Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/20/2011 7:42:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2011 3:50:37 PM EST by Spartanatheart]
A film entitled "machine gun preacher" with Gerard Butler & nobody knows about it?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1586752/
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:52:48 PM EST
First I heard about it.

Looks interesting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:53:00 PM EST
Looks like they did a lot of the filming in Detroit, with only key scenes filmed in South Africa. Probably saved a lot of money filming most of it there, after all Detroit does look like the war torn Sudan.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:57:07 PM EST
I think it looks pretty damn good and the story behind it is pretty awe-inspiring as well, even though most of Arf hates Africa.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:00:35 PM EST
They had Gerald Butler on the Opie & Anthony XM/Sirius radio show last week. Supposedly it's based on a true story. Sounded pretty cool either way.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:01:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By TNA1:
They had Gerald Butler on the Opie & Anthony XM/Sirius radio show last week. Supposedly it's based on a true story. Sounded pretty cool either way.

aye, it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Childers
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:19:24 PM EST
It's been posted here before, but they used an equally obscure title, which means it's very difficult to find.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:31:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By Spartanatheart:
A film entitled "machine gun preacher" with Gerard Butler & nobody knows about it?

Filmed here partially in Michigan. Taxpayers here would reimburse sixty something pecent of production costs. I guess that has come to a screeching halt.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:41:17 PM EST
Reminds me of Idiocracy. No trailer, no publicity, no advance reviews, minimal screenings, and it wasn't a bad movie. But they did everything they could to not bring a movie they spent money to be made to the attention of the public. So you have to wonder what was it about the movie that the studios thought it wasn't worth promoting, and you have to conclude it's the central premise of the movie. What else could it be?
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:05:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By tyman:
I think it looks pretty damn good and the story behind it is pretty awe-inspiring as well, even though most of Arf hates Africa.

It not that we hate Africa, it's that we just don't give a fuck anymore.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:07:15 PM EST
Hadn't heard of it until you posted it OP. Watched the trailer, showed the wife and we're going to see it at a theater...rare event. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:19:26 AM EST
Btt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:27:53 PM EST
Less than a week to go.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:30:15 PM EST
Gerard Butler has been threatened by islamists for starring in the movie. Seriously.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:48:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By chupacabras:
Gerard Butler has been threatened by islamists for starring in the movie. Seriously.

As if I didn't need another reason to go see this.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:55:00 PM EST
And out of curiosity, would an American get into legal trouble here for fighting in another country's war?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:56:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By raven:
Reminds me of Idiocracy. No trailer, no publicity, no advance reviews, minimal screenings, and it wasn't a bad movie. But they did everything they could to not bring a movie they spent money to be made to the attention of the public. So you have to wonder what was it about the movie that the studios thought it wasn't worth promoting, and you have to conclude it's the central premise of the movie. What else could it be?

Because it shows God & Christianity in a good light?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:11:16 PM EST
And out of curiosity, would an American get into legal trouble here for fighting in another country's war?

I saw/heard of some UCLA grad student or somesuch taking a trip to Libya to hang out with the rebels and fight some. No idea what the outcome is/was though

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:29:40 PM EST
Never heard of it.

Sounds interdasting interesting.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:33:19 PM EST

Idiocracy made fun of the everyday person.....they didn't want people getting pissed off at how stupid they are and not watch the movie.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:36:30 PM EST

Idiocracy made fun of the everyday person.....they didn't want people getting pissed off at how stupid they are and not watch the movie.

And also ripped new assholes in some retail/corporate interests to boot.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:37:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By lostnswv:

I never did, despite all the libtard crap about it in the 80's...

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:39:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By WhirlyGirl45:

I never did, despite all the libtard crap about it in the 80's...

Still don't care. Although I did vacation in South Africa and it was nice.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:43:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2011 4:51:07 PM EST by SmithinitUp]
Looks to be pretty good. I think Gerard Butler is a pretty good actor, so I'll probably check it out.

