Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:58:31 AM EDT
Have you heard people saying this?  I have to say I totally disagree.

People didin't see the tsunami coming.  They didin't have time to evacuate, let alone prepare for it.  People KNEW this was coming and were told to get out of Dodge.  People that didn't are all of the sudden stunned when they're getting trapped in their attic or on their roof (the lucky ones).  

I have a hard time feeling all that sorry for those types.  Before you think I'm cold-hearted, I DO feel sorry for everyone who suffered loss, except for those who had the opportunity to avoid it.

I don't think this is at all like the tsunami, and I think it's ignorant to make that comparison.  

What say you, ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

People didin't see the tsunami coming.  They didin't have time to evacuate, let alone prepare for it.  People KNEW this was coming and were told to get out of Dodge.  People that didn't are all of the sudden stunned when they're getting trapped in their attic or on their roof (the lucky ones).  

I have a hard time feeling all that sorry for those types.  Before you think I'm cold-hearted, I DO feel sorry for everyone who suffered loss, except for those who had the opportunity to avoid it.

I don't think this is at all like the tsunami, and I think it's ignorant to make that comparison.  

What say you, ARFCOM?

I agree, no comparison to the tsunami.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I say regardless of whether or not they new it was coming, the absolute destruction and devastation of peoples homes and their lives is tragic.  And true to form, Americans will rally together and help these poor people.  The rest of the world won't give a shit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That's like someone sticking their finger into a 220V outlet, and someone else saying that it was his 'getting struck by lightning.'

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
First, the tsunami losses were in the hundreds of thousands of people.  This might top 300.  I don't see a very good comparison there.

Second, this is hurricane season.  They happen every year, and every year we get spanked in one of the southeastern states... Nothing new.  Nothing ground-breaking.  Last I checked tsunamis of the magnitude that hit recently was one of those one in 1000 year type freak occurences.  I don't see a very plausible link here either.

Third, we all saw the radar images of this thing coming.  DAYS beforehand.  No one knew the tsunami was coming due to crappy warning system protocol in the 3rd world countries.  Again, no parallel.

The comparison is bullshit.

I'm sorry for the people's losses in both events.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What say you, ARFCOM?

I agree wholeheartedly.

There is a big difference between a hurricane with a death toll in the thousands tops (being generous here) and a tsunami that killed over 300,000 people in one blow.

Big difference.

I don't know why everyone wants to be a bigger victim than the other guy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't sweat the comparison.  Both are major natural disasters involving flooding and loss of life, mainly near the coast.  I think that's all they meant, and I wouldn't read too much more into it.  Yes, the tsunami was more widespread and killed a lot more people, but if you looked at a chunk of damaged tsunami-area about the size of what was hit by Katrina, you'll see similar amounts of damage.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#7]
It was the mayor of Biloxi who said this!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=384225
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I say regardless of whether or not they new it was coming, the absolute destruction and devastation of peoples homes and their lives is tragic.  And true to form, Americans will rally together and help these poor people.  The rest of the world won't give a shit.

What really sux is that some that didn't leave, stayed because they couldn't afford the gas to go.

(I got that from the news, we know how far that goes)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Its like some of the Brits saying the subway bombings were their 9/11
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What really sux is that some that didn't leave, stayed because they couldn't afford the gas to go.

Or they didn't have cars or can't afford to buy a car and/or gas.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Regardless, where are the Blue Helmets & their rescue choppers?

Is Bob Geldolf & the Hollyweirds planning a Katrina Aide Concert?

Fuck No. THis is the South, Red States, you know what the Libs will be saying.

Charity and Aide starts at home, sorry UN, sorry Africa, sorry MI & turd world countries, we're gonna be a little late with the handouts this year. (Yeah, right).
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say you, ARFCOM?

I agree wholeheartedly.

There is a big difference between a hurricane with a death toll in the thousands tops (being generous here) and a tsunami that killed over 300,000 people in one blow.

Big difference.

+1.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#13]
My disaster is bigger than your disaster!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]
in the united states they have family and heating water should be common sense.  eating food that doesn't require heating is all over the place, canned food, dehydrated, mre's.  Self defesne should be common knowledge as his human instincts and what they're capable of.

Maybe I'm just more prepaired then most people.  It would have taken me less then 5 minutes to have everything I would need and leave on in a automobile, atv, or foot if necessary
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I think that the guy who said it may have been up for a few days straight and was under a lot of pressure - I'm actually willing to cut him a little slack on that comment.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I feel no sympathy for most of the people who planned and reacted poorly to Katrina.

