BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2005 8:54:47 PM EDT
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3958241.stm

<snip>
First - if the past 2,000 years of Western art were the judge, Jesus would be white, handsome, probably with long hair and an ethereal glow.

Second - it can almost certainly be said that Jesus would not have been white. His hair was also probably cut short.

I think the safest thing is to talk about Jesus as 'a man of colour' - Dr Mark Goodacre

Yet the notion that Jesus was black - highlighted this week in a survey of black icons by the New Nation newspaper which ranked him at number one - is genuinely held by some. One school of thought has it that Jesus was part of a tribe which had migrated from Nigeria.

And Jesus probably did have some African links - after all the conventional theory is that he lived as a child in Egypt where, presumably, his appearance did not make him stand out.

The New Nation takes it further: "Ethiopian Christianity, which pre-dates European Christianity, always depicts Christ as an African and it generally agreed that people of the region where Jesus came from looked nothing like Boris Johnson," the paper says. As light-hearted evidence that Jesus was black, it adds that he "called everybody 'brother', liked Gospel, and couldn't get a fair trial".
<snip>
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Living in Africa while you are a child does not make you black.  Presuming that Jesus' appearance did not make him stand out is just that, a presumption.

That being said, Jesus was most likely dark skinned and with coarse curly hair (like many of the working jews of the time).  And since light eyes were uncommon and not a dominant trait, he probably had dark eyes.

He most likely did not resemble the majority of European art characterizing him as a blone haired, blue eyed, skinny fellow.  After all, he was a pre-industrial revolution carpenter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]
he probably was not what we would call black, but its doubtful he was white either.

If he tried to cross the border in Texas, most of the members of this board would turn him back...

as an aside, I was talking with a young lady who was a member of the Nation of Islam and we were discussing the ethnicity of Jesus and she told me that they believe the Mohammed was white.  I was quite surprised by that.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#4]
He wasnt roman, so chances are he was middle eastern. Olive colored.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Living in Africa while you are a child does not make you black.  Presuming that Jesus' appearance did not make him stand out is just that, a presumption.

That being said, Jesus was most likely dark skinned and with coarse curly hair (like many of the working jews of the time).  And since light eyes were uncommon and not a dominant trait, he probably had dark eyes.

He most likely did not resemble the majority of European art characterizing him as a blone haired, blue eyed, skinny fellow.  After all, he was a pre-industrial revolution carpenter.

Don't see many blonde haired portrait of Jesus. Brown,and light brown but have never seen blonde.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't think it matters but that's just me.

blasphemy
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1
But for the sake of this thread I do believe that he was a shade of brown.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

blasphemy

Hey buddy I think I was about 9 before I figured out hethen wasn't my middle name!

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I fail to see how Jesus' skin color has any relation to his being the Lord and Messiah.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Unless they have  a skull ( which they don't) then they have no idea what Jesus looked like.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fail to see how Jesus' skin color has any relation to his being the Lord and Messiah.

What if they found a skull and Jesus looked like Osama Bin Ladin or Hillary?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so? many people look like osama bin laden wtf does this have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you even know that basic simple principles of Christianity?

They will NEVER find a skull.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

But he's supposed to be coming again aint he?  Then we'll know for sure.  He may look like Yoda.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Why are you trolling this forum?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
He wasnt roman, so chances are he was middle eastern. Olive colored.

He had to be pointed out in the crowd. A long haired white guy would not have needed to be pointed out at that time in that area, he would stick out like a sore thumb.  People had short hair and were pretty tan.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Unless they have  a skull ( which they don't) then they have no idea what Jesus looked like.

Sgatr15

Thats one reason I dont have any images of Christ (or the one folks attribute him to) for all we know the white hippie Jesus everyone has on their walls could be a anyone.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Thats one reason I dont have any images of Christ (or the one folks attribute him to) for all we know the white hippie Jesus everyone has on their walls could be a anyone.  

You miss the point then.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#25]
A first century Jew to be sure, though...and I'm asking this as a Jew...does it really matter?

I've always held that it's more important to concentrate on the message...not the messanger.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I agee wholeheartedly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

But he's supposed to be coming again aint he?  Then we'll know for sure.  He may look like Yoda.

Your salvation he died for.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

That's quite a feat cosidering I wasn't alive when he died.  

In addition, if he died for my salvation, why do I have to pray, go to church and all that other stuff to go to heaven?   If I go to hell then he died for nothing I guess.  But I'm not worried about it, no one can prove heaven nor hell exists
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've always held that it's more important to concentrate on the message...not the messanger.

