Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
2/21/2020 11:35:28 PM
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:31:09 PM EST

I’m a girl with a fro, raised in the place once known as “Chocolate City.” I grew up part of a black nuclear family, was home-schooled, then became part of of the mini-Historic Black College Experience at Temple University. After arriving in New York, I became an intern at Essence, a magazine so safe I likened my boss to an aunt. Those settings were as comfortable as my grandma’s cooking on any given Sunday.

I longed to crawl back to my tiny black universe. A place where I could create a sense of peace, identity and acceptance, a place where I could sit there, trying to untangle my fro and make sense of what it means to be an African-American woman in this country, rehashing our history while facing present pain. But life happens, and most of us can’t stay in our own utopias forever.
View Quote

I was tired of catering to everyone else’s comforts. How much of my day-to-day experiences as a black woman do I have to filter? I replace “hey girl” with boring hellos. I eat my leftover fried chicken outside the office. In order to have some common point of identifiable communication, I pretend to care about Taylor Swift, or white movie stars on their I’ve-lost-count remarriages and those other white pop stars I could not care less about. “Oh yeah, she’s cute,” I tell them. “Yeah, that’s cool.”
View Quote

I don’t want to ignore my rage, but I don’t want to be controlled by it either. Concealing my emotions has made me feel like a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off.
View Quote

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/20/im_tired_of_suppressing_myself_to_get_along_with_white_people/
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:32:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2015 6:32:35 PM EST by David_ESM]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:32:43 PM EST
fuck her and all like her
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:33:15 PM EST
"I pretend to care about Taylor Swift, or white movie stars on their I’ve-lost-count remarriages and those other white pop stars I could not care less about."

meanwhile, we'll go on pretending to care about YOU.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:34:47 PM EST
But the media will tell us that she is not a racist.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:35:13 PM EST

I was tired of catering to everyone else’s comforts. How much of my day-to-day experiences as a black woman do I have to filter? I replace “hey girl” with boring hellos. I eat my leftover fried chicken outside the office. In order to have some common point of identifiable communication, I pretend to care about Taylor Swift, or white movie stars on their I’ve-lost-count remarriages and those other white pop stars I could not care less about. “Oh yeah, she’s cute,” I tell them. “Yeah, that’s cool.”
View Quote

I agree with this part.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:36:36 PM EST
I know it's been said, but it bears repeating.

DUPE
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:37:09 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mclovin5-0:

I agree with this part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mclovin5-0:

I agree with this part.

Maybe she'd be happier in a different kind of arrangement. You know, kind of separate, but equal, where she wouldn't have to bump elbows with white people.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:41:02 PM EST
Good. I'm tired of suppressing my white rage in order to function in a society now full of PC pussies that are so afraid of hurting someone's feelings, they allow others to shit all over them for no fucking reason.

I guess we are even

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:42:41 PM EST
IBTL,
Just upping my post count!
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:44:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2015 6:44:28 PM EST by VA-gunnut]
I don't want my dupe rage to build.
Top Top