I keep emergency supplies on hand at all times.  I'm always prepared to walk home in case of an earthquake.  People in NO had days of time in which they knew a bad storm was coming.  People here have to be prepared all the time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on, nobody stayed because they "couldn't afford gas" or "didn't have a car".  How many people did you see WALKING to the Superdome?  There were lots of shelters they could've went to.  Heck, they were BUSSING PEOPLE OUT OF THE CITY FOR FREE!

There were some real victims, but there were more people who died because of their own STUPIDITY.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
First, the tsunami losses were in the hundreds of thousands of people.  This might top 300.  I don't see a very good comparison there.

Second, this is hurricane season.  They happen every year, and every year we get spanked in one of the southeastern states... Nothing new.  Nothing ground-breaking.  Last I checked tsunamis of the magnitude that hit recently was one of those one in 1000 year type freak occurences.  I don't see a very plausible link here either.

Third, we all saw the radar images of this thing coming.  DAYS beforehand.  No one knew the tsunami was coming due to crappy warning system protocol in the 3rd world countries.  Again, no parallel.

That figure is extremely, extremely optimistic.  It would not surprise me if the total loss of life ended up being 20,000.  ENTIRE regions and cities are underwater- Gulfport alone had 70,000 people in it, around half left, and the whole place is underwater.  The entire town of Slidell MS is underwater, etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Someone having to deal with the realities on the ground in the places hit would certainly perceive things differently.

One life sacrificed to save 1,000 is no big deal...unless the 1 is someone you care about....

That sort of thing.

The hurricane isn't as big a disaster as the tsunami...unless it destroys your life.

I can give the mayor some leeway on that one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone having to deal with the realities on the ground in the places hit would certainly perceive things differently.

One life sacrificed to save 1,000 is no big deal...unless the 1 is someone you care about....

That sort of thing.

The hurricane isn't as big a disaster as the tsunami...unless it destroys your life.

I'm sure the Mayor and everyone else in the region is having a tough time.  I don't doubt that at all.  However, it shows a lack of appreciation for the magnitude of someone else's trauma when you compare your "less tragic" event to theirs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That figure is extremely, extremely optimistic.  It would not surprise me if the total loss of life ended up being 20,000.  ENTIRE regions and cities are underwater- Gulfport alone had 70,000 people in it, around half left, and the whole place is underwater.  The entire town of Slidell MS is underwater, etc.

I guess we'll see how it pans out.

BTW, the deadliest hurricane ever was in 1900 and ~ 8,000 people died.  That is 38 times fewer people than the amount that died in the tsunami.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sort of thing.

I agree, a single person against the nature's fury whether it be a tsunami or hurricane, I guess their suffering could be percieved as just about equal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Well in terms of deaths, maybe this pales in comparison to the tsunami.  But in terms of destruction of property, and all the shit that brings with it when you've lost everything in your house, all your possessions and the sentimental attachments most people have tied up with things in thier houses, this is gonna be just as bad.  We're only now beginning to see how bad this was...the financial toll of this will be astronomical, let alone the disruption of life factor for hundreds of thousands of people.  

And *most* of the folks in LA, AL, and MISS are AMERICANS...so I'm inclined to be a little more sympathetic to thier plight.  

Jeesus, sometimes the absolute cluelessness of some people around here is just breathtaking.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Politics and $$$.  Same as always.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I am suprised Al Quida has not come out and said Allah sent this to crush the infi...the...uh...whitey
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Born yesterday or willing to take a risk?  They built the city in a hole (below sea level) and whining about the flood waters?  People of Florida and the Gulf States are going to have hurricanes.  Get ready for your number to be called.

I guess that having a Civil Engineering background, I will never build or live in a flood prone area.  I am sorry they got hit, but a flood prone area not a wise place to live.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Looking at this pic you can see why someone would say that:  forms.belointeractive.com/sharedcontent/datafiles/1125380695760_ORIGINAL_100_0861.jpg (not posting the pic itself due to its large size).
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am suprised Al Quida has not come out and said Allah sent this to crush the infi...the...uh...whitey

give them time...I figure by the end of the week.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well in terms of deaths, maybe this pales in comparison to the tsunami.  But in terms of destruction of property, and all the shit that brings with it when you've lost everything in your house, all your possessions and the sentimental attachments most people have tied up with things in thier houses, this is gonna be just as bad.  We're only now beginning to see how bad this was...the financial toll of this will be astronomical, let alone the disruption of life factor for hundreds of thousands of people.  

And *most* of the folks in LA, AL, and MISS are AMERICANS...so I'm inclined to be a little more sympathetic to thier plight.  

