Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 11:31:35 AM EDT
In-fucking-credible
Foxnews Breaking

NEW ORLEANS — As the search for Hurricane Katrina (search) victims came to an end in Louisiana Tuesday, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin (search) announced that the government was forced to lay off about 3,000 "nonessential" city employees.

"It's with great sadness that we were unable to hold onto some of our dedicated city workers," he told an afternoon news conference. "I want to thank everyone who has served our city."

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Will those be actual city employees, or ghost employees?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Were these some of the people who have been working in the city the past month?  Did N.O. officials let them finish the search for bodies, then fire them?

Or was it mostly workers who were long gone from the city in the first place?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Well with half the city wiped out, they only need half the employees to fuck run it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

NEW ORLEANS — As the search for Hurricane Katrina (search) victims came to an end in Louisiana Tuesday, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin (search) announced that the government was forced to lay off about 3,000 "nonessential" city employees.

That's a lot of non-essential employees.

*cough*

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*cough*

Understatement of the year.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I was hoping he would announce his resignation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*cough*

Isn't that like when the federal government furloughs all non-essential employees when the budget doesn't get passed in time?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, then it would have read "3001 non essential employees."
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Makes sense to me.  You don't need nearly as many bus drivers, maintenace workers, and tour guides when the city is mostly empty.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I understand, it was non-essential for the court system, local governement, fire, and police (support type staff).  About 1/2 of the workers.

If you have no revenue from taxation, then you can't pay your workers.  They are trying to work with FEMA to get help on covering pay to government employee people, but FEMA only covers overtime related to the Hurricanes.

I think it is fair, just think how many private sector people are out of work (Try 10s of thousands).

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Haha, and we should respect your opinion, a person who lives in a state with the worst legislature.  Keep voting all your gun rights away, tree-hugger!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha, and we should respect your opinion, a person who lives in a state with the worst legislature.  Keep voting all your gun rights away, tree-hugger!!!

Sheesh, wtf was that all about?  The idiot should resign.  Are you defending Nagin?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sheesh, wtf was that all about?  The idiot should resign.  Are you defending Nagin?

Umm, no I am not defending him, but everyone here on this site (except people from the effected area, and maybe a couple others) have been "HAD" by the mass media.  I would think that you (ar15comers) would know better than to believe everything you hear/see on the news!!!

Shame, Shame, Shame.

Without some serious Multi-State plan, a disaster like this couldn't be avoided!!!  Look at Texas, after N.O. was hit by Katrina, they ALL went running from Rita, and Jammed up their six lane hwys.

Even our state is estimating a $1 Billion deficit, which they don't know where it will come from if the U.S. government doesn't help.  State government is also looking for ways to cut the budget, along with the U.S. Government.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Perhaps Nagin could lead by example, and resign?  Naw... won't happen.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1  exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
From what I understand, it was non-essential for the court system, local governement, fire, and police (support type staff).  About 1/2 of the workers.

If you have no revenue from taxation, then you can't pay your workers.  They are trying to work with FEMA to get help on covering pay to government employee people, but FEMA only covers overtime related to the Hurricanes.

I think it is fair, just think how many private sector people are out of work (Try 10s of thousands).

Edwin... Either you don't get it, or your not what you are.

These people getting laid off are mostly made up of the Ghost employees and their managers who never fired them, but instead promoted(made) them(up).

This is to stop, or screw up the investigations into the the fraud going on in NOLA..

If FEMA has to pay for these guys, then as a Taxpayer I want everyone of them fingerprinted and IDENTIFIED as real before one dime is paid out to these people.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm, no I am not defending him, but everyone here on this site (except people from the effected area, and maybe a couple others) have been "HAD" by the mass media.  I would think that you (ar15comers) would know better than to believe everything you hear/see on the news!!!

Shame, Shame, Shame.

Without some serious Multi-State plan, a disaster like this couldn't be avoided!!!  Look at Texas, after N.O. was hit by Katrina, they ALL went running from Rita, and Jammed up their six lane hwys.

Even our state is estimating a $1 Billion deficit, which they don't know where it will come from if the U.S. government doesn't help.  State government is also looking for ways to cut the budget, along with the U.S. Government.

Louisiana is the most bacward state when it comes to anything..

You people let the Democrat slimes run and control the state. You allow the local goverment to lie, cheat , and steal from the local and national taxpayers.

Why don't you ask yourself what happen to the money sent to NOLA for upgrades in the dike and levey system. While your at it. Why don't you ask yourself what happen to the money sent to Louisiana from Homeland secrurity in the event of a needed evacuation.

If it were up to me. I would dredge out New Orleans and retun it to the ocean. You can get alot of dredging done with $230 BILLION. It would be better spent then wasted as it will be.

I smell something...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shame, Shame, Shame.

That doesn't change the fact that Nagin fucked up royally.  He didn't order an evac until the day before the storm hit.  He didn't use busses at his disposal.  He turned down Amtrak's offer to get people out.  A LOT of the disaster COULD have been avoided had he acted at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That would be hilarious if it weren't so damn true....

HH
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]

So how will the mayor live if you eliminate the means of his income?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Perhaps Nagin could lead by example, and resign?  Naw... won't happen.

2,999 non-essential employees to go.

