Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/24/2015 5:28:04 PM EDT
my FIL tried it when I started dating my wife, didnt work out considering I immediately offered to buy the ammo and go shooting with him.

So a question for ARF: have you had that "I'll be cleaning my guns"/ "these are my guns" father to boyfriend moment? And in today's climate would you do it to your daughters boyfriend? Or have you done it to the prospective boyfriend

For me, having them out and in hand is a no no. To easy to get charged in the wrong situation. If I have a daughter, I'll be tempted to have one in a holster and openly carried when the boy arrives, but my hands will go nowhere near it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't show some random scumbag your weapons.  Might be looking at a burglary in the near future.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It's dumb as fuck and makes a person look weak and fearful themselves, not intimidating.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, this is stupid. I used to cringe whenever I heard one of my friends say anything like that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't show some random scumbag your weapons.  Might be looking at a burglary in the near future.
View Quote

FPNI

Showing a kid your weapons screams, "I'm insecure!"

don't do it...

My cousin has a daughter that could pose on the cover of any magazine she wanted to. When she started dating, he'd just quietly tell the boys when she was out of the room, "You make her cry, I'll make YOU cry, are we clear?"

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I won't need a gun. My daughter is 8, so this is coming up quick.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
It's cliche and was always lame.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Had crossed my mind. Like I said, ide be tempted, but I prefer no one knows unless it's needed in any situation.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
As my dad always said/says

Don't let people know you have guns/where/how you keep them because they could come try to steal them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
its pretty stupid
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

its pretty stupid
View Quote
I tend to agree

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I was always more intimidated by the super quiet dads who acted like they didn't give a fuck I was there. The look they gave me when we shook hands was enough.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Pathetic, don't do shit like that.  It's trailer park and asking for a theft.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd rather say let's go fishing offshore, just me and you ok?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#14]
very tacky
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was always more intimidated by the super quiet dads who acted like they didn't give a fuck I was there. The look they gave me when we shook hands was enough.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The first one that showed up saw me mounting an optic on an AR. Word spread quickly in this rural area. Then the suitor found out she had her own AR and well she's been treated as a porcelain doll since by all subsequent suitors.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#17]
If I went to some chick's house to pick her up for a date and her father tried that on me, I'd probably cancel the date and talk guns with him that evening instead.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#18]
That's dumb.

The only time I was ever terrified was when some old Nosferatu looking mofo (think Mike/Jonathan Banks from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul) waited until his daughter left the room, looked me in the eye, shook my hand with a grip that could shatter a diamond, and told me "take good care of her." Then he sat his ass down and went back to watching TV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Current GFs dad tried to intimidate me with talk of his shotgun (first time I met him was at a restaurant. ) GF chimed in with "Oh yeah, well you should see HIS guns,I really like shooting the AR15 and 7mm the most!"

That ended the convo for awhile. I get along great with the guy now, he knows I'll always protect and take care of his daughter, and I know he just wants the best for her.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Just say:

"Remember whatever you do to her I'm going to do to you. I used to be a Sailor, and you're kinda cute"

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I've seen it fail with even a teenage girl/statuatory rape scenario.

Grab the family jewels, squeeze hard, twist, give him the time necessary to remove daughter's number from his device, release.

"See, that wasn't so bad, now was it?"

He'll associate that sense of extreme pain to his scrot, and find another girl to focus on.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Just met my girlfriends daughter's dad. No word about guns despite the polite atmosphere.  He knows and I knows we're both cops but he's retired from the City of Pittsburgh atmosphere of the 70s. Don't want to piss him off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#23]
My then wife had already told her parents all about me by the time I met them so they knew I would laugh at that scheme.  My FIL showed me his guns after a couple of visits to share them with me and we shot in the back yard.  He asked me to fix one for him, and I did.  No games.  Good, honest man who looked at me as a person, not an enemy he needed to intimidate and I appreciated that.  

My daughter will tell perspective boyfriends that I am a hardcore badass before they meet me.  It means more coming from her than from me.    If I raise her right, I will have no reason to not trust my daughter's judgment.  No reason for me to be a jackass to a guy she likes unless she brings some douche home someday.  

We've all been in that spot as a boyfriend.  Meet the parents and try to not act like a jackass so you can maybe grab a boob later on.    It's the way the world works.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I thinks that's pretty childish....

If you need to scare the guy away with your guns, he shouldn't be hanging out with your daughter.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#25]
People still think this "works"?

The real world answer?
-If "daddy's little princess" is a whore, posturing is going to do "daddy" nothing. Well, they might snicker about the "posturing game" when they are leaving knowing they are just as free to do as they want.
-She dates turds? "Mommy and Daddy" has already failed and these "games" are a sad reflection of that.
-Girls with parents like that are the biggest whores.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a show of weakness.

I had no respect for the guy that tried that on me.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I had that happen when I was in college. I offered to show him the proper way to clean it instead of acting like a fool and he was not amused. I boned his daughter in the drive later that night.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#28]
MYOB and OpSec
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Rather in its him down to the jiujitsu academy for a pre date intro lesson.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
That.

The gun thing is stupid.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#31]
The cleaning guns in front of boyfriend is stupid.  What's the dad gonna do?  Commit murder if his daughter isn't treated just right?  