ETA: Is it gonna be released nationwide? And if so, does anyone know when? My Google-fu is weak tonite.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:52:12 PM EST

Movie looks good..... Fuck Africa
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:06:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2011 5:07:58 PM EST by 2IDdoc]
Even Christian websites are starting to out this guy as a fraud and harmful to kids. Take the story with a grain of salt. Here is a link that documents the complaints against him.
Guy info

I'm a Christian and was interested in this story. After some research I am very doubtful that this guy is who he claims to be. My belief doesn't come easily.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:16:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By 2IDdoc:
Even Christian websites are starting to out this guy as a fraud and harmful to kids. Take the story with a grain of salt. Here is a link that documents the complaints against him.
Guy info

I'm a Christian and was interested in this story. After some research I am very doubtful that this guy is who he claims to be. My belief doesn't come easily.

From the link you posted, a lot of it sounds like he's being slandered by a guy he fired for embezzelment. Hardly a reliable witness.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:20:09 PM EST
First time hearing about it which is pretty much every movie Gerard Butler has done, his movies seem to fly under the radar to me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:22:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By JeffTheOtherDude:
First time hearing about it which is pretty much every movie Gerard Butler has done, his movies seem to fly under the radar to me.

That's too bad....he's a very underrated actor.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:24:19 PM EST

It not that we hate Africa, it's that we just don't give a fuck anymore think Africans should fix their own problems, rather than rely on perpetual "foreign aid".

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:28:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By 2IDdoc:
Guy info

From the link you posted, a lot of it sounds like he's being slandered by a guy he fired for embezzelment. Hardly a reliable witness.

I don't claim to know the truth of the matter. I do know a whole lot of people that do the kind of things that he did that go unsung. If he is who he says he is, great! There is evidence however that he may not be who he claims to be. There is nothing wrong with pointing out these views. Take it how you like.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:36:33 PM EST

We don't hate Africa, we hate Africans.

But seriously, we hate how many African countries are run (into the ground) by their leaders.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:38:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By C-4:

We don't hate Africa, we hate Africans.

But seriously, we hate how many African countries including ours are run (into the ground) by their leaders.
Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:46:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2011 5:49:22 PM EST by InfiniteGrim]
The actual Machine Gun Preacher was on WMMR anyone around Philly knows what that is, and if its anything like the guys real life story it should be good movie.

From the interview the main character Sam Childers was a criminal, but turned good. Apparently know he lives in PA and owns a bunch of toys we could appreciate.. So for all we know he's a member on here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:49:30 PM EST
Sounds good to me.

Dont go to the movie theater though so it will be while before I see it
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:54:53 PM EST
It will suck. You'll see.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:05:12 PM EST
I'd like to watch it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:12:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By InfiniteGrim:
The actual Machine Gun Preacher was on WMMR anyone around Philly knows what that is, and if its anything like the guys real life story it should be good movie.

From the interview the main character Sam Childers was a criminal, but turned good. Apparently know he lives in PA and owns a bunch of toys we could appreciate.. So for all we know he's a member on here.

If you guys want to listen HERE is the podcast with the Sam Childers "Machine Gun Preacher" Interview. You have to skip through some stuff. These guys are interesting to listen to.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:15:41 PM EST
Looks interesting, I'll check this one out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:42:52 PM EST

That pretty much sums it up for me underrated but good actor, hes not promoted as good as he should. Its like he did 300, a few chick flicks then fell off the map because of the lack of studio promotion. Its a real shame.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 10:27:48 PM EST

That pretty much sums it up for me underrated but good actor, hes not promoted as good as he should. Its like he did 300, a few chick flicks then fell off the map because of the lack of studio promotion. Its a real shame.

werd
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:14:47 PM EST
Any reviews folks?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:12:48 PM EST
Any reviews folks?

so far from IMDB:

Ratings: 5.5/10 from 535 users Metascore: 43/100

rottentomatoes:

22% splat

Average Rating: 4.9/10
Reviews Counted: 63