Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2011 6:19:16 PM EDT
Can someone just give me a quick over view about lost? The are all dead to begin with? whats the whole alternate time line of the lives of the people when 815 didnt crash?
read the wiki overview buy it sucked...

ETA: Ok finished the series. Everything makes sense now, I actually liked the ending
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
In the final season, the main storyline follows the survivors, reunited in the present day. Following the demise of Jacob, the island's protector, the survivors are up against the Man in Black, known previously as the Smoke Monster. A "flash-sideways" narrative also follows the lives of the main characters in a setting where Oceanic 815 never crashed. In the final episodes, a flashback to the distant past shows the origins of the island's power and of the conflict between Jacob and the Man in Black, who are revealed to be twin brothers. One survivor becomes the successor to Jacob as caretaker of the island, and kills the Man in Black in a final showdown, with the island at stake. A small handful of survivors escape on the Ajira plane. It is implied that a few survivors return home later, and others live happily on the island. The series finale reveals that the flash-sideways timeline was actually a form of limbo, where all the survivors were reunited after having died because their time on the island had been the most important part of their existence.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

Jack Shephard (Matthew Fox), Kate Austen (Evangeline Lilly) and Hugo "Hurley" Reyes (Jorge Garcia) head to the heart of the island, while James "Sawyer" Ford (Josh Holloway) goes after Desmond Hume (Henry Ian Cusick), who was thrown into a well. Arriving there, Sawyer is confronted by Ben Linus (Michael Emerson) and the Man in Black (Terry O'Quinn), who reveals his plan to destroy the island. Sawyer then steals Ben's rifle and reunites with Jack's group. Jack then tells Sawyer that he plans to confront the Man in Black. At the same time, Desmond, having been rescued by Rose Henderson (L. Scott Caldwell) and Bernard Nadler (Sam Anderson), is confronted by the Man in Black. The Man in Black threatens to kill Rose and Bernard if Desmond does not come with him, and Desmond agrees to go with him, provided he leaves the couple unharmed. Meanwhile, Miles Straume (Ken Leung) finds a no longer ageless Richard Alpert (Nestor Carbonell) in the jungle, and they set out by boat to destroy the Ajira plane which would allow the Man in Black to escape. Along the way, they rescue Frank Lapidus (Jeff Fahey), who had survived the destruction of the submarine, and they decide to leave the island by using the plane.

On the way to the heart of the island, Jack's group encounters the Man in Black's group. Jack tells the Man in Black that he is going to kill him, and together with Desmond, they travel to the heart of the island. Jack believes that Desmond can kill the Man in Black because he thinks Jacob brought him back not as bait but as a weapon. Desmond tells Jack that destroying the island and killing the Man in Black do not matter because he is going down to the heart of the island and leaving for another place. Jack and the Man in Black lower Desmond down to the heart of the island and he reaches a chamber, leading to a glowing pool with an elongated stone at its center. Immune to the pool's electromagnetic energy, Desmond manages to remove the giant stone stopper in the center of the pool. However, the light goes out and the pool dries up, setting about the destruction of the island which the Man in Black predicted. A result of Desmond's act is an unforeseen side-effect of making the Man in Black mortal again. During a prolonged fight, the Man in Black stabs Jack in the same spot where his appendix was taken out and almost kills him when Kate shoots the Man in Black in the back, allowing Jack to kick him off the cliff to his death. The island continues to crumble and Jack knows he has to put the light back on at the source. He tells Kate to get Claire Littleton (Emilie De Ravin) on the plane and leave the island in case he fails. The two profess their love for each other and Kate leaves with Sawyer while Hurley and Ben follow Jack back to the pool.

