Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2010 11:16:03 AM EDT
I don't know much about this dude but I like him. He's running for Texas Land Commissioner.

Jerry Patterson

http://www.votepatterson.com/

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
the only thing I know is that he carries a Kimber
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Could be a Survival Forum Arfcommer....see the G-shock?  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And his grip sucks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Heard his commercial today.  And while I am glad he supports the right to keep and bear arms, what the heck does his packing have to do with Texas Land Commissioner?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Could be a Survival Forum Arfcommer....see the G-shock?

Looks like a Timex Ironman.

From his site: http://www.votepatterson.com/about.html

Jerry Patterson was born in Houston, Texas on November 15, 1946. He graduated from Texas A&M, Class of 1969 and received his commission in the United States Marine Corps. Volunteering for duty in Vietnam in 1972, Patterson was later designated as a Naval Flight Officer and served in Marine fighter squadrons until his retirement from the Marine Corps Reserve as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1993.

Five consecutive generations of Patterson’s family have served our nation in time of war.

As state senator for District 11 (Harris, Galveston, Brazoria), Patterson’s major legislative successes include passage of the historic concealed handgun law, a constitutional amendment allowing home equity lending, the state coastal management plan and the creation of the Texas State Veterans Home Program. A tireless advocate for his fellow veterans, he chaired the first Veterans Affairs committee in the Texas Senate.

Since his election as Texas Land Commissioner in 2002, Patterson has modernized and revitalized the Texas General Land Office, the oldest agency in Texas. He has diversified and increased the Permanent School Fund, made Texas a renewable energy leader, protected state lands and overseen the greatest expansion of veterans benefits since World War II.

Jerry resides in Austin and has four children, twins Samantha and Cole, born in 2004, and Emily and Travis. His daughter Emily is an attorney working in Kosovo for an agency funded,in part, by the U.S. State Department. His son Travis is a graduate of Texas A&M, where he was commissioned as a Marine Lieutenant. Travis recently returned from serving his 2nd tour of duty in Iraq as a U.S. Marine attack helicopter pilot.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Crappy grip, bad trigger discipline. Carries a Kimber. Signs of bad judgement?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]
fix your grip and get your finger off the trigger
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Probably bought the gun that morning
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably bought the gun that morning

Wouldn't surprise me, it looks brand new.  The finish has been so weak on my Kimbers that its mostly rubbed off the contact areas within a few months of carrying.  If he really does carry it on a daily basis, I bet he hasn't been doing it for very long.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Heard his commercial today.  And while I am glad he supports the right to keep and bear arms, what the heck does his packing have to do with Texas Land Commissioner?

Many people (myself included) consider gun control to be a reliable "litmus test" of how the candidate conducts himself in other political areas. As a pro-gun Land Commissioner, he should be amenable to the opening and maintaining of public shooting areas. An anti-gun Land Commissioner will be just the opposite, and use his/her power to close down existing ranges, and deny use permits for new ranges and shooting areas.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And his grip sucks.

This
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And his grip sucks.

This
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to see him run for Governor after this cycle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I have met him and support him.  He has kept his word in how he voted and works for TX.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have met him and support him.  He has kept his word in how he voted and works for TX.

That's great to hear. Perhaps you could speak with him about his grip and trigger discipline?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have met him and support him. He has kept his word in how he voted and works for TX.

That's great to hear. Perhaps you could speak with him about his grip and trigger discipline?

Why don't you worry about your politicians in Illinois and we'll handle ours?  Let's see some photos of yours that support the 2A so publicly.  That goes for you guys in NJ and NY that want to be critical as well.  Put up or shut up.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And his grip sucks.

This

That. And a finger on the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Many people (myself included) consider gun control to be a reliable "litmus test" of how the candidate conducts himself in other political areas. As a pro-gun Land Commissioner, he should be amenable to the opening and maintaining of public shooting areas. An anti-gun Land Commissioner will be just the opposite, and use his/her power to close down existing ranges, and deny use permits for new ranges and shooting areas.

Yep. L. Neil Smith called it a "Vulcan mind-meld".

"Make no mistake: all politicians –– even those ostensibly on the side of guns and gun ownership –– hate the issue and anyone, like me, who insists on bringing it up. They hate it because it's an X-ray machine. It's a Vulcan mind-meld. It's the ultimate test to which any politician –– or political philosophy –– can be put."

"If a politician isn't perfectly comfortable with the idea of his average constituent, any man, woman, or responsible child, walking into a hardware store and paying cash –– for any rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything –– without producing ID or signing one scrap of paper, he isn't your friend no matter what he tells you."

"If he isn't genuinely enthusiastic about his average constituent stuffing that weapon into a purse or pocket or tucking it under a coat and walking home without asking anybody's permission, he's a four-flusher, no matter what he claims."

"What his attitude –– toward your ownership and use of weapons –– conveys is his real attitude about you. And if he doesn't trust you, then why in the name of John Moses Browning should you trust him? If he doesn't want you to have the means of defending your life, do you want him in a position to control it?" — Novelist L. Neil Smith, Why Did it Have to be ... Guns?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Translation: "I'm a good 'ol boy who's humble and not elitist".

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heard his commercial today. And while I am glad he supports the right to keep and bear arms, what the heck does his packing have to do with Texas Land Commissioner?

I thin Harry Reid wound argue otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And his grip sucks.

This

That. And a finger on the trigger.

Keep in mind there are reports in front of him.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have met him and support him. He has kept his word in how he voted and works for TX.

Why don't you worry about your politicians in Illinois and we'll handle ours? Let's see some photos of yours that support the 2A so publicly. That goes for you guys in NJ and NY that want to be critical as well. Put up or shut up.

He also is closing one eye Hey Chuck Schumer was a Field And Stream "Hero of the Year" in 2008

I've noticed a lot of people that wear glasses close one eye, including my son.  Eh, whatever works.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And his grip sucks.

No kidding, dude's gonna break a thumb.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Why is everyone dissing the guy for his grip? I shoot how it feels comfortable, not how someone thinks I should. Internet Commandos.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a whole lot of public land in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#27]
yeah shitty Kimber, shitty grip  

who cares fuck it

dude owns a gun and is comfortable to be pictured with it

shit he'd have my vote
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Jerry Patterson is one of the gun owner's best friends in Texas.  He has guns in his office, regularly carries (albeit a .22 derringer) in the Capitol, and if he could get an A+++++++++ rating from the NRA and/or TSRA he would get it.

Texans have a CHL law because of him.
-p.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why is everyone dissing the guy for his grip? I shoot how it feels comfortable, not how someone thinks I should. Internet Commandos.

His grip isn't great for controlling recoil, and I've seen 1911s have fail to feed/extract issues when teacupping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top