Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 3:35:20 PM EDT
I think I'm gonna have a burger tonight in her honor

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060107/ap_on_fe_st/cow_escape

Cow Escapes Meat Plant, Dodges SUV, Train Fri Jan 6, 10:32 PM ET

GREAT FALLS, Mont. - A cow that escaped a slaughterhouse dodged vehicles, ran in front of a train, braved the icy Missouri River and took three tranquilizer darts before being recaptured six hours later. News of the heifer's adventures prompted a number of people to offer to buy the animal.

The black, 1,200 pound heifer jumped a gate at the packing plant at around 5 a.m. Thursday and apparently wandered through residential areas. Police received reports at about 9:30 a.m. that it was in the middle of a busy intersection.

Police tried to catch the cow, and had her wedged between a stock trailer and a fence, but the heifer barreled through the fence toward the river, nearly being hit by a Chevrolet Suburban.

It was the first of many near-death experiences.

With the police in pursuit, the cow ran toward the railroad tracks and darted in front of an oncoming locomotive, briefly giving the police the slip again.

Crossing another road, the cow was nearly struck by a semi tractor-trailer.

"By then it was a madhouse," said police officer Corey Reeves. "People were coming out of the woodwork to see."

When police, animal control officers and slaughterhouse workers surrounded the cow in a park near the Missouri River, the cow jumped into the icy water.

As she swam to the west bank of the river, Reeves said she sank lower in the water and was being swept downstream. But the cow found a sandbar near the river's west bank and walked to shore.

"I was totally amazed she was able to swim the river," said Del Morris, the slaughterhouse manager.

As police scrambled to head off the cow on the other side of the river, a veterinarian with a tranquilizer gun was called.

Pursuers again believed they had the cow cornered at a chain link fence, but the heifer ran through a perimeter set up by officials.

The chase began to slow as the cow ran up against several strong fences. Dr. Jennifer Evans of Big Sky Medical Center shot the cow with a tranquilizer dart.

It had little effect.

Two darts later, the heifer showed no signs of going down. Slaughterhouse workers created a makeshift pen with metal panels that led to a stock trailer.

The heifer walked into the trailer at 11:45 a.m.

The cow was taken back to the slaughterhouse, where it was put in a pen — with a stronger fence — and given food and water.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to think that I would be that kind of cow.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a "jumper", you had better have some horses and riders used to working cows. Can be done with as little as 2 horses, one if the setup is right.

BTDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Viva la cow, keep on keep on moooing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I think she deserves to be put back on a happy farm and become an old cow.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
"You all taste so much better when your afraid!"

Anyone know what movie that quote is from?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Could have been handled with a lot less trouble.......

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My Dad was taking his cattle to the auction last year when the latch on the trailer busted open and three of them got out.  It happened on a back road, but the road was next to I66, and all three cows promptly ran out onto the interstate.  State Police had it shut down going both ways for about a half an hour until they and my Dad chased them off.  He got two of them back into the trailer, but the other one ran off and disappeared.  

This happened about 11 am.  He spent the whole afternoon looking for the cow.  Finally, about dark, he went back to the house.  Just as he was sitting down to eat dinner he got a call.  A woman had hit the cow about three miles from the house in her car.  He went to the scene and found out that the cow had been hit by a Toyota going about 15 miles an hour, got knocked down, then jumped up and ran off into the woods.  Dad was ticketed for letting an animal run loose.

He looked thru the area for hours with no success.  The next morning, he got up at dawn and left the house with a rifle.  The cow had to be stopped.  While he was coming down the driveway in his truck, he saw the cow.  It had made it four miles, thru the woods and over two ridges, in the middle of the night, after being hit by a car, and was now standing outside the fence around the padding waiting to be let back in.  Strange thing was that the cow had NEVER been off the farm until the day before.  It found its way home thru some cow internal navigation system.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Dang, I tough the title said Hefner. Never mind.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
At 1200 lbs, that is not a heifer, but a full grown cow.

And a full grown, lactating cow can easily clear a 6 ft fence (seen it up close and personal!).

If that cow was tranqued, it will probably be 14 days before it can be slaughtered for food.