Kate and Sawyer travel to Hydra Island via Desmond's boat Elizabeth, to the site of the Ajira Airlines plane where Lapidus, Richard and Miles have been quickly trying to make it air-worthy. Kate convinces Claire she can help her raise Aaron and they head for the plane. After Kate, Sawyer and Claire board the plane, Lapidus successfully gets it off the island. Jack leads Hurley and Ben back to the heart of the island, where Jack convinces an emotional Hurley to take over as the protector of the island, stating Hurley was always meant to be the leader. Hurley and Ben lower Jack to the dry pool where he rescues a barely conscious Desmond. Jack manages to restore the light by replacing the stone plug, and is enveloped in the light that surrounds him. Hurley, in his role as the new protector of the island, doesn't know what to do. Ben tells him he should help Desmond get home and suggests there may be a better way of protecting the island than how Jacob did since people are unable to leave. Hurley asks him for help, and Ben is honored. Jack reawakens outside by a river and walks toward the spot in the bamboo forest where he first awakened on the island, following the crash of Oceanic 815. After Jack collapses to the ground, Vincent the dog approaches him and lies next to him. Jack gazes happily at the sky while watching the Ajira plane fly overhead away from the island. Jack slowly closes his eyes as he dies, reversely mimicking the opening sequence of the series pilot, which begins with a close-up view of Jack's eyes opening as he becomes conscious while lying on the ground.
[edit] Flash-sideways

In the alternate timeline, Desmond gathers many of the islanders at the benefit concert of Daniel Widmore (Jeremy Davies) and DriveShaft. One by one, each protagonist begins to recognize one another based upon close contact with a person or object that was important to them throughout their time on the island. Eventually, most of them remember their past lives and are drawn to the church that was to be the site of Jack's father's funeral. John Locke (Terry O'Quinn) regains the use of his legs after being successfully operated on by Jack. He then meets Ben outside the church where Locke forgives him for murdering him. Ben then meets Hurley, who says everyone is inside, motioning him to join them, but Ben elects to stay outside. As Hurley heads back inside, he says to Ben that he was a "real good number two...", to which Ben replies back that Hurley was a "great number one", referencing the time they spent on the island after Jack's death. Kate arrives with Jack and instructs him to enter through the back of the church, where he comes upon his father's coffin. The coffin acts as the catalyst for Jack's memories after he resisted believing his flashbacks triggered by earlier contacts with Locke and Kate. Jack opens the coffin lid and discovers the coffin to be empty. Christian Shephard (John Terry) then appears behind him. Jack slowly comes to realize that he is dead as well (cf. afterlife). After an emotional embrace, Christian reassures him that the events leading up to now actually happened and the time he spent with the people on the island was "the most important period" of his life. He explains to Jack that time has no meaning in this place and that they "made" the place to "find each other", independent of the time at which they died, so they could "move on" together. Jack and Christian go out into the church to meet the others. Everyone is able to see, recognize, and remember everyone else and their lives together. After an emotional reunion, Christian opens the front doors, revealing another bright light that slowly envelops everyone inside the church.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple awnser, only in the final season, in the altrante reality were they all dead. It's explained by jacks dad at the end.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
so the island is super natural.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
i really liked Lost, but the final episode left me somewhat confused. i mean, i pretty much understand the fact that there were two timelines, but i don't know, i guess i needed one more episode to break it down barney style for my simple little mind.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i really liked Lost, but the final episode left me somewhat confused. i mean, i pretty much understand the fact that there were two timelines, but i don't know, i guess i needed one more episode to break it down barney style for my simple little mind.

im on season 6 episode 14 and im still confused on whats going on.

the island life is "real life" right?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The island is real.  Everything that happens there is real.  The island is not really explained.  It's just the island, a place that has its own rules.

The LA events in the final season are not "real", just a staging area in the afterlife for people to realize what is important to them before they move on.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
island was real, they died at some point and met up once the last members died
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]
from what i understood the few people that got away in the plane at the end are the only ones that survived.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The writers realized that they had to give some sort of "resolution" but had concocted too many half-finished plotlines over the years for any sort of a coherent ending, so they gave up and said it was basically all a dream/afterlife/limbo etc.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Kate makes my pants tight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh oh, Chango!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The writers realized that they had to give some sort of "resolution" but had concocted too many half-finished plotlines over the years for any sort of a coherent ending, so they gave up and said it was basically all a dream/afterlife/limbo etc.

