Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 4:43:02 PM EDT
Yesterday I went to "JUST TIRES" to get my wheels balanced. They had a bunch of thugs working, all morons.  

First they dont listen to me, I only wanted the front wheels balanced....what do they do. They rotate all four tires!   I'm like why are my new front tires in the back? I just bought them and ONLY wanted them balanced. Some moron tells me they always rotate tires. I'm like since when? I just bought new tires because my Acura is front wheel drive; so put them back and do what I tell you; which is to BALANCE the damned tires.

Anyway, really pissed off worker goes to take care of it. Well they took care of it alright! I left and down the road I go to a gas station; there I look at the mangled lug-nuts. I'm a little pissed off so I take a closer look and they are crooked too. So at the gas station I get my lug-wrench and notice the striped stems. Looks like I'm going to have to replace them now!

So I call "JUST TIRES" today and tell them they striped my stems. The first thing some moron calls me is a liar! He just starts to yell at the top of his lungs that I'm a stupid liar. UNFREAAAKING BELIEVABLE. Well, its on. I will not rest, I will not sleep until I talk to a store manager, regional supervisor or whoever it takes to take care of this. I'm currently planning legal action against them. Trust me, I have the time.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How should I handle this?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Please keep us updated. BTW, I give the rant level of this a 5.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm new but i've been lurking for awhile.  Think I have an appropriate response: Draw down? heh just kidding.  I would probably go back to the store in the morning before they get busy and ask to speak with the manager or team lead.  Tell him you have a problem and take him outside and show him the stripped stems and mangled lug nuts.  Tell him the whole situation and hopefully he will make it right.  If not, a corporate office phone number should not be difficult to obtain (if it is a franchise) and the better business bureau always comes in handy.  Good luck to you and keep us updated.

p.s.  Make sure to keep your cool and not be an asshole
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
LAWYER UP!

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for update.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yesterday I went to "JUST TIRES" to get my wheels balanced. They had a bunch of thugs working, all morons.  

First they dont listen to me, I only wanted the front wheels balanced....what do they do. They rotate all four tires!   I'm like why are my new front tires in the back? I just bought them and ONLY wanted them balanced. Some moron tells me they always rotate tires. I'm like since when? I just bought new tires because my Acura is front wheel drive; so put them back and do what I tell you; which is to BALANCE the damned tires.

Anyway, really pissed off worker goes to take care of it. Well they took care of it alright! I left and down the road I go to a gas station; there I look at the mangled lug-nuts. I'm a little pissed off so I take a closer look and they are crooked too. So at the gas station I get my lug-wrench and notice the stripped stems. Looks like I'm going to have to replace them now!

So I call "JUST TIRES" today and tell them they stripped my stems. The first thing some moron calls me is a liar! He just starts to yell at the top of his lungs that I'm a stupid liar. UNFREAAAKING BELIEVABLE. Well, its on. I will not rest, I will not sleep until I talk to a store manager, regional supervisor or whoever it takes to take care of this. I'm currently planning legal action against them. Trust me, I have the time.

what exactly are "stripped stems"?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Stems=studs?

My question is:  Did they have a door nazi make you show a receipt before letting you go?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]
valve stem i assume, but how do you strip a metal threading with a plastic cap?

they get to buy you new wheel studs & nuts, since they messed them up.  had that happen before, any reputable shop will replace the studs for you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Your tire fell off, you were involved in a T/A and your neck and back hurts. Retirement, here I come!!!!!

Seriously, most of the people at these tire places are morons. I have my own torque wrench I bring and I watch as they put the lug nut on BY HAND and turn it at least several times. If they don't have a torque stick they will not use a air wrench on my rims. If they get a responsible  person I will request that they do the work. Most don't stay long tho.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Your tire fell off, you were involved in a T/A and your neck and back hurts. Retirement, here I come!!!!!

Seriously, most of the people at these tire places are morons. I have my own torque wrench I bring and I watch as they put the lug nut on BY HAND and turn it at least several times. If they don't have a torque stick they will not use a air wrench on my rims. If they get a responsible  person I will request that they do the work. Most don't stay long tho.

Discount Tire does an excellent job including torquing to the required spec. I have three vehicles and use them repeatedly except for simple flat repair, that I do myself
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Stems=studs?

Yeah..I think.? Its the threaded metal stud where the wheel lugs get attached to. ManI'm pissed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Discount Tire does an excellent job including torquing to the required spec. I have three vehicles and use them repeatedly except for simple flat repair, that I do myself

Discount got sued so many times for ruining rims and stripping studs that they FINALLY bought torque sticks and make use mandatory. My ex-neighbor was a manager for many years. Both here and in Texas.
They do have a better crop of 18 year old retards tho.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]
just goes to prove that not all monkeys can change a tire, and never just call back, go up there in person, they have a harder time coping an attitude when looking you in the eye.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Discount got sued so many times for ruining rims and stripping studs that they FINALLY bought torque sticks and make use mandatory. My ex-neighbor was a manager for many years. Both here and in Texas.
They do have a better crop of 18 year old retards tho.

Yup, many years ago when I was in high school, my neighbor's son was 18 and working at discount.  He said their favorite game was to see if they could crush the muffler when lifting the vehicle....  

Tag for updates.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]
so the LUGS were stripped, not the stems?  
They should replace them, it's really not that big a deal,but your problem will be that you didn't notice before you left the shop..
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#15]
It could be worse I was getting my lube and oil changed at the local place ( a friend of my son worked there so I kind of trusted him) and I see a truck drive out of the tire place next door power up a bit and go over the RR crossing and both front tires fell off and it slammed down and skidded a few feet. Needless to say the air was blue.

