Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2008 5:04:30 PM EDT
"Riding shotgun" do lefties have an advantage?(in American vehicles)

Seems like they would when engaging targets on the side and to the rear
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously...
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
but they're at a disadvantage when it comes to targets up front
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Lefty turned, or turned around, in the seat is too obvious.
Righty can keep concealed against the door, draw up above the window sill, bracket the target and withdraw to concealment very rapidly, often fast enough to not be positively identified.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

Pics from Tiger Valley Course

As a leftie I would find this a challenge.  The last course I took at TV required switching from strong to weak with the rifle.  It's going to take alot of work to get it to feel nature for me.

Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Riding shotgun is a misnomer.

The guy with the shotgun should be in the back seat so he can shoot out of either side.

Like the bad guys in Bullitt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know, I've been doing things my whole life in a righty world, so shooting a rifle righty isn't that much of a challenge to me.  Handguns are a little harder, but I've had pretty good luck with it.

-Mark.

Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't know, I've been doing things my whole life in a righty world, so shooting a rifle righty isn't that much of a challenge to me.  Handguns are a little harder, but I've had pretty good luck with it.

-Mark.

Funny.  I'm the exact opposite.  I have zero trouble with handguns in either hand.  I really *can* shoot with both hands.  But rifles?  Not so easy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a lefty but right eye dominant, I shoot handgun left handed(right eyed) and long gun right handed. I should be good  at side to rear shots with the handgun and side to front shots with the long gun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Mark.

Funny.  I'm the exact opposite.  I have zero trouble with handguns in either hand.  I really *can* shoot with both hands.  But rifles?  Not so easy.

Yeah, I can see I'm going to have to spend some time shouldering long arms lefty
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Leftys RULE!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Mark.

Yeah, I can see I'm going to have to spend some time shouldering long arms lefty

I think I can do the rifle thing because I was a M-60 gunner in the Army.  You pretty much have to shoot those righty.  Lots of practice...

-Mark.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I shoot just as well with a long gun from either side. I suppose that might have something to do with me practicing shooting from both shoulders from the time I started out using a Daisy BB gun at age 5.

Handguns are a different story though. I can make hits up close shooting with the left hand. But I am significantly better using the right hand (or both hands).
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
If you were in a gunfight I'd just punch a hole in the winsheild and stick the barrell through it and shoot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm a lefty but right eye dominant, I shoot handgun left handed(right eyed) and long gun right handed.

I bet that would lend to some quick transitions
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome thread
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Awesome thread

Yeah, I thought it turned out pretty good too
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Mark.

Same here...

Quoted:
Leftys RULE!!!!!!!!!!

This.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Real operators can shoot ambi.

(Or so I've heard)

Its not that hard to shoot ambi.

I can do it with pistol and long guns, although i still suck at it (with long guns, im okay with pistol)

You just need to get the muscle memory into your system.

Never know, one day you might get some nerve damage in your strong hand, and cant pull the trigger anymore.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Mark.

I think I can do the rifle thing because I was a M-60 gunner in the Army.  You pretty much have to shoot those righty.  Lots of practice...

-Mark.

Yeah, but I can't think of anything that would force me to shoot(long-arms)lefty

Is there a .22 rifle that can ONLY be shot lefty for some reason?
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Try riding shotgun in a truck at night spotlighting hogs when you come up on a big bunch of them. It won't take long for you to figure out if you can shoot left handed or not.

It's a lot tougher if you're just thinking about it than if you're doing it in the heat of the moment.

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the pointers, looks like I'll be putting in some lefty time with the .22
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

not if they're ambidextrous like me.

We have had several high speed coyote hunts that have proven you are better off with a lefty up front.  An ambi like me is the best cause like you said,  I can cross over and shoot straight ahead.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm ambidextrous. It doesn't really matter which side of the vehicle I'm on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#27]
As I was looking at the gas mask thread after learning what in this thread
about the need to be able to shoot rifles on either side I noticed that the
canisters are oriented on the left or right side to allow for shooting on ONE
side, so I guess they would get in the way if you had to switch, wouldn't they?
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=747321&page=1
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Gas masks that mount the filter can on the side aren't the ONLY type out there, you know. There are plenty of gas masks (like the Israeli M-15) that mount the filter in the center. Others, like the American M-17 and Czech/East-German M-10 or Russian PBF masks have integral cheek filters so the mask is pretty much flat against your face with nothing hanging off of it anywhere.