Nothing more comical than watching a bunch of LEOs and non cattlemen try to "catch" a jumpy cow.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]
This escape wasn't as good as the three buffalo from a couple of years ago from the same slaughter house. They ran down the busiest street in town and avoided all attempts to capture them. They were finally shot and loaded up into a truck with a front end loader to be butchered. They didn't want to use the  horses for this cow because they were worried about the traffic. Deer are a common occurrence as well as the occasional moose and elk.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#11]
One round from a 22 lr behind the ear  would have made the chase a lot shorter.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And a full grown, lactating cow can easily clear a 6 ft fence (seen it up close and personal!).

If that cow was tranqued, it will probably be 14 days before it can be slaughtered for food.

Nothing more comical than watching a bunch of LEOs and non cattlemen try to "catch" a jumpy cow.  

You seem to know what you are talking about, but some consider any cow that hasn't given birth a heifer, no matter how young it is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Reminds me of being in Jackson, WY a few years ago and a baby elk was running around all through town terrorizing the sidewalks by the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar and last I saw it people were running for their lives in front of all the shops around the town square there
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
[PinkFloydAnimals]Low we shat rise up and make the buggers eyes water.[/PinkFloydAnimals]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You seem to know what you are talking about, but some consider any cow that hasn't given birth a heifer, no matter how young it is.

yup if its a virgin its a heifer
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My Dad was taking his cattle to the auction last year when the latch on the trailer busted open and three of them got out.  It happened on a back road, but the road was next to I66, and all three cows promptly ran out onto the interstate.  State Police had it shut down going both ways for about a half an hour until they and my Dad chased them off.  He got two of them back into the trailer, but the other one ran off and disappeared.  

This happened about 11 am.  He spent the whole afternoon looking for the cow.  Finally, about dark, he went back to the house.  Just as he was sitting down to eat dinner he got a call.  A woman had hit the cow about three miles from the house in her car.  He went to the scene and found out that the cow had been hit by a Toyota going about 15 miles an hour, got knocked down, then jumped up and ran off into the woods.  Dad was ticketed for letting an animal run loose.

He looked thru the area for hours with no success.  The next morning, he got up at dawn and left the house with a rifle.  The cow had to be stopped.  While he was coming down the driveway in his truck, he saw the cow.  It had made it four miles, thru the woods and over two ridges, in the middle of the night, after being hit by a car, and was now standing outside the fence around the padding waiting to be let back in.  Strange thing was that the cow had NEVER been off the farm until the day before.  It found its way home thru some cow internal navigation system.

I remember hearing about that on the radio!  The traffic guy was like "I-66 closed in both directions due to . . . three cows loose on the interstate."    I laughed pretty hard.  The rest of the story is pretty funny, though -- who knew cows came with GPS?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I know where this is headed...

www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/cowswithguns.php
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/fight4yourrights/Online%20Pics/freedom.jpg

Definitely needs a cow's head photoshopped onto there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup if its a virgin its a heifer

I always referred to my unbread/replacement female calves under 2 years of age as Heifers,  But the industry term is probably more corectly translated as "not having calved".

We alwqays had problems with ear tags falling off, so resorted to naming many of our for record keeping purposes.  The "heifer pasture" was where the young keepers went to stay away from the bulls a while.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I know where this is headed...

www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/cowswithguns.php

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Some tough meat with that cow.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#24]
[Tommy lee Jones]Alright, listen up, people. Our fugitive has been on the run for ninety minutes. Average hoof speed over uneven ground barring injuries is 4 miles-per-hour. That gives us a radius of six miles. What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at fifteen miles. Your fugitive's name is Elsie. Go get her. [/Tommy lee Jones]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Im sad.  The whole time I read the arcticle I thought, its a cow, ots a heifer.  Pick one, its not interchangable.

Anyways, sounds like a fun damn bit of cow wrangling.  I love it when a cow escapes and kicks everyone's ass.  

Unless of course, its me.  Then Im just angry.  When they clear 4-5 foot fences without brushing the top wire, I am impressed.  Sure beats the hell out of the old battleaxe that mows down a gate and a takes off.  Then you have to fix shit after you put that sour cunt back up.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Cows are an impressive hazard to navigation---I saw one get hit by a gravel truck hauling doubles.. The truck and the cow were both totalled....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'd like to think that I would be that kind of cow.

That cow has heart.  I would pardon her....she's a breeder for sure.

-HS
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

-HS

Oh Hell No!

