Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:00:51 PM EDT
So, I'm watching "The Shining" and I know the exterior hotel shots were the Timberline Lodge in Oregon, but it doesn't look like the interior shots were of the hotel. Were the interior shots a set in a studio or did they find another hotel to do the interior scenes within?

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:13:13 PM EDT
From Wikipedia: "In 1975, Kubrick directed Barry Lyndon, a highly visual period film about an Irish man who attempts to make his way into the English aristocracy. Despite its technical achievement, the film was not a box office success in the United States and was derided by critics for being too long and too slow. Kubrick, disappointed with Barry Lyndon's lack of success, realized he needed to make a film that would be commercially viable as well as artistically fulfilling.
The Shining was shot on soundstages at EMI Elstree Studios in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, Britain. The set for the Overlook Hotel was then the largest ever built, including a full re-creation of the exterior of the hotel. A few exterior shots by a second-unit crew were done at Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood in Oregon. These shots are notable because of the absence of the hedge maze, a nonexistent feature at the actual hotel. Some of the interiors are based on those of the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite National Park."
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:17:27 PM EDT
Google Rob Agar and collative learning. He has a multipart analysis of Kubick's movies, including The Shining, and it's amazing. The hotel set was built to be impossible to be real. Deliberately.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:18:03 PM EDT
^^^ Yup. Short answer: No. The interior shots were all done on a sound stage.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:18:22 PM EDT
I was told a long time ago those shots were filmed at the Stanly Hotel in Estes Park Colorado
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:20:39 PM EDT
IMBD:

Filming locations for
The Shining (1980) More at IMDbPro »
Colorado, USA

Elstree Studios, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, England, UK

Glacier National Park, Montana, USA

Going-to-the-Sun Road, Glacier National Park, Montana, USA
(opening scenes: aerial shots)

Saint Mary Lake, Glacier National Park, Montana, USA
(opening scenes: aerial shots)

Timberline Lodge, Mount Hood, Oregon, USA
(Overlook Hotel exterior)

Yosemite National Park, California, USA
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:43:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By roadbum:
I was told a long time ago those shots were filmed at the Stanly Hotel in Estes Park Colorado

Not true. Stephen King was inspired to write The Shining after staying at the Stanley Hotel, and the 1990's mini-series was filmed there, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:53:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:

Not true. Stephen King was inspired to write The Shining after staying at the Stanley Hotel, and the 1990's mini-series was filmed there, IIRC.

We just did a ghost tour at the Stanley. They said King was unhappy with the other version so he did the mini-series. We tried to watch but it seemed to suck. At least the few minutes it kept me awake.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:00:35 PM EDT
I always enjoy finding behind the scenes footage from that movie.

The elevator scene looked like a real bitch to clean up afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:05:32 PM EDT
The mini-series tries really hard, but it's hampered by crappy CGI, commercial breaks, and slow pacing. It does follow the book more closely, many of the iconic movie moments are Kubrick's ideas and not King's. I do like the fact that in the mini-series Jack is sympathetic as a character. In the movie, he's just Jack Nicholson doing a Jack Nicholson impression.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:15:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:40:34 PM EDT

The Stanley is my local hangout bar. Classy place that doesnt mind some decidedly unclassy patrons.

spf
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:45:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:

Ah. Growing up my dad and I would vacation alot in Estes Park and he always told me the movie was shot there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:03:49 PM EDT
Any fan of this movie should watch the film Room 237. Lots of good analysis and speculation in it.
Top Top