Plus, most masks with a side-mounted filter let you switch which side the filter is mounted on (with a plug in the other side), so it doesn't matter if you're a righty or a lefty.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gas masks that mount the filter can on the side aren't the ONLY type out there, you know. There are plenty of gas masks (like the Israeli M-15) that mount the filter in the center. Others, like the American M-17 and Czech/East-German M-10 or Russian PBF masks have integral cheek filters so the mask is pretty much flat against your face with nothing hanging off of it anywhere.

Plus, most masks with a side-mounted filter let you switch which side the filter is mounted on (with a plug in the other side), so it doesn't matter if you're a righty or a lefty.

Heh, I don't know a damn thing about masks

As far as the side-mounted filter letting you switch sides
the "lefty" thread was talking about switching all the time

ETA: Heh, THIS is the "lefty" thread
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm ambidextrous. It doesn't really matter which side of the vehicle I'm on.

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real operators can shoot ambi.

(Or so I've heard)

Spend 70-75% strong side, the rest support side.

I started shooting left handed,  but for a while I was cross dominant.  Shooting a shotgun was really hard.  So i started shooting right handed.   I got pretty good at mounting and shooting right handed.  I was hitting 18-20 out of 25 clays.

We went pheasant hunting and this huge rooster shot up right under my feet making all sorts of noise,  scared the daylights out of me.  

I threw the shotgun up and fired both barrels,  CLEANLY missing him!  My dad just started roaring with laughter,  he was doubling over. We usually tease each other about stupid misses but this was more than normal.   I was standing there in shock wondering how I missed a rooster flying straight away at a few feet.

Till I looked down at the shotgun butt planted right square in the middle of my chest!  In my panic I'd forgotten I'd switched to right handed and had mounted the shotgun strait in the center of my chest.

That's been a few years and I'm still catching flak about that from my dad.  Every time he sees my kids he reminds them not to watch me shoot a shotgun in case they pick up any bad habits.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I am left handed and we learn to adapt.

You right handed folks have no idea. [evil laugh]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Off topic but here it is.

When I was younger I would only let someone who called out "Shotgun" if they owned one.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Pics from Tiger Valley Course

As a leftie I would find this a challenge.  The last course I took at TV required switching from strong to weak with the rifle.  It's going to take alot of work to get it to feel nature for me.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/rightieadvantage.jpg

ok that looks mighty fun

hold my beer, im foing
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I am left handed and we learn to adapt.

You right handed folks have no idea. [evil laugh]

+1 Don't let them in on the secret!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

US soldiers using M-17 gas masks. Notice the guy with the M-16 is a righty, while the guy with the M-240 is a lefty.

Georgian (I think) riot police with Russian PBF gas masks. Both the M-17 and PBF have integral cheek filters. Advantage: Very compact, no filter can getting in the way. Disadvantage: Changing filters requires you to remove the mask and partially disassemble it.

Israeli M-15. Notice filter is in the center.

US M-95 mask. Notice filter is on the side. It can be swapped from left to right.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1214628906233zp1.jpg
US soldiers using M-17 gas masks. Notice the guy with the M-16 is a righty, while the guy with the M-240 is a lefty.

img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture83fh5.png
Georgian (I think) riot police with Russian PBF gas masks. Both the M-17 and PBF have integral cheek filters. Advantage: Very compact, no filter can getting in the way. Disadvantage: Changing filters requires you to remove the mask and partially disassemble it.

www.approvedgasmasks.com/images/M15cop.jpg

www.approvedgasmasks.com/images/m95mask4.jpg
US M-95 mask. Notice filter is on the side. It can be swapped from left to right.

I'm just getting red Xs

As far as the filters being able to be switched, I'm referring to information in this
thread about switching from shooting right handed to shooting left handed in the
middle of an engagement, there would not be any time to switch the canister over
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1214628906233zp1.jpg

img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture83fh5.png

www.approvedgasmasks.com/images/M15cop.jpg

www.approvedgasmasks.com/images/m95mask4.jpg

I'm just getting red Xs

As far as the filters being able to be switched, I'm referring to information in this
thread about switching from shooting right handed to shooting left handed in the
middle of an engagement, there would not be any time to switch the canister over

Um, you're not supposed to switch the filter from one side to the other in the field.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#41]
It's not a lefty or righty issue, switch hands according to concealment and shooting angle factors.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck left handed people.
<­BR>

I keed, I keed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top