I think the scariest version was my former boss at the funeral home.  His daughter brought some guy home and my boss had a nice, firm chat with him about what his expectations were.  Boss ended the conversation with a handshake and a, "don't forget what I do for a living."  Creeps me out every time I think about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the whole 9 yards while meeting this girl's dad once. WASR 10 on the kitchen table, the "Bring her home early" speech, and then the "Anything you do to her, I'll do to you" threat.

I'm standing in his kitchen and I say "It's 8:30am in the morning.  We're just going to IHOP and catching a 10am Saturday matinee!"..."You serious about that last part? I wouldn't mind you taking me out for breakfast;  next Saturday good?"
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Ex's dad did that shit.

I was like "Nice Mossberg 500." (I lied though, I'm an 870 guy)
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
its pretty stupid
View Quote

Edit: the more you try to intimidate me, the more freaky shit I did. I'd rather tell my daughter to "don't do anything stupid." But let's get real, kids are all stupid at times.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I always told  them that my german shepherd always goes on dates with her and never, never leaves her side. And that he is very jealous.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#36]
If you live in a trailer park and want your daughter to do anal on the first date, go for it. Because that's what's going to happen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#37]
had it done to me back then
spend the night cleaning and fixing them....  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's a show of weakness.

I had no respect for the guy that tried that on me.

View Quote

Pretty much this.

The fathers who took time to get to know me and learn that I enjoy firearms and hunting...I quit dating their daughters long ago but managed to make a few lifelong shooting buddies. Too bad that some of them have since passed away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Tacky?  Maybe, but effective in the right situation.  My oldest daughter dislikes it, but three of her boyfriends have self-selected to become ex-boyfriends after talking with me.  I was especially happy to see that one vocally challenged lad was more afraid of my guns than he was attracted to my daughter.  The little bastard would come by the house at all hours of the night and serenade my daughter from the yard.  World's worst voice (think coyote kill mixed with a Boston accent).  After several weeks of this, I invited him inside to see my gun collection.  He decided there was no future in the midnight serenades.  

Like an earlier poster mentioned, the "let me show you my guns" technique doesn't work with young men who like guns.  I tried this on my oldest's latest boyfriend.  When he found out that I have guns and liked hunting, he pulled out his smart phone to show me the pictures of the deer he shot last fall.  Now he wants to talk to me every time he comes to the house...I'm going to have to find another scare tactic.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#40]
The gun thing is pretty silly.  I have a daughter on the way and I cannot see myself doing that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I bet a wakizashi would have a greater effect.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Had one wave at me with his ax while he was splitting wood when I dropped his daughter off.
He turned about to be a really decent guy and did it more as a joke since I happened to pull up as he was already in the process of using it.

I am sure I will mess with my children's dates when the time comes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#43]
the first time i met my ex's parents i had my knives on me cause i had just come back from a hunt camp work day, the first time i went to her house i was shown the gun cabinet during the tour of the house she gave me, the first time i went hunting with her father i impressed him with my knowledge and ability so he never had to threaten me or anything like that, i knew my place and we respected each other for that

her brother who is professional football player tried to intimidate me a little until he heard that i had taken her shooting and she started to drop the rifles she shot and he slowly backed down
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
very tacky
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Absolutely! Any excuse to embarrass her.
I would do camo and hockey mask and swinging a machete if I had the time!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The gun thing is pretty silly.  I have a daughter on the way and I cannot see myself doing that.
View Quote

You might change your mind once you see the lying little lust monkeys vying for her attention.  While you can hope that she makes the right decisions about who she spends her time with, sometimes Dad has to help move things along in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#47]

I went to a girls home one time to pick her up for a date. She was taking her time and I was talking to her father. Nice chat, this and that, nothing intimidating. He excused himself and on the coffee table I saw he had left a 30/06 round with my name written on it in marker. Made me think. I only dated her a few times, not because of her father, we just didn't work.

That 06 round did make me wonder though.

I now have young tin daughters approaching dating age. They are strong willed, know how to shoot, and how to defend themselves. They also know that if something happens I will back them. I trust my daughters, I just don't necessarily trust guys like me when I was that age.
I don't think I'll have to show guns, just a good firm handshake and a look into their eyes.  

Maybe I'll park the backhoe with a few bags of quicklime in the driveway...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Fail, no option for "done to me, was stupid won't do to others"

The time it happened to me, I was taking my then GF to the shooting range for a date (high school age, 1990's) and when I showed up to pick her up from her house her dad showed me his "knife" collection. His collection consisted of a bunch of movie prop repros that were not even likely capable of real use. I responded with: "Hey that's nice <sarcasm>...I happen to be a collector too, and in fact I have part of my collection with me. I was going to take your daughter to the shooting range. Wanna see my guns?" He turned remarkably pale and didn't pursue that line of reasoning any further, toldus to have a good time and went back to his TV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#49]
My HS sweetheart introduced me to her dad while he was in the garage working on his car, a beautiful 3rd Gen Bandit Edition Trans Am.  He was leaning over the open hood and asked me to hand him a spark plug socket.  I could see he would also need an extension so I grabbed one along with a ratchet and the socket from his toolbox.  He smiled in approval and we were good.  

A few months later I asked him if I could take his daughter to prom in his car.  He said "You can take my daughter, but you're not touching my car".  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#50]
1.) my college roomate's now father in law did this when they first met.

2.) family friend told me he did this to his step daughter's dates.

Both guys are insecure, loud mouthed, over compensating douches.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top