Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 4:49:22 PM EDT
Forgive if dupe.....

Foul-Mouthed Teen May Go to Jail

47 minutes ago   Strange News - AP

WILMINGTON, N.C. - A teenager may go to jail for using foul language with a high school teacher. Glenn Gattis and his parents don't deny that he cursed or has had other disciplinary problems at Ashley High School. But they say the misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct is an overreaction.

The 17-year-old Gattis says he became frustrated and used bad language when he got in trouble for being late to class again. He said he was ultimately stopped by deputies working as school resource officers, who gave him a citation for using language meant to provoke violence. He was also suspended for three days.

Gattis' mother, Judy Lewis, said she could understand if her son had to serve detention at school. But he could get up to 30 days in jail. The family has hired a lawyer to fight the charge.

School officials declined to comment.

Serves him right.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Serves him right.....

Your kidding me. Maybe a day in jail if that to scare him but 30 days in jail and suspended is way too much.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Serves him right.....hr

Your kidding me. Maybe a day in jail if that to scare him but 30 days in jail and suspended is way too much.

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Serves him right.....

I kid you not. I used to be a teacher and had to deal with some real lulus, overgrown foul-mouthed, ill-behaved, violent prats whose parents and families were either powerless to deal with them because of liberal laws and permissive attitudes, or were too spineless and immature to care about their charges to begin with. I'll also bet the little swine has had lots of of run-ins with the admin. and the popo, and they all got sick of little Johnny and his antics and lack of support at home, and read the Riot Act to him. In a cell. Good for them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Serves him right.....

The hell it does.

Foul-langauge does not warrant 30 days in jail, unless you threaten someones' well-being.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

... he could get up to 30 days in jail...

They didn't say he WILL get 30 days in jail but UP TO 30 days in jail.
Maybe a weekend in jail will do some good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck that shit....

Seriously, I can seriously see myself getting frustrated and using foul language towards my 8th period teacher

A month in jail?!?! all I can say is "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over".
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I think this thread is going to divide along the lines of young'uns and people who have been around.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think this thread is going to divide along the lines of young'uns and people who have been around.....

Young, old, what have you...

Does being around for 50-years really let you get in .03 cents instead of the usual .02? I know as many compentent 29-year-olds as I do compentent 53-year-olds...

So, age isn't the issue here. Again: AGE IS NOT THE ISSUE.

Morals and ethics, however, ARE.

And, if you want, I can give you the names and numbers of some people that were around and lived when you were still in diapers - and perhaps they'll still think this is a stupid possible sentence.

Again, age is not the issue, and those that think it is are those deluded with feelings of superiority (that do not exist) because they are young/old. People that think age is the issue are avoiding the issue at hand.

EDIT:

As being one of these "young'ins" you claim a catagory for, I am not pleased with the overall stance many (but thank god not all) seniors (and I mean that in age, not legally a senior citizen) take to younger people. A lot (but again, not all) elders think that if someone is young, they are inexperienced, unknowledgable, and uneducated; or all of the above. This is not true. Also, I find it to be a double-standard in this sect that I can be discriminated against because of my age, yet if I discriminate you, it's "disrespect."

Young people don't ask for much. I respect elders - IF THEY RESPECT ME. Respect is a two-way street with occasional obstacles... And I, for one, do not want to be on side of the street simply because a man that is older than me thinks he's wiser and more experienced than my entire generation and therefore considers my opinion null and void. Young people, again, don't ask for much. Just treat us like decent human beings and don't act like just because we're young that we don't know anything.

Again, this is a double-standard (that I am not accusing you of holding). I have met incompetent 18-year-olds, and incompetent 55-year-olds... Age is about as relevent as penis size.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
For using foul language when fired up over a teacher...honestly, it depends on what he said.

If he started calling the teacher names, then maybe a week of detention and a written apology would seem appropriate to me.

If he just got frustrated and said something like "Dammit!" or "This is bullshit!" then that I might see as just a couple detentions.

But up to 30 days in jail?  I can only see that as apprpriate if he threatened the teacher.  That's a bit much otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#11]
sounds like one of my clients, who i think could benefit immensely from some consequences for his ridiculous behavior, similar to this
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, who knows what the little scumbag said...I wouldn'r be surprised that it was threatening and I wouldn't be suprised that it wasn't the first time.
Punks are getting worse every year. I live in a fairly upper-middle class neighborhood. Just walked to the corner store for some milk (I've a 4 year old and a 2 year old) at about 20:30. Gaggle of about 4 girls and one boy I'm guessing about 13-16 walk buy on the sidewalk. I say nothing as I'm going over the list in my head (no I didn't write anything down, and yes there was much more than milk) and the boy...about 15 give or take....skinny...wearing the whole gang banger ensable says,"What's your problem holmes," and takes a very agressive stance. I'm 36, 6'1", 225 lbs and I take a step toward him with," WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM LITTLE BOY?!"
The girls pull him away with a whole,"why are you always causing trouble," diatribe, but I'm amazed at the arrogance of the little snot.  He probably weighs as much as one of my legs.
Of course his people were enslaved for so many years that he can say whatever he wants, right?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]
DAym, I can throw a rock and hit that school from my house. Ok not that close, but I can hear the ball games. All I can say is the po-po's around here do not play, plus they just got a new jail they're itchin' to break in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe he should be stoned to death instead.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#15]
His lawyers will have fun with the "Fuck" motion to dismiss used in a similar case in Colorado sometime in the least couple of years.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For using foul language when fired up over a teacher...honestly, it depends on what he said.

If he started calling the teacher names, then maybe a week of detention and a written apology would seem appropriate to me.

First, I doubt he's going to get a full 30 days, if he is even convicted. We all must admit, however, that we don't know the facts of the case, other than what the media choose to tell us. We do however have hints that he has been down this road before- many times before.

If he just got frustrated and said something like "Dammit!" or "This is bullshit!" then that I might see as just a couple detentions.

I don't think we're dealing with an Eagle Scout or the head of that years' National Honor Society.

But up to 30 days in jail?  I can only see that as apprpriate if he threatened the teacher.  That's a bit much otherwise.

The statute likely says "up to 30 days in jail", but is rarely pronounced as a sentence. The media also specialize in sensationalism, knowing that they can push people's buttons and sell papers in so doing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Maybe he should be stoned to death instead.

"Poke him with the soft cushions!"
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#18]
The boy needs to learn some respect.
 IF he got jail time mabe he would learn something but i seriously doubt it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I think he should talk to a counselor and discuss his feelings. Maybe that way he can discover why he is so angry and always lashing out. Then he can be properly medicated and become a productive member of our perfect society.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow what a bunch of bullshit, someone should lock up who ever's bright idea this was, what an improper use of the judicial system.

Oh Noes, someone used foul language!!! gime me a fucking break.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top