This.

I have this shirt to prove it too. what a shame....

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#13]
It was hilariously obvious the entire time that they were just making shit up as they went along, so the ending wasn't really all that surprising.

I think the writers were trolling.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I just watched the last episode tonight. I was thinking about posting here to get cliff's notes on WTF happened.

Now I have to wonder if I'm dead and you guys are moving on with me......
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I have this shirt to prove it too. what a shame....

http://d1np3q5ggw0og6.cloudfront.net/system/cache/700x700/uploaded_files/0051/0170/Watched_Lost_Shirt-fp-7d47bed0a94eebfc3fd319134df3790a.jpg

hey where can i get that shirt. i loved the first 3 seasons. the last 3 and the ending killed me. used to be my favorite show. obvious screen name is obvious.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

so they died in the plane crash?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is completely wrong.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to tell him he's wrong but offer no contradicting proof.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they died in the plane crash?

NO!!!!!!!!!  Stop listening to these people.

The last season started the "Flash-sideways".  Those flash-sideways were actually "afterlife", it was a place they made for themselves to wait for each other before they moved on to heaven.  The reason why they wanted to wait for each other is because the most important time in their lives was when they were on the island together.  Everything except for the flash-sideways was real.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to tell him he's wrong but offer no contradicting proof.

Sorry, I wanted to get the BS flag out there as quick as possible.   BTW< YOUR post up top actually proved him wrong, so why are you giving me shit?

BTW, there is a LOT of info out there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Purgatory. Done.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Purgatory. Done.

Completely and utter bullshit.

Christian Shepard explained EXACTLY what it was in the last episode.

Christian reassures him that the events leading up to now actually happened and the time he spent with the people on the island was "the most important period" of his life. He explains to Jack that time has no meaning in this place and that they "made" the place to "find each other", independent of the time at which they died, so they could "move on" together.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last season started the "Flash-sideways".  Those flash-sideways were actually "afterlife", it was a place they made for themselves to wait for each other before they moved on to heaven.  The reason why they wanted to wait for each other is because the most important time in their lives was when they were on the island together.  Everything except for the flash-sideways was real.

This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can someone just give me a quick over view about lost? The are all dead to begin with? whats the whole alternate time line of the lives of the people when 815 didnt crash?

They basically just made a bunch of crap up by season 6 and then wasted time they could use to get a good ending.  The ending made little sense and in some areas conflicts with things wefound out earlier in the series.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh I'll explain it to you:  the producers never thought the show would get so big when they started, and as the show got more popular, they started just pulling shit out of their asses, making it bigger and wilder with no clue where they where going with all of this - they were just as lost as everyone else -and figuring they would just let the story work itself out in the end.  They were bluffing the whole fucking time.  

And in the end they ran out of time and ideas on how to make any of it actually make any sense, because shit stinks like shit no matter how much cologne you dab on it, and their house of cards all came crumbling down around them and everyone realized what lying pieces of shit these guys were, and how they had been fucking their fans sideways with a dry, sandpaper covered dildo the whole time.

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They basically just made a bunch of crap up by season 6 and then wasted time they could use to get a good ending.  The ending made little sense and in some areas conflicts with things wefound out earlier in the series.

True to a point.  Basically, instead of answering the questions that we had during the first 5 seasons they brought new things into seasons 6 and then the finale answered those new questions.

Some things were explained such as the whole Jacob/smoke monster things.  

Al in all it was still an excellent series.

BTW, there was an extra mini episode in which Ben goes around explaining a few things that people always wondered.  I forget what it was called, I believe it was included with the series DVD package.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is NOT correct.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#29]
That was the most beautiful ending of any television show I've ever seen.

