Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2011 6:56:40 PM EDT
I'm channel surfing and stopped when I see this . . . hell, I don't know what to call him.  A grown, adult male that apparently loses his shit when he encounters a lizard.  We're not talking about something like a 20' saltwater croc or large monitor like a komodo.  No, he's freaking out about some little 3" brush lizard on the trail ahead of him.  This dude can't even look at videos or photographs of any four legged reptile.  It literally brought the guy to tears!  I find myself hard pressed not to call him a huge, pillow-biting flip-boy.  I know this is a clinically diagnosed disorder and it's difficult or near impossible for some to control . . . but really?

Sure, I'll admit it.  I can't stand cockroaches.  For as long as I remember I've found them to be vile, disgusting, loathsome creatures.  But when I encounter them, they get disposed of and that's it.  Yea, I'll also admit that scene in Creepshow grossed me out.  

My point is what ever happened to man the fuck up?  You're going to let this unfounded, illogical fear trap you?  One woman on the show won't take her daughter to enjoy the park because she's afraid swarms of moths will attack.  Another can't go in the back yard with her husband and son because she fears birds.

E-95
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
150 years ago, people did not have these problems.   People have these problems because they are convenient in some manner, and allow them to manipulate other people.    

I know someone like this.   The severity of her response is directly proportional to the square of the number of other persons within earshot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm scared to death of candiru.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in mortal fear of prehistoric Trilobites.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
150 years ago, people did not have these problems.   People have these problems because they are convenient in some manner, and allow them to manipulate other people.    

I know someone like this.   The severity of her response is directly proportional to the square of the number of other persons within earshot.

So, you know one attention whore.

I can guarantee you that not all people with phobias are like that.  And I can likewise guarantee you that people had severe phobias even 150 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen a 280 lbs 6 ft man nearly jump onto a stool freaking out over a little field mouse that got into his house.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm with you on that one.

E-95
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I was 26 years old before I found out my Dad has a fear of spiders... when I asked why he never told me he said "I didn't want you to grow up in fear of anything."

I really can't say that I fear anything.... so, thanks Dad...

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]
And I can likewise guarantee you that people had severe phobias even 150 years ago.

Back then, Natural Selection was the order of the day.  

Now, we must provide for them, allow them to reproduce, protect them.  Cause everyone knows we're almost out of people.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you know one attention whore.

I can guarantee you that not all people with phobias are like that.  And I can likewise guarantee you that people had severe phobias even 150 years ago.

I'm not doubting it.  

My comment is colored by the dramatic explosion of psychological syndromes, phobias, conditions, disorders and the like that we've seen over the last couple of generations.   My experience with the drama queen (you got that right!) and many others for whom a simple backhand and the imprecation of "Don't Do That" would have been very effective treatment further casts a jaundiced light.

My inner Walt Kowalski  twangs really hard when i see people with weirdo psych problems parading them for the camera.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

E-95

I thought I was the only one who knew what they were. I'd rather be bitten by a shark several times than play host to one of thse little fuckers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

E-95

I thought I was the only one who knew what they were. I'd rather be bitten by a shark several times than play host to one of thse little fuckers.

I'd heard of them before but an episode of River Monsters provided the real horrifying lesson.

E-95
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

there are certainly people that fit that description, but actual phobias trigger both sympathetic and parasympathetic responses.  that is, the problem is physiological.  for example, people with blood phobia experience severe physiological reactions when they view simulated blood events, even when they are told that they are not viewing real blood.

and these are motivated patients who are trying to get better.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

E-95

I'd heard of them before but an episode of River Monsters provided the real horrifying lesson.

E-95

I had a book called Killers of the Seas that I learned about them from. Fucking vampires-and they don't bite you in the neck.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
150 years ago, people did not have these problems.  People have these problems because they are convenient in some manner, and allow them to manipulate other people.    

Oh, really?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#15]
There was one that lost his shit when he saw puppies
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Tribbles freak me out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Cougars scare me

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My 6 year old was the same way.

(and mom's reaction would only feed the drama)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top