Take someone else's name in vain sometimes the absolute cluelessness of some people around here is just breathtaking.  

No, you're the one that's clueless.  If you think that the destruction of property (which is inconsequential in comparison to the loss of life) will be "just as bad", you are an idiot.  

All that aside, I want to reiterate that I feel bad for those who are affected, and wish it wouldn't have happened.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Looking at this pic you can see why someone would say that:  forms.belointeractive.com/sharedcontent/datafiles/1125380695760_ORIGINAL_100_0861.jpg (not posting the pic itself due to its large size).

Right, but where the tsunami water touched most of the places were leveled.  Aftermath pics of storm surge water a couple hundred yards inland are always going to look bad.  The fact that the structures are mostly intact shows that this water was escapable.

I hope they had flood insurance.

I will ask for prayers for the dead or injured.

All that being said, this was nothing at all like the violence of tsunami that claimed hundreds of thousands of lives.

They are both tragic, but one is not on the scale of the other.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take someone else's name in vain sometimes the absolute cluelessness of some people around here is just breathtaking.  

No, you're the one that's clueless.  If you think that the destruction of property (which is inconsequential in comparison to the loss of life) will be "just as bad", you are an idiot.  

All that aside, I want to reiterate that I feel bad for those who are affected, and wish it wouldn't have happened.

Ah, since we've degenerated into name calling, allow me to reciprocate.  You're an idiot if you think loss of life is the only form of suffering in a disaster.  It may by "inconsequential" to you, but I'm quite confident it's anything BUT that to the people who are living in the aftermath of Katrina right now, and who've probably lost everything....family heirlooms and other stuff that is irreplacable, not to mention not having a home or a job anymore, at the very least, for the short term.  

Look, my beef is not with you in particular...it's with the general mindset of a lot of folks around here who seem to have virtually no compassion for anyone in any situation.  Arguing about whether or not this is as bad as the tsunami is indicative of that...how the fu** will ANY one of us know what's these folks are feeling right now...but here we are at ARCOM, denigrating their suffering becuase the mayor of Biloxi made a statement, in the heat of the moment, as he sees the damage to his town, that a few folks seem to think is over the top.  

The Red Cross says this will be their largest disaster relief mission EVER in the U.S.  That sounds prett big to me.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Look, my beef is not with you in particular...it's with the general mindset of a lot of folks around here who seem to have virtually no compassion for anyone in any situation.

I don't think it's about compassion for me.  I'm taking the remark at face value.

The water that touched the tsunami's killing field killed entire generations of people.  It erased towns and cities from the map.  They are gone forever, as there is no one left in some places to come back and rebuild the old places.  Houses, towns, cities,, industries are ERASED from the Earth after the tsunami.  Not to mention the magnitude of lives lost in that event.

I'm just not sure that this hurricane can be uttered in the same league as that.  Again, not about compassion.  Simply about comparative analysis.

If the Israelis, like the Brits, tried to say that one of their bus bombings was equivalent to the Pentagon and WTC events of 9/11/01, I think we would have a similar disparity.

It's not about compassion.  I feel great compassion for the losses that our brothers in the South are feeling today -- however -- it pales in the face of the tsunami's COMPLETE and THOROUGH devastation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Taken in context..look at their city. It is gone. I think the Mayor is comparing to the shear horro and loss of homes, businness and structures. They are gone...I mean gone.

So yes, this would those people in Gulfport/Biloxi's tsunami. They have nothing to go back to, just a few streets and trees.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm gonna have to agree. Wouldn't go so far as comparing it to the Tsunami, but it will be a looonng time before we have any accurate death toll.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry,  I just don't see 20,000 happening.  This isn't 1920.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, let's all jump the mayor of a town whose city is either completely submerged or simply gone.

What was that guy thinking, anyway?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OR they chose not to take the "FREE" bus ride that the Red Cross, FEMA, the local and State .gov offered them!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Taken in context..look at their city. It is gone. I think the Mayor is comparing to the shear horro and loss of homes, businness and structures. They are gone...I mean gone.

So yes, this would those people in Gulfport/Biloxi's tsunami. They have nothing to go back to, just a few streets and trees.

They're alive.  They already have alot more left than 200+ thousand did after the tsunami.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Maybe it is, I guess we'll have to wait and see some more coverage.  From the first things I saw this AM it doesn't look as devastated as is being stated now.  I guess maybe some things have changed since 8am today.....

