Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2008 6:55:48 PM EST
So I saw this trailer for this movie "Untraceable" where supposedly this computer task force tracks down people who commit crimes online.

Then, one day, they get this completely new one where a victim is steadily fed through an IV a poison/toxin/something which causes him to die, and the more people that visit the site to watch it happening, the faster the poison/toxin/whatever is released into the blood stream, so the faster the victim dies.

Maybe it's 'cause I'm an IT geek, or maybe it's actually addressed in the movie, but my alarm went right off.

If this happened in the real world, LE could just find out who's hosting the website, have the connection to the server severed, and trace down the source of the web cam feed.

Movie looks cool, but I just can't buy it with this plot hole wide enough to drive a semi-truck through.

Unless any super-duper hackers out there would know how to prevent this from happening.

Takers? Anyone? Bueller?

_MaH
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:56:54 PM EST
Sounds kinda ghey.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:57:43 PM EST
You probably punch babies too, don't you?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:59:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By mhoffman:
Unless any super-duper hackers out there would know how to prevent this from happening.

Takers? Anyone? Bueller?

Sure, hack Akamai.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:00:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 7:27:16 PM EST by mhoffman]

Originally Posted By MagicPussyCat:

You make it sound like I just disclosed the ending to Cloverfield several days before it was released, when I actually just pointed out something semi-obvious.

I do still want to punch the guy who did that - no warning provided - with the simple thread title of "Cloverfield". Bastard

Oh, and here's the movie's website

_MaH

ETA: Fucking balls, there was post 2200!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:01:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:17:13 PM EST
If it would be so "easy" to trace don't you think hackers wouldn't hack stuff because of knowing they would be found? There are some people out there with amazing computer skills. Probable plot though...of course not.

So I saw this trailer for this movie "Untraceable" where supposedly this computer task force tracks down people who commit crimes online.

Then, one day, they get this completely new one where a victim is steadily fed through an IV a poison/toxin/something which causes him to die, and the more people that visit the site to watch it happening, the faster the poison/toxin/whatever is released into the blood stream, so the faster the victim dies.

Maybe it's 'cause I'm an IT geek, or maybe it's actually addressed in the movie, but my alarm went right off.

If this happened in the real world, LE could just find out who's hosting the website, have the connection to the server severed, and trace down the source of the web cam feed.

Movie looks cool, but I just can't buy it with this plot hole wide enough to drive a semi-truck through.

Takers? Anyone? Bueller?

_MaH
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:19:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By Paul:
I would have the IV drip monitoring a password protected Yahoo! chat group. I would use 'bot computers to link one to another a few deep and command them remotely from a hi-jacked 802.11 network - or even via amateur radio across the country.

Might be harder to find you that way, but I place a call to Yahoo and have them shutdown the chat group. Life saved, at least assuming we can actually find him in time.....

_MaH
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:19:54 PM EST
Seen the trailer twice, before I Am Legend and Cloverfield.

Both times it completely lost me at "He hacked into my car's computer!"

Seriously, wasn't Die Hard 4 embarassing enough?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:21:47 PM EST
this movie is dildos
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:23:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By MagicPussyCat:

You make it sound like I just disclosed the ending to Cloverfield several days before it was released, when I actually just pointed out something semi-obvious.

I do still want to punch the guy who did that - no warning provided - with the simple thread title of "Cloverfield". Bastard

Oh, and here's the movie's website

_MaH

I was kidding.

But everybody ALWAYS dies in those stupid movies.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:23:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By CaGray:
If it would be so "easy" to trace don't you think hackers wouldn't hack stuff because of knowing they would be found? There are some people out there with amazing computer skills. Probable plot though...of course not.

I suppose if you took control of a "zombie" computer which did nothing more than relay your commands to the destination, so traces make it seem as though the "zombie" computer is the actual origin of the commands, you could potentially evade detection...

Though your hijack program on the "zombie" computer would have to evade any existing antivirus and spyware software (not too hard to find such a computer) and have the ability to completely wipe itself off the system upon execution of a self-destruct command (thus preventing any further tracing beyond the "zombie" computer)

But still, it's possible to terminate the website's connection from the internet. This means the number of people watching drops to 0, and so theoretically the guy's IV feed shuts off.

Or maybe it's like Speed and it automatically dumps it all into him if the number of users drops below a certain number.

Thinking about this even harder is actually making me want to see it...

_MaH
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:25:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By Osirus23:

Yeah, that part actually made me laugh out loud (lol, as the case may be).

_MaH
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:28:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/22/2008 7:34:23 PM EST by F22_RaptoR]

Originally Posted By Osirus23:

No kidding, i groaned through the entire movie

The "tech" stuff on there was so terrible it wasn't eeven funny... Almost as bad as Swordfish...

"Ohh i just see the code in my head"

ETA

i dont wanna actually calculate it (so im using " ((1 x 2^128)x10)" )

so a 128 bit SSL passowrd could have 3.4x10^39
(34,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0­00,000,000,000)

differnt passwords that are numeric only.

most gov websites nor use 256 bit security, and ever time you go one bit higher the security level (# of digits) DOUBLES.

I could be wayyyy the fuck off, i am most definatly not a math or network security guy (my brother is both) but even if im way the fuck off, thats a lot of fucking numbers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:30:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By mattsd:
this movie is dildos

QFT.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:34:24 PM EST
Ya, like if the host was terminated it's instant death so they would actually have to trace it which would be very time consuming done by the right person. Hacking into a car computer....

Originally Posted By CaGray:

I suppose if you took control of a "zombie" computer which did nothing more than relay your commands to the destination, so traces make it seem as though the "zombie" computer is the actual origin of the commands, you could potentially evade detection...

Though your hijack program on the "zombie" computer would have to evade any existing antivirus and spyware software (not too hard to find such a computer) and have the ability to completely wipe itself off the system upon execution of a self-destruct command (thus preventing any further tracing beyond the "zombie" computer)

But still, it's possible to terminate the website's connection from the internet. This means the number of people watching drops to 0, and so theoretically the guy's IV feed shuts off.

Or maybe it's like Speed and it automatically dumps it all into him if the number of users drops below a certain number.

Thinking about this even harder is actually making me want to see it...

_MaH
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:37:17 PM EST
This is about the only movie that has caught my interest in the last five years. But I will wait until it comes out on dvd.

The only problem I have with it is that the poor schmuck hooked up to the IV wouldn't last 10 minutes in today world. There are just too many sick twisted turds that want to watch the guy die.

It's a freaking movie. If you want reality, watch a documentary.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:43:57 PM EST
It's a movie, not real life.

Geez.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:56:10 PM EST
It's no different than AR's that go "click click click" when you repeatedly pull the trigger on a empty chamber. Or when someone flies through the air after being shot.

Just movie BS. I yell enough at the "news" "reporters" as it is, I have learned to give the fiction writers a pass.

-WhyTanFox

Top Top