Wonder if they can count all those "phantom" cops.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd like to know how many employees they had for a city of 400,000? Methinks there were a LOT of city employees, much more than were needed, or that really did any work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Just don't ship em to Detroit, we don't need anymore "employees" here that we have to pay with credit cards.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm just waiting to hear how this is George Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm trying to figure out how a multi-state plan would have been any better than the plans they ignored anyway.  TX, AL, and MI all seem to have executed their plans pretty efficiently.  I guess the idea is to actually open the plan and look at it ocassionally.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#30]
They were probably nonessential from the get-go.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
They were probably nonessential from the get-go.

BINGO!!

NOLA Employees could not properly scoop ice cream--from the mayor down.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how a multi-state plan would have been any better than the plans they ignored anyway.  TX, AL, and MI all seem to have executed their plans pretty efficiently.  I guess the idea is to actually open the plan and look at it ocassionally.

I agree, but what I mean is that if it is going to be any better of an evacuation then we need a much broader plan.

I think they did (almost) everything they could to prevent needless deaths.  All most all you can do is keep trying to bash into peoples heads that "You must leave, it is a Catagory 5 Hurricane that is going to hit your house" but there will always be people who stay!!!

Now the city is destroyed, no commerce (mainly in the CBD, as outline parishes are rebuilding already) so how do they pay employees???

Maybe the employess are worthless, I don't know, but I do know you need money to pay anytype of employee, worthless or not.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
In-fucking-credible
Foxnews Breaking

"It's with great sadness that we were unable to hold onto some of our dedicated city workers," he told an afternoon news conference. "I want to thank everyone who has served our city."

shorthand: "Ees oll Zhorzh Boosh's folt. He no geef uss de monny, mon. He mekka joo heb no chobb."

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That doesn't change the fact that Nagin fucked up royally.  He didn't order an evac until the day before the storm hit.  He didn't use busses at his disposal.  He turned down Amtrak's offer to get people out.  A LOT of the disaster COULD have been avoided had he acted at all.

I agree with you there.  I know he didn't have a plan, as he said it himself something like "I can't order a manditory evacuation because I have no place to house all these people", but I was talking about the 3000 people layoff not the evacuation.

It is hard to make people leave, all of you should know that.

There are reports of people evacuating to the Superdome in their personal vehicles, why didn't they evacuate to the north instead of into our Superdome that sits in a Bowl???

I don't think much more could have been done, except to plead with people to leave.  Seeing that this is the worst disaster in U.S. history.  Everyone has their opinion.

Larry, thanks for the reply.  We are more "on track" now that I see where you are coming from.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Alright, less 'gubment! Go hurricanes, go! Nothing like a crisis situation to trim the fat.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My point is that, most people don't know where to go with 2-3 days notice.  States need to work together , and the Houston example just shows that plans are not in place, anywhere.  Why was there no contraflow?  There were 5 other lanes not even used when Houston Evacuated.  My brother lives in League City but he left a day earlier than the Traffic.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Pity da fools
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Perspectives from outside N.O. area are different and guided by media.

I am not a Troll.  I am going to stop, as I see that I am lossing this fight.
I see that I am low on ammunition too, so I better run and fight another day.

You guys have fun!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Perspectives from outside N.O. area are different and guided by media.

I am not a Troll.  I am going to stop, as I see that I am lossing this fight.
I see that I am low on ammunition too, so I better run and fight another day.

You guys have fun!!!

Guided by media?  What does that mean?
We see pictures of FIVE HUNDRED unused buses that got flooded, hear the excuse to be "We didn't have any bus drivers" and we are supposed to accept that?
I'm guided by my own brain.  It was well known that the poorest couldn't afford to evacuate.  Appropriating the school buses was even written into the disaster plans, and then the plans were NOT used.  Now we're hearing "the people just didn't want to leave...", whereas just a few weeks ago it was "This is a goddamn emergency.  I want every Greyhound bus in the country in New Orleans NOW" and "George Bush doesn't care about Black people."
Edwin, your elected officials FAILED you, and it isn't because nobody could have predicted this or they didn't have the resources.  The plans were there and pretty comprehensive ones too, and they were NOT used.  If I lived in New Orleans, I'd feel pretty damn betrayed by the mayor and the governor at this point.  They failed you, and now they're giving you excuses.  They obviously can't handle the duties of the office.

I don't live in New Orleans, I live in a Sub, called Harvey (in Jefferson Parish).  My elected officals did a great job (I can't vote in Orleans parish).  Also I only depend on myself, as I left Sunday morning before Katrina hit.  I took my family, my mother, and as many possession that I charish and could fit into three automobiles.  I also pity the people who didn't leave as warned and who the local officals failed to protect.  I and everyone I know protected ourself, their loved ones (that includes family ), their pets, and their possessions (that were not nailed down).  

We learned the hurricane was heading to us on Friday, all day long Saturday I boarded my home and my mother's home.  I also secured my office (along with two other people).  Then we listen to the news that night, through the night and into the morning, hopeing that it will make a turn,  Sunday came and it was still heading to us, so we put the "last minute" items in our cars, and left.  THAT is what I do everytime there is a high treat that a Hurricane is going to hit us (Cat 1 - Cat 5+).  Why do I do this, someone might ask???  Well because I care about my family and myself (and others but I can't take everyone with me).

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Hurricane ----> Destruction of city and infrastructure ----> Residents evacuate ----> Business close ----> Tax base is lost ----> City can't pay employees and can't borrow money as there is no tax base from which to repay loans ----> Permanent layoffs ----> Layed off employees leave city ----> further erosion of the tax base ---->business make the decision not to repoen in NO as there are no residents ----> City dies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top