Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/2/2005 8:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 8:35:37 PM EDT by FiveO]
I was watching something on Fox a bit ago and saw a story from Vietnam that I had never heard before. I am a aviation geek and was amazed, simply amazed...

Found the story on the net. A worthy read, I think! (I'll highlight for the short attention span types.)

Y'all heard about this?

Pardo's Push

Their 1967 rescue from Laos was not much different from any other, but the "push" that saved their lives made aviation history.

Capts. Bob Pardo and Earl Aman and their back-seaters were assigned to the 433rd Tactical Fighter Squadron at Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand. They'd flown mission after mission in their F-4 Phantoms but with no luck.

Their elusive target, the only steel production complex in North Vietnam -- just north of Hanoi at Thai Nguyen -- had been protected by low clouds during the nine days they'd tried to reduce it to rubble. Intelligence sources reported it was protected by a half-dozen surface-to-air missile sites and more than 1,000 anti-aircraft guns.

"This is the day," they thought as March 10 brought clear skies. A strike force of F-105s and F-4s would attempt again to take out the site targeted by the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Joining Pardo was his back-seater, 1st Lt. Steve Wayne. Aman was teamed up with 1st Lt. Robert Houghton. Their job: protect the F-105s and other F-4s in the strike force, using their missiles against any threatening North Vietnamese MiGs. They also carried bombs for the steel mill's destruction if they didn't see any enemy aircraft.

As the strike force neared the target, the skies remained clear of clouds and MiGs, making the missiles unneeded. But their bombs would soon join the tons of ordnance to be dropped on Thai Nguyen.

Aman was in trouble even before he began his bomb run. Heavy fire from anti-aircraft batteries found their mark. "He would have been justified to jettison his bombs and head for home," Pardo said. "Going ahead with the run showed a hell of a lot of fortitude and determination."

More fire poured into the Phantoms, finding Pardo's aircraft. As both pilots pulled away from the steel mill, Pardo saw several warning lights flashing brightly in his cockpit, but the Phantom was still responding and flying normally. Aman wasn't as lucky. The barrage of anti-aircraft fire had found his fuel tanks, draining 5,000 pounds of precious fuel in less than a minute.

"We were hit hard and losing fuel," Houghton recalled. "As we set a course that would take us straight to the refueling aircraft, we understood we weren't going to make it to the Laotian border. It was a sure bet we'd have to bail out over hostile territory."

They were running out of options faster than they were running out of fuel.

In normal air operations, a crippled aircraft would be escorted by its "sister bird," and the bail-out point radioed to rescue forces. That wasn't good enough for Pardo. He was about to make history.

"We first tried to put the nose of our aircraft in his drag chute compartment," he said. "But there was too much jet wash coming off Aman's plane." Pardo then tried putting the top of his fuselage against the belly of the crippled F-4. Again, too much jet wash.

"Aman, drop your tailhook!" Pardo shouted desperately.

"What?" Aman replied.

"Your tailhook. Drop it! I'm going to try to push you along."

The tailhook-used for carrier landings by the Navy's version of the now-venerable fighter is used by Air Force crews only for emergency landings. The hook snags a barrier cable stretched across the runway to keep the aircraft from veering or sliding. What Pardo was suggesting had never been done; the aircraft wasn't designed for such a maneuver.

Controlled by hydraulics, the tailhook lowered and locked into place, swaying in the slipstream of the F-4's twin J-75 engines.

Pardo pulled in behind and below Aman's crippled F-4 and slowly came forward, hoping to lodge the elusive tailhook against the leading edge of his windshield. Flying at 250 knots (about 300 miles an hour) the tailhook kissed the front of the windshield.

"Kissed is the right word," Houghton said. "If he so much as bumped the windshield, he would have had that tailhook in his face. We're talking about glass here. It was phenomenal flying, nothing less."

Pardo, however, believed the windshield glass was strong enough to withstand mild contact. "It was more than an inch thick," he said. "I had to be careful not to let the hook hit the side panels. They were too weak to take it."

With Aman's engines running, it was impossible to make contact because of the jet blast. With barely a minute of fuel remaining, Pardo radioed Aman to shut down his engines.
Pardo inched into position and made contact. They were now flying as one-two aircraft flying on one pair of engines.

Slowly pushing his throttles forward, Pardo was able to keep the tailhook lodged for a few seconds at a time, but that tripled their glide range, decreasing their sink rate to 1,000 feet per minute. Once he saw it could work, Pardo kept fighting the wind, the sink rate and the swaying tailhook. "I can't remember how many times the tailhook slipped off the windshield, and I had to fight to get it back in place," Pardo said.