Most if not all of us would agree with you, scuba but it does rib us. It doesnt make any sence to assume Christ looked like the famous Pic taken from the shroud of Turin (How ever you spell it) Yours truly thinks that was some Knight from the crusades that wanted to pocket some extra money with the "shrowd of Jesus"... its not far fetched at all ... ie the Cantebury tales and the guy charging people for a look at Jesus's bones er something. Fraud must have been commonplace for it to end up in a story.

Oh well anyways + 1
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

In addition, if he died for my salvation, why do I have to pray, go to church and all that other stuff to go to heaven?   If I go to hell then he died for nothing I guess.  But I'm not worried about it, no one can prove heaven nor hell exists

Interestingly enough, you were alive when he died.  You have a living spirit.  You hadn't come to earth yet to receive your body, but that doesn't mean that you didn't exist when Christ made His atonement.

Also, Jesus' sacrifice was infinate and eternal.  It's application spans from the creation of man to the end of the world.  Christ died for you, me, and every other person who was ever born or who ever will be born.  If you go to hell, it will be sad for you, but that certainly wouldn't destroy Christ's sacrifice from being applied in someone else's life.  

If you fail to take advantage of the Atonement, that is primarily your loss.  Sure, your Father in Heaven will also be very sad at your choices, but it is you who will suffer the most and the longest.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:But I'm not worried about it, no one can prove heaven nor hell exists

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Most if not all of us would agree with you, scuba but it does rib us. It doesnt make any sence to assume Christ looked like the famous Pic taken from the shroud of Turin (How ever you spell it) Yours truly thinks that was some Knight from the crusades that wanted to pocket some extra money with the "shrowd of Jesus"... its not far fetched at all ... ie the Cantebury tales and the guy charging people for a look at Jesus's bones er something. Fraud must have been commonplace for it to end up in a story.

Oh well anyways + 1

Hi Nasty,

Again...we're dealing with mindsets.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that this forum presents a great way for different ideas to crop up.  Yours is valid, and, was always problematic for myself.  Growing up Christian, in later years I wondered to myself what African-Americans put out on the front lawn?  

In all of our secular and/or non-secular traditions, the coolest stuff we're ever going to share and ask questions about AND debate really will be summed-up largely (hopefully) in several areas:

1)  The quaint fashion of agreeing to disagree, and

2)  Understanding perspectives, and

3)  Uhhh...'still thinkin'...any ideas?

Ed
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Jesus looks like He does when He reveals Himself to you.

It really is that simple, that's one of the reason's He is a personnal God, because we can all relate to Him in the way we need to.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Wasn't even said in a religious connotation. The comment was made in a Star Wars connotation. Only you can ask yourself why you got so defensive so quickly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
he probably was not what we would call black, but its doubtful he was white either.

If he tried to cross the border in Texas, most of the members of this board would turn him back...

as an aside, I was talking with a young lady who was a member of the Nation of Islam and we were discussing the ethnicity of Jesus and she told me that they believe the Mohammed was white.  I was quite surprised by that.

I've heard that Mohammed was a Kurd.  Kurds look kinda white I guess.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Perhaps you mean she was a Muslim?
Not Nation of Islam (a form of Islam which has been declared a heresy by Sunnis, Shi'as and Sufi's)
Nation of Islam teaches that whites are the spawn of Satan, sent to keep the people of color oppressed.

On the topic of what Jesus Christ looked like, I'm sure he looked like an Semite.
Olive skinned, black hair, etc.

Sheesh - why does it matter what Christ looked like anyway?
If He had come to the tribes in Africa, Our Lord would have been black.
If He had gone to China - Asian.
England - Christ would have been pale and had bad teeth.

People getting wrapped up in the race of the form Christ walked the Earth is silly.
Focus on Christ's message, not his image.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Jesus looks like He does when He reveals Himself to you.

It really is that simple, that's one of the reason's He is a personnal God, because we can all relate to Him in the way we need to.

Sgatr15

He hasn't revealed himself to me yet.  When he does I want to know what he looks like so I can recognize him.  I'll be on the look out for a late 30's east middle eastern fellah.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Wasn't even said in a religious connotation. The comment was made in a Star Wars connotation. Only you can ask yourself why you got so defensive so quickly.

Or ask why he is in the religion forum at all?

I love how atheists cry all the time about religious folks comming into their conversations but its ok for them to do the same in return?

And they call us hypocrites?