They had to find each other in limbo in order to move on.  Wonderful concept.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Uh oh, Chango!

LOL classic!  Don't fuck with hurley; he will sucker punch you in a basement and that will be the beginning of the end...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The part in red isn't.

I thought it was one of the greatest series ever until the last season, then I realized I wasted my time and wanted to kick everyone in the nuts.  Kate too.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It was hilariously obvious the entire time that they were just making shit up as they went along, so the ending wasn't really all that surprising.

I think the writers were trolling.

This.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#33]
It was about stopping the man in black from destroying the world.

The last season brings the characters back together as they journey to the afterlife after they've lived out their lives.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The part in red isn't.

I thought it was one of the greatest series ever until the last season, then I realized I wasted my time and wanted to kick everyone in the nuts.  Kate too.

Kate (Evanveline) was just as pissed as us...she boycotted the after show.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True to a point.  Basically, instead of answering the questions that we had during the first 5 seasons they brought new things into seasons 6 and then the finale answered those new questions.

BTW, there was an extra mini episode in which Ben goes around explaining a few things that people always wondered.  I forget what it was called, I believe it was included with the series DVD package.

It pains me to be the one to tell you this, but it has to be said:

Your parents are Santa Claus.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I just watched the last episode tonight. I was thinking about posting here to get cliff's notes on WTF happened.

Now I have to wonder if I'm dead and you guys are moving on with me......

Dibs on guns and ammo!!!  

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My parents are dead.  I'm not really following the lame attempt at humor...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#38]

The best resolution would have been no resolution.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#39]
The show was good but the ending pissed me off. They had to make an ending no one could understand to hide the fact they made it up as they went along.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flash sideways wasn't the afterlife either.  That was real life after the island.  Their arrivals into the afterlife, or "waiting place" didn't happen until they were dead.  They met up in the "waiting place" as each of them died.  That's how I remember it anyway.  I haven't seen it since it aired.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flash sideways wasn't the afterlife either.  That was real life after the island.  Their arrivals into the afterlife, or "waiting place" didn't happen until they were dead.  They met up in the "waiting place" as each of them died.  That's how I remember it anyway.  I haven't seen it since it aired.

Nope, the entire Flash Sideways was the afterlife that they built for themselves.  Jack having a son, his ex-wife being Juliet, Faraday a rock star, all of it, afterlife.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#42]
all the "flash backs" were just all of them meeting up after they died.  nothin more really.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#43]
As I got further into the series I came to the conclusion that the writers simply had to be making it up as they when along.
It got so convoluted and distorted that it imploded in on itself.
Still....the show had some cool characters.
Never did get around to watching the lat season.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As I got further into the series I came to the conclusion that the writers simply had to be making it up as they when along.

Absolutely, they simply got too deep to explain it all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The show was good but the ending pissed me off. They had to make an ending no one could understand to hide the fact they made it up as they went along.

Seemed pretty obvious to me,  some escaped, Hurley took over jacobs job with Ben as his "richard", those that had passed before and those who passed later all met up in a limbo until they all were reunited.  Not that hard...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Lame show.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm very sorry to hear that.  But what I was saying is that anyone who believes the producer's b.s. about how they meant for this to be the ending all along must also believe that Santa Claus is real.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Dumbest fucking tv show ever.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seemed pretty obvious to me,  some escaped, Hurley took over jacobs job with Ben as his "richard", those that had passed before and those who passed later all met up in a limbo until they all were reunited.  Not that hard...

I would've liked to watch the Hurley/Ben show running the island.  That would have been some funny stuff.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm very sorry to hear that.  But what I was saying is that anyone who believes the producer's b.s. about how they meant for this to be the ending all along must also believe that Santa Claus is real.

I never said that I believed that, I actually said quite the opposite.  That doesn't change anything else, tho.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top