As if things weren't bad enough, Pardo's F-4 started to show signs of the damage it sustained during the bombing run. A fire warning light indicated a probable external fire near the left engine, so Pardo shut it down. When he restarted the engine, the warning light was off, but the internal temperature increased to more than 1,000 degrees Celsius.

"It should've read only 600," Pardo said. "That meant the flame holders or burner cans inside the engine have ruptured, and there's an uncontrolled fire, which can explode the engine and possibly the airplane."

Wayne couldn't see the engine temperature gauge from the back seat, so he didn't inform Pardo to shut it down. "I just happened to see the needle move out of the corner of my eye," Pardo said. "I didn't need any more incentive to shut it down."

With only one engine to push two aircraft, the sink rate increased to 2,000 feet per minute. Obviously, they weren't going to make it on one engine.

Pardo hit the left engine start switch. It restarted and he resumed his push, hoping everything would be okay. Less than a minute later, however, the fire warning light returned. Wayne told Pardo the engine was on fire so he shut down the engine again -- this time for good.

They flew another 10 minutes on the remaining engine. Wayne called for a couple of tankers, hoping they could link up and get a pull from the large aerial gas stations.

But time was running out. The tankers weren't going to make it in time.

Luck was still with the two aircrews. They had reached Laos, having crossed the Black River. Pardo and Wayne realized it was time to get Aman and Houghton out of their crippled aircraft. They couldn't sustain the push much longer. Their F-4 was running low on fuel, and they were only 6,000 feet above ground, giving them about two minutes of flying time, two minutes to bail out.

When the last radio call for tanker support was received, rescue helicopters and several A-1 Skyraider ground support aircraft were dispatched to where the crew was expected to bail out.

Pardo pulled back and advised Aman and Houghton to eject. As he watched their parachute canopies open beneath him, Pardo hit the throttle on his remaining engine and headed for a U.S. Special Forces camp he knew was ahead.

Two minutes later, as Aman and Houghton drifted toward the ground, Pardo and Wayne realized their fuel was gone, and they'd have to bail out. "Steve ejected, and since I'd never flown a glider before, I stayed with the F-4 a little longer, then bailed out," Pardo said.

By now, Aman had landed on the back side of a cliff and Houghton, who'd suffered a compression fracture of a vertebra during ejection, was floating directly toward a Laotian village. "They were yelling and pointing up at me as I dropped," he said. "I knew if I landed on my back, I was finished. But I floated right into a tree. My chute snagged on a limb and I stopped, barely inches from the ground.

"As I unsnapped my harness and laid down, I couldn't remember ever hurting so much," he said. The sound of gunshots from approaching villagers changed that.

"It's amazing how fast you can move when someone's shooting at you," Houghton said. "I headed out of there as fast as possible. I've never been so scared in my life!"

While Houghton was running from the villagers, Aman was having problems of his own.

"I was wearing slick-soled boots, trying to scramble up a hill. Every step forward sent me back two."

Houghton remembers laying in deep grass holding his radio and .38 pistol when he heard the unmistakable roar of Skyraiders swooping low over the mountains. "Rescue choppers were close behind. When the villagers headed for cover, the choppers found me and lowered a line," Houghton said.

Meanwhile, Wayne and Pardo were facing the same dangers from villagers, but rescue helicopters reached them first. Within hours, all four had returned to their home base at Ubon, not knowing they wouldn't see each other again for nearly 30 years.

Although "Pardo's Push" -- as the feat is now called-became another eye-popping chapter in aviation history, it took former U.S. Senator John Tower of Texas to get Pardo and Wayne the recognition they deserved. More than two decades after their heroic feat of airmanship, both received the Silver Star.

"When we got back to Ubon, they didn't know whether to court-martial me or pin a medal on my chest," Pardo said. "Some people felt I should have let Earl and Bob eject and take their chances, so I could land my aircraft safely."

The quartet was reunited at Randolph Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, last March.

Pardo retired as a lieutenant colonel and now lives in Golden, Colo. Aman also retired as a lieutenant colonel and lives in San Antonio. Wayne retired as a colonel and lives in Simpsonville, S.C., and Houghton retired as a major and lives in Spanish Fork, Utah.

They said that five planes went down that day but the four crewmen from their two aircraft were the only ones to make it home.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:37:51 PM EDT
yeah, i saw that.. it was War Stories with Ollie North. FREAKIN AMAZING!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 8:55:59 PM EDT by thompsondd]
Yes, I have heard of it before. This is more amazing than Randy "Duke" Cunnigham barrel rolling an F4 that had its hydraulics shot out so that he and his back seater could get out over the Gulf of Tonkin and eject. I think, using only the rudders, that they rolled something like 20 miles or more. Slowly, over and over. Had they not stayed with the plane and slowly rolled it as long as they did, they would have had to eject over N Vietnam and would almost certainly not have been rescued.