Maybe he actually is hanging out here to understand others views instead of belittle them. We will see. I am sure he is pretty intelligent and not the type to troll or prush his opinions down others throats so to speak.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgatr15

You miss the point then.

Sgtar15

Ok could you explain it to me? Whats the point of having an image of an unkown white long haried guy on my wall. Just because I or someone else says its Jesus does not make it so, and if that image is not accurate isnt it then a  false image? I thought that was the point.

I agree they wil never find a skull. I dont want to get into a flame war with you, but could you explain the point I missed? It would help.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Jesus I suspect was born out  of the reagon of Africa or egypt,or certainly from the M-east!

He would be brown or black skinned,the blood samples of the first men(or at least the oldest tribes of known origin that have no civilized traits whatsoever) can be traced by DNA from Africa to San Francisco!!!

Religion is much like Education either you have it and use it or not!!!

Unless he came from a region that had little sunlight he was most likely dark skinned!!

The white Jesus may have been a Norse Jesus!!!

It's most likely we had a black Jesus,and that skin color or religion makes no difference as to weather we are from the trunk of God or the branches that are allowed to grow from that trunk!!!

When the great gathering was called and the Jews(the tree of life)didn't show then the followers of Jesus (the branches of the tree) were called and that all that would enter would be added to the book of life!!

And all that entered by the Son would be honered by the Father!!!

Right or wrong thats the way I have been preached it!!!

And I say that's how I  belive!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#41]
edited<va-gunnut>
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:54:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I would imagine that Jesus looked a lot like an ordinary Jewish person of His day. I would imagine that His skin was fairly dark given the climate He lived in.

The portrayal of Christ as a skinny, anemic pale dude has never made any sense to me.

Christ was a carpenter, which required strength. He was Divine, but He still didn't have any DeWalt power tools back then. He was most likely skilled at swinging an axe and a hammer, which means He was most likely a pretty strong fellow. I would also suppose that He produced the very best works of carpentry of His time. Imagine the eye to detail. Christ was a bit of a perfectionist....

We also know that He had a beard because they plucked it out leading up to His crucifixion.

Beyond that, we don't really know much about the physical appearance of Christ while He was on this earth. I would imagine, however, that He looked pretty much like a handsome Jewish man.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps you mean she was a Muslim?
Not Nation of Islam (a form of Islam which has been declared a heresy by Sunnis, Shi'as and Sufi's)
Nation of Islam teaches that whites are the spawn of Satan, sent to keep the people of color oppressed.

On the topic of what Jesus Christ looked like, I'm sure he looked like an Semite.
Olive skinned, black hair, etc.

Sheesh - why does it matter what Christ looked like anyway?
If He had come to the tribes in Africa, Our Lord would have been black.
If He had gone to China - Asian.
England - Christ would have been pale and had bad teeth.

People getting wrapped up in the race of the form Christ walked the Earth is silly.
Focus on Christ's message, not his image.

No  I meant exactly what I typed.  She is a member of the Nation of Islam.  Its why I was surprised they view Mohammed as being white.   They also preach seperation of the races.   Weird group.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#44]
He looked pretty much like a handsome Jewish man.

That could describe me... though, if you ask my Presbyterian wife, she would say I'm just a nice Jewish fellow she met on the internet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I agree they wil never find a skull. I dont want to get into a flame war with you, but could you explain the point I missed? It would help.

The point of having any religious article, even a picture, it to remind you of Jesus and God.  As humans we tend to forget things.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they found a skull, we'd have to cancel Easter.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#47]
The point of having any religious article, even a picture, it to remind you of Jesus and God. As humans we tend to forget things.

Sgat1r5

I wore a nice tie to work one day, portraying the American flag against the background of our Declaration of Independance.  During lunch, I was asked if that was offensive and inappropriate.  I said no, as the flag was symbolic of an ideal, not an idol.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The point of having any religious article, even a picture, it to remind you of Jesus and God. As humans we tend to forget things.

Sgat1r5

I wore a nice tie to work one day, portraying the American flag against the background of our Declaration of Independance.  During lunch, I was asked if that was offensive and inappropriate.  I said no, as the flag was symbolic of an ideal, not an idol.

eggs act ly!
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#49]
There are people on Ebay who think he looks like burned toast and/or a rock.

Miracle Jesus Toast sells for $28,000
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The point of having any religious article, even a picture, it to remind you of Jesus and God.  As humans we tend to forget things.

Sgat1r5

Ok I understand.

I have other questions but will start a separate topic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top