My son's friend said the outcome was they ended up firing two guys that had worked on it and the store manager and bought the guy a new truck.  The two guys for fucking the job up and not paying attention and the manager first tried to tell the guy if he hadn't sped over the RR tracks it would have been ok.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Anyway, really pissed off worker goes to take care of it. Well they took care of it alright! I left and down the road I go to a gas station; there I look at the mangled lug-nuts. I'm a little pissed off so I take a closer look and they are crooked too. So at the gas station I get my lug-wrench and notice the striped stems. Looks like I'm going to have to replace them now!

So I call "JUST TIRES" today and tell them they striped my stems. The first thing some moron calls me is a liar! He just starts to yell at the top of his lungs that I'm a stupid liar. UNFREAAAKING BELIEVABLE. Well, its on. I will not rest, I will not sleep until I talk to a store manager, regional supervisor or whoever it takes to take care of this. I'm currently planning legal action against them. Trust me, I have the time.

They stripped your studs and it will not be cheap to fix. in the meantime i would not drive the car,you dont want to loose a wheel at 75MPH.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
rant rant rant....They had a bunch of thugs working, all morons......rant rant rant

Just curious, what's a thug? Were all the guys there heavily tattooed, with chain-wallets and studded boots?

Or, is there another thing about them you'd like to say but didn't?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stems=studs?

Yeah..I think.? Its the threaded metal stud where the wheel lugs get attached to. ManI'm pissed.

Tire stores are staffed by idiots. I bought a set of tires at Discount Tire for my landcruiser before going to work, and 4 hours later one of them had gone flat. I took it to one of those used tire places, and had them do it right. Ever since, I get this place to order my tires, because he gets them cheaper, and they do it right the first time. Brakes places aren't any better.My g/f went to have her brakes checked at Midas, and the dumb bastards cross-threaded 7 out of the 16 lug nuts. Had to send her to get new studs and lug nuts at the damn Nissan dealer; cost me right around $50. I really really wanted to make a trip to Midas, but as pissed as I was, the g/f forbode it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:42:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Its not that workers are imcomeptent but insteadjust really dont give a shit. Think they work in an unheated uncooled shop 8 hours a day..
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:55:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Its not that workers are imcomeptent but insteadjust really dont give a shit. Think they work in an unheated uncooled shop 8 hours a day..

Laziness, stupidity, or just plain being a pansy is no excuse for shitty work. I work outside at night, and whatever the weather's like, we're out in it, sometimes for 16 hours. It's just part of the job.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to be a tire jockey.  Never stripped a stud.  Did break a few, but studs in Isuzu troopers/Mitsu Monteros were like made from pot metal.  We warned people ahead of time on those particular vehicles and let them know that we were gonna charge for busted studs.  

The way people do strip studs is by not threading the lugnuts on by hand first, they try to save time by stuffing the nut into the socket and powering it on.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:36:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I used to be a tire jockey.  Never stripped a stud.  Did break a few, but studs in Isuzu troopers/Mitsu Monteros were like made from pot metal.  We warned people ahead of time on those particular vehicles and let them know that we were gonna charge for busted studs.  

The way people do strip studs is by not threading the lugnuts on by hand first, they try to save time by stuffing the nut into the socket and powering it on.  

Exactly. Apparently, nearly nobody in the town I grew up in knew that little secret. I became known as for wrenching off more studs than anybody else in the town, with nothing but a four-way.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#23]
This is why it doesn't pay to go to those discount places.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Took step sons 92 bonneville to sears the other day to get brake system flushed.  Had never been bled and felt it needed doing, but was worried about busting bleeder screws since in 15 years it hadn't been done.  (at least it appeared that way).  Anyway, they tell me about 1 1/2 hours to do it.  We walk the mall and get back after an hour and 5 minutes, car is on lift, wheels off and no one around it.  Wait another 45 minutes and still nothing, go to desk jockey and ask what is going on.  About 10 minutes and the manager comes up and says the master cylinder is leaking (blowby).  I ask why they didn't call me and tell me instead of leaving me here waiting and he says they usually call and try to find the part before notifying the customer.  I tell them that is BS, they need to notify the customer first and ask what the customer wants to do instead of wasting their time.  Told him to put the wheels back on and give me the keys, I would replace the master cylinder myself.  Well, get the keys back and drive off.  Don't even get out of the mall and hear a thumping noise every time I hit the brake.  Get out and make the GF drive by.  Left rear wheel wobbling like crazy.  Take it back and throw a big fit.  He has custom wheels that are fitted to the hubs so the center of the wheel is different on the front than the back and they switched the wheel.  The front wheel won't snug on the back  drum.  What a bunch of incompetent boobs.  So, go to Autozone, get a replacement, go home, pull the old one, take the new one out of the box and it has a busted resevoir.  Jump in the other car, back to AZ and get a good one (last one they had)  back home and get it done.  I wasted the whole day on about 2 hours of work.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Took step sons 92 bonneville to sears the other day to get brake system flushed.  ..... I wasted the whole day on about 2 hours of work.

Not to make ya feel any better, but just think how long that trip to town would have taken and the work involved if we still had to hitch a team to a wagon to make the trip......
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:20:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. Apparently, nearly nobody in the town I grew up in knew that little secret. I became known as for wrenching off more studs than anybody else in the town, with nothing but a four-way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top