Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 11:33:43 AM EDT

Kind of a fusion of Indiana Jones + Star Wars + War Of The Worlds + Old-time movie serial.

Pretty decent and original-looking flick. Like nothing else that's been around since maybe "RocketMan". Check your brain at the door and just have fun. Good date-flick too. BTW... The last line is one of the best cappers of any movie in a long time.

I give it **** out of ***** for creating a VERY interesting and imaginative parallel 1940ish world.

Rated PG - good for almost any age.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#1]
yea looks decent.. sorta interesting, since the entire movie was shot before a blue screen.. everything but the actors were computer generated. will have to check it out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#2]
 I am totally looking forward to seeing it.  Hey, Mac, it was great seeing you again (at the party ) take care!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Besides it got Angelia Jolie in it.

She plays a minor role. Besides, Gweneth is much easier on the eyes.

Check your brain at the door and have fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll see it today, no time to see anything otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She plays a minor role. Besides, Gweneth is much easier on the eyes.

AJ's lips are easier on my dick.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a look at the game Crimson skies for the XBox and the PC
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I didnt care for the movie.  The dialogue seemed kind of chessy.  Kids enjoed it though.  Movie reminded me of Fritz Lang's Metropolis.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I enjoyed it.  I like those old serials, like "Radar Men from the Moon."  They good a good job of putting a good deal of visual jokes in the scenery.  One robot looked like one I saw in an old Superman comic, and they digitally inserted Lawrence Olivier in another scene.

Was the ship named "Venture" in the original King Kong?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If you like the old Superman cartoon shorts or 30's serials or Golden Age comics - you will like this movie.

Dialog, lighting, effects, cuts, props, sound effects, and camera work all seem lifted right out of the old serials.

I loved it!!!

Av.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Took my son and his cousin to see it today.  It was fun, we all had a good time.  Not on the level of Raiders of the Lost Ark...more along the lines of The Rocketeer, but still a fun movie.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Looked interesting and definitely had that comic book 1940s serial look to it.

Just was waiting for the verdict that "it didn't suck", thanks.

Before too long, they're zooming through the sky and the sea with Angelina Jolie who is dressed in highly fetishized military drag -
will someone please award this woman an honary pen-s already?!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I saw it... and I like 95% of all movies I see.... and this movie SUCKED.  Dont waste yer money.

Overpredictable, melodramatic, and annoying best describe it.  Or just a big waste of time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well I saw it... and I like 95% of all movies I see.... and this movie SUCKED.  Dont waste yer money.

Overpredictable, melodramatic, and annoying best describe it.  Or just a big waste of time.

I bet you played chess while the other kids were outside playing army.
I thought it was pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#18]
We'll go see it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet you played chess while the other kids were outside playing army.
I thought it was pretty damn good.

Hey that was mean!  

Naw, I wasnt a braniac.... I just didnt like this movie.  And believe me, like I said, I like almost 95% of the movies I see, including most of the ones recommended on this site.  Just this one left everything to be desired.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Just saw it - I liked it, but it wasn't really good like I have to buy it when it comes out. It was a good date movie though as said above, and date's son liked it (obvious importance) The computer work was great, date said the dialog was all wrong - I agree of course  It is one of those movies that is better on a very large screen, even a big screen TV would not showcase the environments as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Only movie ever filmed ENTIRELY in front of a blue screen.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#22]
First two-thirds dragged, last third got a little more interesting; the kids stopped asking when it would be over

The faintly out-of-focus, psuedo-film noir effect, got wearing after a while.  Lots of set and visual cues referencing movies of the 30's and 40's, and one homage to George Lucas (the address of the German Dr's lab was "1138").

I've paid to see worse films; this one was a solid 5 on the 10 point scale.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe 99 cent movie, maybe a rental...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#26]
It wasn't all that bad. As mentioned, you need to go in with the right attitude, which is that your brain is switched off and you're watching a comic book. Once you accept that parts are going to be stupid you can revel in the cleverness of the stupidity. I got a kick out of the flying aircraft carriers and some of the jokes.

It had good set design; Metropolis was defintely an influence. The cinemetography was more "fuzzy" than I'd like. It reminded me of a colorized B&W movie.

BTW, the Empire State Building really was set up to dock dirigibles.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
yea looks decent.. sorta interesting, since the entire movie was shot before a blue screen.. everything but the actors were computer generated. will have to check it out.

I believe one of the characters is somewhat computer generated.  They took footage from a long dead actor, cleaned it up, altered it with computer and used it in the new film.

I guess they wont have to pay him royalties.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I enjoyed it.  I like those old serials, like "Radar Men from the Moon."  They good a good job of putting a good deal of visual jokes in the scenery.  One robot looked like one I saw in an old Superman comic, and they digitally inserted Lawrence Olivier in another scene.

Was the ship named "Venture" in the original King Kong?

Yeah saw it the other night along with "Without a Paddle"  (good FAL action in there).  Anyways saw it at the drive in and it was ok, glad I didn't pay the 8-10 bucks that sit down theaters charge nowadays.  

Yes the Venture was the ship that brought King Kong to the USA
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The last line is one of the best cappers of any movie in a long time.

"cappers"
Cute.  

I loved it.  Good thing, too.  I had been looking forward to it since the first previews.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#30]
But did Angelia Jolie get naked? If not I refuse to see it
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:56:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Any bewoobies?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Check your brain at the door and have fun.

The above should, by law, be posted in front of every movie theater. If you go in expecting accuracy in history, politics, clothing, arms, anything, you will be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Its PG, I'd assume no bewbies.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top