Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2004 3:15:35 PM EDT
I finally got the frozen desktop to fire up, and now I get this message.  Yes, the keyboard is plugged in, and yes it's plugged in and yes it's plugged in the right hole.

Any idea how to "unlock the key"?  I'm scared to turn the thing off again 'cause this is the clostest I've come to getting it turned on in quite awhile.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
no keyhole, yes win 2k
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you change any jumpers on the motherboard (like maybe one that can be connected to a front-panel keyswitch)?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Google says

Key lock locked

Explanation: The system is detecting that the key lock on the front of the case is locked, and therefore will not boot. The error message usually refers to the keyboard being locked but this really means the key lock on the front of the system case.

Diagnosis: The key lock may be indeed locked out. The key lock may also be miswired, or there could be a fault with the motherboard, or even the keyboard.

Recommendation:  

Make sure that no keys are being pressed in on the keyboard when the system is booting.

Unlock the key lock, if it is locked.

Investigate a possible problem with the key lock switch,     if it is either unlocked already or not present on your system case.

Troubleshoot as a motherboard failure.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I've changed all sorts of things.  I installed a DVD burner, card reader, and USB card recently.  That's where all my troubles started.  It's refused to startup since I unhooked all the new hardware, but tonight it started, now it's on the keylock screen.  I'm really just hoping I can get it running, and then I can use my work laptop (what I'm typing on now) to download the files I'm trying to rescue through my wireless network.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top