Into the Water

While headed back to the carrier, Cunningham’s Phantom was hit by a SAM over Nam Dinh.

Despite extensive damage, including both hydraulic systems, Duke somewhat controlled the Phantom with the rudders, enabling him and Driscoll to stay in the crippled jet. Fire warnings sounded in the cockpit, but they worried more about becoming POWs. Every extra second in the cockpit brought them closer to the coast and rescue. Finally the last systems failed and the Phantom began to spin uncontrollably. To stabilize the spin, Cunningham deployed the drag chute, "I could see ocean, then land, then ocean, then land. We were in a flat spin. I thought 'Wind blows from ocean to land. If we eject now we will be POWs.' I told Willie to stay with me just a few more seconds, as my radio filled with pleas from the other pilots to eject."

Seeing that the drag chute was useless, Duke ordered his RIO to eject. "I had told Willie never to eject until he heard me say 'Eject! Eject! Eject!... I got out the word 'Eje...' and BAM! Willie was out of the aircraft!".

ShowTime 100, BuNo 155800, fell into the South China Sea minutes after achieving her niche in the history books.

When Cunningham's chute popped opened, the cable or the metal piece on the drogue gun burned and bruised the side of his neck and the jolt gave him a lightning bolt of pain in his back. Ejecting from a high speed fighter jet hurts like Hell, but is better than the alternative.

Neither of them had ever used a parachute. Before Cunningham hit the water, he dropped his raft. He wanted to get out of the parachute as quickly as possible, to get away from the enemy gunners shooting at them and to avoid getting tangled in the chute. The wind picked up the raft and began swinging it side to side. On every upstroke of that pendulum, the parachute tucked under the downwind side. Cunningham worried, "That chute is gonna fold up and stream!" Later, the riggers told him that it would not have done that, but he didn't know it at the time.

The raft hit the water, and Cunningham looked down, trying to see over his bulky MK3C life preserver. He leaned way forward against the risers, released the fittings, and from 20 feet, dropped into the water.

He went under and clawed back up to the surface. He hit something fleshy, and thought it was a shark. But it turned out to be the rotting corpse of a North Vietnamese that had floated downstream, decaying, with its teeth showing. He told Willie later, "I thought it was you at first, but the guy was too good looking."

As soon as he got into the raft, Cunningham looked for his pistol. He had been shooting on the way down because he wanted them to know he was armed. When he got into the raft he could see enemy PT boats, so he eased himself over the side to maintain a lower profile. He almost threw away his helmet, but then remembered his training instructions to keep it for the helo pickup. He started swimming out to sea, and deflated his MK3C which hampered his swimming. When the helo arrived, he let the raft go. That could have been a mistake. because he had abandoned both his raft and the life preserver before the Okinawa helicopter picked him up. But both he and Driscoll were recovered without further difficulty.

And used the drag chute to boot................................
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:47:56 PM EDT
Holy hell. That is some pimp ass flying.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:53:34 PM EDT
They did an episode on JAG about that. At the end of the show, text rolled up and a voice-over explaining the story in Vietnam. They did the same thing with a C-130 landing on an aircraft carrier episode.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:55:16 PM EDT
This shall serve as a tag.

My dad was flying F-4s in 'Nam. I'll have to read the story and ask him if he knows about it. Could be he was there.

All I know about his tour was that he dropped a lot of bombs, chased off MiGs and got hit in the wing once.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:07:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
All I know about his tour was that he dropped a lot of bombs, chased off MiGs and got hit in the wing once.

See if you can ask him more questions and stuff about his service and write it down, if he wants to talk.

A lot of people didn't do that with WW2 guys, and now we're losing that oral history.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:20:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
All I know about his tour was that he dropped a lot of bombs, chased off MiGs and got hit in the wing once.

See if you can ask him more questions and stuff about his service and write it down, if he wants to talk.

A lot of people didn't do that with WW2 guys, and now we're losing that oral history.

A HUGE +1. One of the biggest regrets of my life was not talking to my grandfather more about WW2. He flew B17s over Europe. A treasure chest of history is now six feet under
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:39:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:44:09 AM EDT
I flew F-4's (after Viet Nam), but I'd never heard that story. They were very rugged airplanes.

A similar thing happened in Korea, I think with a pair of F-9's.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:39:05 PM EDT
Top Top