You'd end up with jumpers and runners from that bitch.  When I had one like that, she would be put in the stock trailer whenever I was lucky enough to catch her.  Didn't matter if the sale was 3 or 4 days off, I'd feed and water her in the trailer, she got out of the trailer only when she was unloaded at the sale barn.

I won't even talk about the mean ones and those that had both an attitude and horns.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#29]
lol
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I totally agree with you.  I remember about 25 years ago when we had no clue what to do, to contain a HUGE bull that had no thought of what all the guys in uniform were trying to get him to do.  The farmer arrived and in no time at all he had the bull back in the pasture.  We are lucky no one got hurt.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok, just so we know while we have you cowboys here..........

If we are being attacked by one of your wild fence jumping car killing angry heifer bull angus cow calfs, what round do we need and what is the correct shot placemt?

Will my 1911 do it??

5.56??

.308???

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If we are being attacked by one of your wild fence jumping car killing angry heifer bull angus cow calfs, what round do we need and what is the correct shot placemt?

Will my 1911 do it??

5.56??

.308???

Thanks!

If she is really ringy and you want to put her down instantly, think along the lines of Cape Buffalo hunting.  .458, .416, .460WBY Mag., ect.....

Just putting down cows I have shot them with .22lr., .22mag, .357, .45acp, .223, 22-250, 30-30, 30-06, .300mag......Just whatever i had in the truck or handy.,
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-HS

Oh Hell No!

You'd end up with jumpers and runners from that bitch.  When I had one like that, she would be put in the stock trailer whenever I was lucky enough to catch her.  Didn't matter if the sale was 3 or 4 days off, I'd feed and water her in the trailer, she got out of the trailer only when she was unloaded at the sale barn.

I won't even talk about the mean ones and those that had both an attitude and horns.

Listen, it's like this.  You might be in the cow business for money, but that cow has moxie.  People like moxie.  The cow is popular.  Popular people (and cows) get their way.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Will my 1911 do it??

5.56??

.308???

Thanks!

Usually rattling a bucket of feed will do it.  Then lead the bovine where you want it, don't chase it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#35]
That kind of cow is an example to us all.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Fat and docile, big and dumb
They look so stupid, they aren't much fun
Cows aren't fun

They eat to grow, grow to die
Die to be et at the hamburger fry
Cows well done

Nobody thunk it, nobody knew
No one imagined the great cow guru
Cows are one

He hid in the forest, read books with great zeal
He loved Che Guevera, a revolutionary veal
Cow Tse Tongue

He spoke about justice, but nobody stirred
He felt like an outcast, alone in the herd
Cow doldrums

He mooed we must fight, escape or we'll die
Cows gathered around, cause the steaks were so high
Bad cow pun

But then he was captured, stuffed into a crate
Loaded onto a truck, where he rode to his fate
Cows are bummed

He was a scrawny calf, who looked rather woozy
No one suspected he was packing an Uzi
Cows with guns

They came with a needle to stick in his thigh
He kicked for the groin, he pissed in their eye
Cow well hung

Knocked over a tractor and ran for the door
Six gallons of gas flowed out on the floor
Run cows run!

He picked up a bullhorn and jumped up on the hay
We are free roving bovines, we run free today

We will fight for bovine freedom
And hold our large heads high
We will run free with the Buffalo, or die
Cows with guns

They crashed the gate in a great stampede
Tipped over a milk truck, torched all the feed
Cows have fun

Sixty police cars were piled in a heap
Covered in cow pies, covered up deep
Much cow dung

Black smoke rising, darkening the day
Twelve burning McDonalds, have it your way

Cows with guns

The President said "enough is enough

These uppity cattle, its time to get tough"
Cow dung flung

The newspapers gloated, folks sighed with relief
Tomorrow at noon, they would all be ground beef
Cows on buns

The cows were surrounded, they waited and prayed
They mooed their last moos,
they chewed their last hay
Cows out gunned

The order was given to turn cows to whoppers
Enforced by the might of ten thousand coppers
But on the horizon surrounding the shoppers

Came the deafening roar of chickens in choppers

Cows with guns
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-HS

Oh Hell No!

Listen, it's like this.  You might be in the cow business for money, but that cow has moxie.  People like moxie.  The cow is popular.  Popular people (and cows) get their way.

Not on my dime. Curious (as in Christopher Columbus curious) and uppity cows go to market. To make money you want nice docile breeding cows.

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top