I miss NM chile.  Especially Horseman's Haven in Santa Fe [:P]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#14]
That stuff [b]ain't[/b] chili.

It's available online if you want to try it. You've been warned.

[url]http://www.skylinechili.com/order_online.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I love this stuff. I've been wanting to get some here ever since I moved to Florida. I've tried the homemade stuff and it isn't the same. I'll have to get some of the Gold Star mix packets next time I go home.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#16]
That doesn't sound like chili to me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#17]
There a local chain here in the DC area called Hard Times Cafe. They serve Cincy chili, as well as other varieties. I usually get a 50/50 mix of Cincy and Texas 5-way.

[url]http://www.hardtimes.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There a local chain here in the DC area called Hard Times Cafe. They serve Cincy chili, as well as other varieties. I usually get a 50/50 mix of Cincy and Texas 5-way.

[url]http://www.hardtimes.com/[/url]
View Quote

I go to the Hard Times in Herndon all the time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I think I might just go tonight!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Chili doesn't have beans in it. Not to mention that other shit. [puke]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree that it isn't TRUE CHILI, but it is actually pretty good stuff. The latest craze is to put a layer of cream cheese in the bottom of a cake pan with a layer of Cincy chili on top of it with shredded cheddar on the top. Bake and serve hot as chip dip.

Once you get past the part about it not really being chili and just go with the flow, it's actually pretty addictive. I think I shall seek some out today.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Love skyline.  And they are going to put one close to us now!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll eat it a couple of times a year.  It is not real chili and would never be a subsitute.

I like to use it as a different kind of spagetti sauce.  Again only about two times a year.  Any more would be too much.  For those who have never tried it you should check it out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That stuff [b]ain't[/b] chili.

It's available online if you want to try it. You've been warned.

[url]http://www.skylinechili.com/order_online.asp[/url]
View Quote

Don't worry about a warning...At those PRICES!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I've eaten this stuff before,  in Dayton.  No one ever mentioned it being chili,  I thought is was just some form of Spahgetti they had on the buffet. Tasted so sweet I thought it had sugar in it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm more partial to GoldStar. Skyline is more bland and runny. GoldStar is spicier and 'meatier'. 4-way with onion... 2 cheese coney's with onion and mustard. Got to have a little Frank's Red Hot on top to do it up...
View Quote

GoldStar is outstanding. Now if they would just get some franchises farther south than Lexington, KY.......and maybe we could get a few White Castle franchises too???
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#28]
And you guys rail on California... at least we don't confuse dog food for chili... let alone call that crap good chili.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Never had it.

Sounds kinda nasty.

Spaghetti??

Probably true that the "chili" description kills the deal.

Sounds more like some kinda potluck dish someone came up with.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Clifton Avenue Skyline at 0330 on a Friday night after a few pitchers of beer. A three- way with 2 cheese coneys and enough hot sauce to make you sweat.

I love Skyline!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Late night staple while in school there:

6 double dogs(vienna sausages)with chili and cheese at Skyline.

Only thing else open late was White Castle and a person can only handle so many tire patches.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#32]
For my friends in/from Texas who know how true this is.  They actually have a Chili Cook-off about the time the Rodeo comes to town.  It takes up a major portion of the parking lot at the Astrodome.  The notes are from an
inexperienced Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:  

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off.  The original person called in sick at the last moment and I
happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the Budweiser truck, when the call came in.  I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and,
besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, So I accepted".

Here are the scorecards from the event:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chili # 1 Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chili

Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato.  Amusing kick.

Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor.  Very mild

Judge # 3 -- (Frank) Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff?  You could remove dried paint from your driveway.  Took me two beers to put the flames out.  I hope that's the worst one.  These Texans are crazy.

Chili # 2 Arthur's Afterburner Chili

Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children.  I'm not sure what I'm
supposed to taste besides pain.  I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver.  They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chili # 3 Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili

Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili.  Great kick.  Needs more beans.

Judge # 2 -- A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.

Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA.  I've located a uranium spill.  My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano.  Everyone knows the routine by now.  Get me more beer before I ignite.  Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my
backbone is in the front part of my chest.  I'm getting shit-faced from all of the beer.

Chili # 4 Bubba's Black Magic

Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans.  Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.

Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it.  Is it possible to burn out tastebuds?  Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills.  That 300-lb. bitch is starting to
look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating!  Is chili an aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Linda's Legal Lip Remover

Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili.  Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick.  Very impressive.

Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato.  Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes.  I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics.  The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili
had given me brain damage.  Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher.  I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.

Chili # 6 Vera's Very Vegetarian Variety

Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili.  Good balance of spices and peppers.

Judge # 2 -- The best yet.  Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.

Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames.  I shit myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair.  No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that
slut Sally.  She must be kinkier than I thought.  Can't feel my lips anymore.  I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone.

Chili # 7 Susan's Screaming Sensation Chili

Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment.  I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3.  He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.

Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing.  I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water.  My shirt is covered with chili which
slid unnoticed out of my mouth.  My pants are full of lava like shit to match my shirt.  At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me.  I've decided to stop breathing, its too painful.  Screw it, I'm not getting any oxygen anyway.  If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

Chili # 8 Tommy's Toe-Nail Curling Chili

Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili.  Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balance chili.  Neither mild nor hot.  Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself.  Not sure if he's
going to make it.  Poor dude, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili. [flame]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

GoldStar is outstanding. Now if they would just get some franchises farther south than Lexington, KY.......and maybe we could get a few White Castle franchises too???
View Quote

They sell BOTH of these in the frozen section at the grocery store now. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top