Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 8:47:51 AM EDT
Last Friday in the debate, Kerry lambasted Bush for approving of "sneak and peek" searches that the Patriot Act grants to law enforcement.  Check this out:

About "Sneak and peek"

One of the good things about going to school is that you learn things. In a course I am taking now, we had to read the book Terrorism: Informing the Public, which is a report of a conference held by the McCormick Tribune Foundation in early 2001. You can order the book for free from the Foundation, still, I think.

Anyway, there was a passage in the book I found pretty interesting, from a chapter entitled "Terrorism in a Free Society." The speaker is Kate Martin, a civil liberties lawyer, a former ACLU lawyer. She says this in her talk:

In 1994, for the first time, Congress authorized secret searches of Americans' homes and papers in the name of national security, so that if the FBI obtains what's called a FISA [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act] warrant from the court on the grounds that you are suspected of being a foreign agent, it has the authority to enter your house, photograph your papers, duplicate your computer hard drive, and never let you know it's been there.

In other words, "sneak and peek" has existed since 1994, before President Bush held elected office (he was elected Texas governor in 1994, so he took office in 1995). The President that signed this legislation was President Clinton. And of course, John Kerry was serving in the Senate. So there should be a record. Searching Thomas, it seems that the "sneak and peek" provision under FISA was a separate bill proposed as part of improvements to counterintelligence measures. The whole of this bill was later incorporated into another bill on national competitiveness. This bill was passed in the Senate by a roll call vote, 59-40 (1 not voting). In the voting record, we find:

Kerry (D-MA), Yea

Interestingly, almost all of the Yea's are Democrats, and all but one Nay is a Republican. At any rate, Kerry voted for "sneak and peek" from it's first appearance in US law, and he voted for it in the Patriot Act. And now - now he is offended by it. He has a record, and he can run, but he can't hide from it.

www.overpressure.com/archives/week_2004_10_03.html#001084

Call me crazy, but I am seeing a recurring pattern with Kerry's rhetoric.  Everything he seems to criticize, he once held a different position on in the past.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
You should contact Drudge, or Fox News with this story.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You should contact Drudge, or Fox News with this story.

There was a story on O'Rielly last week where in interviewed the Judge that Fox has on everynow and then. Anyway the story was about a Judge somewhere in the US that has ruled the Patriot Act unconstitutional (what a suprise) on the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 9th Admendments.

We shall see where this goes, I bet nowhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top