Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 1:34:16 AM EDT

I am an AOL idiot. AOL is for those of us, who don't care to think on the internet.

I have a main screen name thing, that I just always use. I NEED to change it, but its like changing your phone number...easier to keep the one that everybody has.

I have several other accounts, TOTALLY inactive.  One in particular, I use when I have to put my e-mail address on something...like when I bought my last car, or when I sign up for an account.

My secondary account had 710 e-mails waiting for me. Another account had almost 400...one that I set up to talk to ONE person, like 10 months ago...and never gave to anybody else had 200+.

Are there that many rich, childless people in Nigeria?

Is it like this on other AOL type things?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember the heady days of my first Hotmail account.  Every day, for every one peice of legit mail, there would be about 75 spam messages.  It was getting to where I was deleting whole pages of mail after only scanning the sender's address.  I lost more than one legit mail that way, so I ditched it in favor of some obscure mail account that got about 1/eleventybillionth the spam I got on Hotmail and AOHell.

At the time I was 15, and still kept my AOHell ID so that I could sign on to mom's computer.  The chat rooms were ok, sort of, if you waded through alot of BS.  Sometimes it was just for my own perverse amusement; sort of a "so that is what society is like.  Its nice to live in my own world" sort of thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to try gmail (Google’s free web based e-mail service).  I get maybe one spam e-mail every two weeks.  If you want to try it I can hook you up with an invite (required to be able to sign up), just shoot me an IM with an e-mail address to send it to.  And I currently have 2.7 gig mailbox limit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

At the time I was 15, and still kept my AOHell ID so that I could sign on to mom's computer. .

I don't even NEED aol to get online anymore. I have this cable service, but can't seem to get online without the aol page I suck at the internet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the time I was 15, and still kept my AOHell ID so that I could sign on to mom's computer. .

I don't even NEED aol to get online anymore. I have this cable service, but can't seem to get online without the aol page I suck at the internet.

You can, you've just been brainwashed that AOL is the portal to the internet.  Once you finally get off of it, you'll be saying to yourself "that's all it was?".
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can, you've just been brainwashed that AOL is the portal to the internet.  Once you finally get off of it, you'll be saying to yourself "that's all it was?".

Tell me how to log on, without AOL!

Where are my favorite places
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me how to log on, without AOL!

Where are my favorite places

When you get a "normal" connection, you just use Internet Explorer, or Firefox, or whatever browser you want.  They have a "Favorites" folder as well.  You just add them there.  It's really quite simple.  AOL would probably be bankrupt if it weren't for the people that are afraid to switch.  Just get your access through cable/dsl.  We'll walk you through the rest, especially if you keep coming up with pics like the Vegas Shot ones.  lol  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#7]
If it is cable then it should be always on, turn your computer on and start Internet Explorer, you may have to copy and paste your favorites from AOL. I don't know how that works. Once you get used to the Internet Explorer thing do this: Start, then Settings, then Control Panel, then Add or remove programs....... find AOL and get rid of it!!!!!!!! You will be much happier. Then you start to realize IE is teh sux and you will switch to firefox
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If it is cable then it should be always on, turn your computer on and start Internet Explorer, you may have to copy and paste your favorites from AOL. I don't know how that works. Once you get used to the Internet Explorer thing do this: Start, then Settings, then Control Panel, then Add or remove programs....... find AOL and get rid of it!!!!!!!! You will be much happier. Then you start to realize IE is teh sux and you will switch to firefox

She'll still need to cancel her AOL account, and notify her friends of her new email.  Your cable company/DSL provider can walk you through setting up email through them, if you want to go that route.  Or just start using your AR15 email  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If it is cable then it should be always on,......... and you will switch to firefox

She'll still need to cancel her AOL account, and notify her friends of her new email.  Your cable company/DSL provider can walk you through setting up email through them, if you want to go that route.  Or just start using your AR15 email  

But you can do that over the phone, remove AOL anyway it has too many shady little tricks it pulls to keep itself on your comp
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:33:35 AM EDT
[#10]
WRT the AOL mail, I had the same problem when I had AOL. You can change the settings to allow ONLY E-mail addies that you specify. I know it's a PITA, but it works. BTW, I eventually went to DSL and never looked back. You CAN kick the AOL habit. I had AOL since 1999, and I thought it was the best. I just didn't know any better.

WRT your favorites, DON'T remove AOL from your system. You can still use it to access your favorites without signing in. Once you have it open, and you open your 'favorites' list, right-click, select 'edit', and copy the url to the address bar on your new browser and save it to your favorites there.

Alternately, you can select 'edit' and paste the urls to a write document. Go through and save all the ones you want and save the document.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is it like this on other AOL type things?

Maybe it's because of this guy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Yahoo mail has done a good job of catching spam, always dumps it automatically in my bulk mail folder, and has an easy empty option for it.  A few times maybe a month one spam message out of 200 makes it into my inbox, and just mark it and say spam, and it usually won't come back.  I like their free mail service a lot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Back around 2000 my family first got teh intraw3b, and we got AOL.  I got so many spam e-mails it wasn't funny, but some of them were hillarious because the spammers were so clueless.

Now, I have Yahoo mail.  I don't have any problem with spammers anymore.  The spam blockers are great.  

Okay, now after reading the thread, I agree with MauserMark 100%.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#14]
what version of AOL are you using.  you can use AOL over your high speed connection(it will work just like it did before just 10X faster).   you just have to create a new location.   and tell it to connect over the broadband connection  

edit    

you can also go to aol.com   login at the top right hand corner where is says AOL and AIM mail.  and that will let you check your email.  but you can't get  your favorite that way.   you can only get your favorite if you use the crappy AOL software.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#16]
On all but one of your secondary accounts, block all mail delivery. This will be a non issue.
If you are using 9.0 se, there is spam filters to block 98% of the crap that is sent on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Love that movie!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top