Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 3:33:48 PM EDT
The summer of 2003 I bought a used 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4 Ltr. with about 60,000 miles on it. Ran great for over a year, then last year my clutch slave cylinder went out. No problem, took it to AAMCO had the clutch replaced and the slave cylinder. Drove the truck for about 3 months and the new slave went bad too. Took the truck back to AAMCO and had the slave replaced under warranty. Drove for about a month and now this slave is leaking! Supposedly the latest slave cylinder installed is made by Luk and I hear they made good tranny parts. The next slave being installed (tomorrow) was ordered direct from the local Ford dealer, hopefully this one will hold out.

Is this a common problem with Rangers? Is the shop not doing the proper maintenance? Or could I just have a run of bad luck with the replacement slave cylinders and hopefully the OEM Ford slave will be of better quality?

HELP!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
1. crappy aftermarket/rebuild junk
2. contaminated fluid. have it flushed well, may be particles scoring walls in the fluid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response, I hope it was just crappy rebuilds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I find the use of the word "slave" offensive........
Can you actually believe there are idiots who think this way?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I find the use of the word "slave" offensive........

Can you actually believe there are idiots who think this way?

Yep........when I called my boss to tell him I'd be late for work because I needed to drop off my truck, he asked me why. When I told him the problem (slave cylinder) he told me I needed to find a PC alternative name for the part.

He was just jerkin' my chain though!

Anyone else with experience in Ford Ranger "Slave" cylinders?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#5]
About two years ago we had three new slaves go bad on a Ranger 4.0L, 4x4. Three in a row.
As soon as we pushed  on the pedal they all started leaking immediately.
Usually when a slave goes bad due to a defect it happens as soon as you get ready to bleed the slave and start pumping the clutch pedal. Yours seem to go a little further so you may have an underlying problem.

It's probably just bad parts though, we don't use off brand parts in our shop and almost never have a comeback because of premature part failures. If everything else is in spec, have your fluid flushed and if the flywheel was turned it may be out of spec(too thin).
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:56:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I have seen aftermarket slave cylinders go bad when using a "power bleeder" aswell
Good luck
BIG
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:10:27 AM EDT
[#7]
i am a trans mechanic....

done hundreds of ford slaves....

use the factory part, luk is a good brand, but i am less than umpressed with the slaves they sell
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds more like a "crappy aftermerket part" problem than an "01 Ford Ranger" problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. I dropped off the truck this morning and told them in addition to a new slave I would also like the master cylinder replaced. It's the only component in the sys that has not been replaced and I don't trust it. It squeeks when I press down on the clutch, sounds like plastic grinding together. It dosent leak, but I thought what the hell might as well replace it too and have a WHOLE system to start fresh with.

AAMCO called about a 1/2 hour before I was supposed to pick it up and said the master kit delivered from the dealer was missing the rod so they will have to send one out tommorow. I'll keep ya informed!

Thanks alot guys!

Quib
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top