Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 12:54:16 PM EDT
Looking to put a Detroit locker in this thing, by application 3 different suppliers are telling me it's got an 11.5 inch American Axle in it and a locker isn't available and want to sell me a Yukon locker for 3 times the money. I bought this truck new and it's the original axle in it and it's got a standard run of the mill 10.5" corporate 14 bolt.  Checked against vin code and GM parts guys agree with me and shrug it off and say it happens.. WTF?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If you've looked at the axle ID tag and you know what is under it, don't mess with the "Can I have your make and model, please?" folks.
If that were the case, I'd have never found a Detroit for the 9" I put under my S10. They'd just look at me, slowly convulse and then have a brief nose bleed.

Do you need help verifying what you have, or are you certain?
If you're certain, call and mention the axle and ignore the vehicle. A decent 4x4 shop or accessories provider will be like a duck on water with this more so than the alternative anyway.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
look in the glove box.

do you have the G88 G80 option?

edit....

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I found a comparison on pirate 4x4 and it confirms I have the 10.5 inch there is also a comment about production date around the change over to the new style axles and I guess this is somewhat common. Parts inbound from national gear.

Edit for typo
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:35:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
look in the glove box.

do you have the G88 G80 option?

edit....

No, open carrier. This  is a plow truck and the Detroit is the cheapest and most reliable option. No need for anything more fancy and junkyard cost on a used g80 is about $150 over the Detroit.

ETF more early am fat fingering
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top