Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 3:44:29 PM EDT
I was running around my tax flyers to various apartments over the weekend and when I went to the lobby of my old apartment (loft, downtown kansas city) there was a "no weapons allowed" sign with the typical red circle with a line through it and a black pistol.  The sign was about 8x11 I imagine.  It didn't mention anything about concealed weapons, just plain said NO WEAPONS.  Does this mean that no apartment owner can bring his/her rifle/pistol in?  When I lived there I kept a loaded 12ga with #4 shot loaded by my bed as well as a half dozen assorted rifles in the closet.  

I have an email pending with management of the complex, but I'm wondering how you all would interpret this?  

BTW: The apartment is about 16 blocks south of downtown and on numerous ocassions I had homeless come up to me at night on my way to/from my car and beg me for money.  Also the bar a block across the street had an incident where 2 were shot in the back behind the parking lot. I've seen drunks in the alley pissing, and sleeping under awnings.  There were also a few cop pursuits I got to watch out of my window while there.  It was a hell of an apartment (1,000sqft 1bd, 1ba, 20 foot ceilings, 7 foot windows, brick interior, etc) and not in the worst part of town, but also not the best.  (I discovered ar15.com after I lived there.  Knowing what I know now I'll never live within 30 miles of a 'downtown' and never in an apartment again.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the laws in MO, but in many places, you are allowed to possess your weapons inside your home.  When you have a lease, the apartment is your home, and therefore you are allowed, by law, to keep your weapons there.  That sign would be illegal in Florida.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds to me that  that due to the elements in the neighborhood, and all the activity, management is trying to "do their own policing"......by keeping ALL weapons off their property, they seem to think bad guys will follow this rule too.....and therefore, they can avoid any "incidents".......just  my 2cents......
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
They're doing that because it's cheaper than a flashing neon sign saying "Unarmed Victims Here: Free rob, rape and assault Zone"
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like they dont realize the danger they put their residents in by putting up such a sign.

[hijack] If you are allowed to have weapons in your home, how does that work for people who like in dorms?  Weapons are a no-no on campus, BUT I used my dorm address as a permenant address.... which law has priority? [/hijack]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
No, it's perfectly good.  I'll bet if someone comes in to rob and rape, if you just hold up that sign, they will stop, or at least not brandish a weapon, and you'll be safe.  Also, they will wait because you say "Wait there!" while you dial 911.
Oh, I forgot.....you also have to click your heels....three times, I think.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
fuck it, keep all the weapons there you want, the management wont know.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sounds like they dont realize the danger they put their residents in by putting up such a sign.

[hijack] If you are allowed to have weapons in your home, how does that work for people who like in dorms?  Weapons are a no-no on campus, BUT I used my dorm address as a permenant address.... which law has priority? [/hijack]

In florida statute, dorms are covered seperatly from apartments.  They are covered under statues that cover schools and state universities (IIRC).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
What city?
I've spent time in St Louis and Springfield.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]
fuck it, keep all the weapons there you want, the management wont know.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it means you can't bring weapons into the lobby.  I didn't see the sticker on any other apartments, so you're good to go.  

In OK, we have to follow any type of sign (not like where in TX it has to be in a certain format).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Possible lawsuit against the apt building owner, if an intruder violates your rights and you are injured or robbed ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't know about the laws in MO, but in many places, you are allowed to possess your weapons inside your home.  When you have a lease, the apartment is your home, and therefore you are allowed, by law, to keep your weapons there.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top