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, since we've degenerated into name calling, allow me to reciprocate.  You're an idiot if you think loss of life is the only form of suffering in a disaster.  It may by "inconsequential" to you, but I'm quite confident it's anything BUT that to the people who are living in the aftermath of Katrina right now, and who've probably lost everything....family heirlooms and other stuff that is irreplacable, not to mention not having a home or a job anymore, at the very least, for the short term.  

Look, my beef is not with you in particular...it's with the general mindset of a lot of folks around here who seem to have virtually no compassion for anyone in any situation.  Arguing about whether or not this is as bad as the tsunami is indicative of that...how the fu** will ANY one of us know what's these folks are feeling right now...but here we are at ARCOM, denigrating their suffering becuase the mayor of Biloxi made a statement, in the heat of the moment, as he sees the damage to his town, that a few folks seem to think is over the top.  

The Red Cross says this will be their largest disaster relief mission EVER in the U.S.  That sounds prett big to me.  

This has already been adequately responded to by SHIVAN:

"It's not about compassion. I feel great compassion for the losses that our brothers in the South are feeling today -- however -- it pales in the face of the tsunami's COMPLETE and THOROUGH devastation. "
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Makes you wonder... if people who live in the constant path of hurricans aren't the dumbest people in the country... oh wait... don't forget the landslides, fires, tornados and earthquake people... Maybe they're all just attention whores. They sit around waiting for mother nature to put them on CNN.

Sucks to be them, but they chose where they live, they opt to stay in their homes when the warning bells are ringing full throttle... so who's to blame?

Quoted:
That's like someone sticking their finger into a 220V outlet, and someone else saying that it was his 'getting struck by lightning.'

Quoted:
Its like some of the Brits saying the subway bombings were their 9/11

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#42]
OK, I rescind my disbelief from earlier:

www.hurricanelivenet.com/aftermath.wmv

Looks like they got hit much harder than what was being reported and SHOWN this AM.......

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Looks like they got hit much harder than what was being reported and SHOWN this AM.......

Oh my God......

At least there aren't bodies laying in the street. ( that we could see)

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Stick with your original statement... I haven't seen any footage of beaches strewn with corpses or enture houses floating away to sea.

Most of that is just debris in the streets. Unless there is some concernfor picking through that shit to find valuables a team of dozers and a bunch of long dumpsters can fix most of that. Aside from a few buildings it looks like most of the city is structurally intact and that most of the damage can be fixed to the street level shops ans such. It's not like they'll have to demolish buildings and sart fresh.

Still nowhere near the damage of the tsunami.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What say you, ARFCOM?

It's just an analogy and all analogies fail at some point in similarities.   I'm neutral on this one.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stick with your original statement... I haven't seen any footage of beaches strewn with corpses or enture houses floating away to sea.

Most of that is just debris in the streets. Unless there is some concernfor picking through that shit to find valuables a team of dozers and a bunch of long dumpsters can fix most of that. Aside from a few buildings it looks like most of the city is structurally intact and that most of the damage can be fixed to the street level shops ans such. It's not like they'll have to demolish buildings and sart fresh.

Still nowhere near the damage of the tsunami.

OK, I'll temper my comments.  This is not on a equal scale of devastation to the tsunami, but I'll bet it FEELS like it to the folks in Gulfport.

My best wishes goes out to them....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
OK, I'll temper my comments.  This is not on a equal scale of devastation to the tsunami, but I'll bet it FEELS like it to the folks in Gulfport.
My best wishes goes out to them....

Fair enough... I'm sure they're all hating life right now. Sucks for them. Hope those that deserve to be helped get the help they need... and that those who are looting die a horrible death.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Two similiarities? The short clipt hat ran on NBC News late last afternoo about Lucy Lawless having to flee the set of a film she's starring in in New Orleans...and one of the stories after the tsunami was about a model who had to cling to a tree for hours and hurt her ankle.

Well, Jet Li was in a Maldives hotel lbby that got flooded by the Tsnuami, but he just grabbed his daughter and jumped from floating chair to floating chair until he got to the steps. Unlike the model he wasn't crying about not being able to walk down a runway due to an injured ankle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
....and one of the stories after the tsunami was about a model who had to cling to a tree for hours and hurt her ankle.

The model fractured her pelvis, and clung to a tree that she was swept into with her boyfriend, who got swept away and was never seen again.

See any difference in your account of the scenario, and mine?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#50]
It reminds me of the people who hear of a shooting in a large city and saythat it's "Like downtown Baghdad!!"

About a year ago a gas line (aviation fuel) was ruptured in the area by a work crew, and a welder further down the same trench ignited the gas once it reached him. The newspapers the next day had quotes from idiots saying that "I thought I was in Fallujah!!"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top