Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:48:17 PM EDT

'I ... have no remorse now for killing a man'

Bill Harvey can't explain why he's alive to tell how he wrestled a gun from a robber, shot the man and then survived a barrage of bullets from the suspect's three accomplices.

The violent scene unfolded about 6 p.m. Saturday inside Harvey's west Houston home in the 2200 block of Woodland Park Drive while his wife and five children watched.

"I don't know what to think," Harvey, 34, said Sunday. "I absolutely have no remorse now for killing a man, and I'm trying to figure out if that's right or wrong."

Police said Harvey would not face criminal charges. He was shot in the neck, side and lower back. The wound to his neck barely missed his carotid artery.

The name of the intruder Harvey shot has not been confirmed. He wasn't carrying any identification but investigators said they found an electronic hotel door key in his pocket.

"We're trying to see who he might have been with," said Houston Police Sgt. J.T. Wyers.

Harvey gave this account of the night of the gunfight:

The men showed up at his house posing as customers to the family's shipping business, which transports goods to Honduras. Hondurans living in Houston often use the service to send goods back to family and friends, Harvey said.

Demanded money -

Before the men arrived at his home, someone called Harvey to ask if he had any shipping boxes. Though an unusual request on a Saturday, Harvey told the caller he had some at his home.

Four Spanish-speaking men seeking boxes arrived outside Harvey's home about 15 minutes later. While showing the men boxes in his garage, they pulled out guns and ordered Harvey and his wife to give them money. Inside, the men rounded up the couple's five children in the living room and stood guard over them.

The men repeatedly pointed their weapons at the heads of family members as they demanded money. One man vaguely threatened Harvey by telling him not to worry because he would be sleeping after they left.

"I knew he was going to kill me," Harvey said.

As one man stood guard over Harvey in the kitchen, another took his wife into another room to seek her jewelry.

"After they took my wife I knew I had to do something," he said. "I felt I had to react."

He wrestled the gun out of his captor's hands then shot him dead before the other three men ran back toward the kitchen. A shootout followed as the men fired their weapons at Harvey. He was struck three times as he returned fire until emptying the gun in his hand. His wife and children were unharmed.

"They came out spraying bullets at me," he said. "I wasn't trying to dodge the bullets. I was walking right up to the men to shoot them because I thought I was gonna be killed."

Description of car -

After Harvey left the hospital Sunday, he and his family returned home to gather some belongings before spending the night with family members. Crime scene investigators marked 21 bullet holes and casings.

"It was a miracle to walk in that house and see all those bullets," Harvey said. "I don't know how my family wasn't grazed and I didn't get hit more than three times."

Police believe at least one of the other men was shot before they fled the home in a late-model gray or silver Honda Accord with temporary license plates.

Harvey's wife later told police she thought the intruders might be from Honduras. "They all spoke Spanish — she thought it was a Honduran accent," Wyers said.

Although the investigation into the armed robbery is continuing, Wyers said police believe Harvey's account.

"They came out spraying bullets at me... I wasn't trying to dodge the bullets... It was a miracle to walk in that house and see all those bullets," Harvey said. "I don't know how my family wasn't grazed and I didn't get hit more than three times."

[Jules]

We should be fuckin' dead, my friend. What happened here was a miracle, and I want you to fuckin' acknowledge it.

[/Jules]

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.

Don't mess with people's wives.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice job! I bet he buys his own gun now if he didn't own one already.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit, someone with balls.

Standing by for sheep responses...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
adrenaline can get people to do some amazing shit

The location of this incident happened at I45 north of I10 nothing shocking about that. Crummy part of Houston.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn. Thats the warrior spirit there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job. Imagine if he had his own weapon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Balls.  Big ones.

(And small brains for allowing 4 assholes into your garage on a Saturday who you don't know.)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to live 2 blocks from there...it's a nice neighborhood, too.

Damn...good job!

HH
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#9]
He should have just called 911.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Break into a man's home and point weapons at his family member's heads, and I think it's fair to say the time for reasoning and negotiation have come to an end. Great courage shown here by Mr. Harvey.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I would sure as hell move after that.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Good for him.  God sure was watching over him and his family.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sarcasm I hope.
Good shooting on his part.
Took some balls.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
"The time has come to just ban guns.  No one ever has a need for a handgun or concealed carry permit"

-- liberal hippy granola dipshit peacenik soon-to-be-victim I know
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a man worthy of respect.  

Who wants to pitch in and get him a gun?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#16]
he's the fucking terminator!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn, like fucking grapefruits. I can only hope and pray that I could rise to that level.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm I hope.
Good Crappy shooting on his part.
Took some balls.

He only hit 2 of them?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm I hope.
Took some balls.

He only hit 2 of them?  

Nah, good shooting.

Hit 2 while under fire with an unfamiliar weapon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I wonder if Bill Harvey's real name is Joey Cusack?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#21]
"I know what you're thinking punk. Am I going to take the gun away from you and shove it up your ass or maybe just bust a cap in your homies? Do you feel lucky punk?"
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm I hope.
Took some balls.

He only hit 2 of them?  

yea it's hard to shoot people when they're shooting at you   wasn't there a thread saying loading a glock 33rd mag for home defense was stupid, well here's an example of why it's not so bad an idea
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm I hope.
Took some balls.

He only hit 2 of them?  

Nah, good shooting.

Hit 2 while under fire with an unfamiliar weapon.

Not only that, for all we know, this guy's never fired a gun before in his life. He grabs some scumbag's gun, probably a piece of crap, and hits two scumbags, killing one and driving the rest away, all while under fire, and lives to tell about it. That's damm good work in my book.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yeah they would cetrainly have let him do that. Heck they would probably even dial it for him
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I can only hope that if something similar ever happened to me, I'd rise to the occasion, and do as well as this brave man did.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#26]
21 shots, 4 people shooting, and he killed one, took three hits?  Hm, not too bad.  

Fuck those oxygen wastes, I hope they get hit by a train.

Mr. Harvey, I pray for your speedy recovery and your family's well being in this troubling time.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome job.

It would have been better if he had not run out of ammunition and had killed them all. This is exactly why I carry 28 rounds in my home defense weapon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuckin A. Give that man a medal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I used to live 2 blocks from there...it's a nice neighborhood, too.Damn...good job!

HH

Sweet Jesus you MUST be kidding, N45 sucks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn...good job taking action and probably keeping his family alive.

Would you guys continue to live at that residence?...I mean,some other shitbag friends of these guys might seek retribution on him and his family.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Damn...good job taking action and probably keeping his family alive.

Would you guys continue to live at that residence?...I mean,some other shitbag friends of these guys might seek retribution on him and his family.

I would buy a flame thrower and set a “live trap” on the entrances to the place. Texas has some pretty level headed property protection laws…

After they scraped the fifth or sixth charcoal briquette out of the place… His homies would get the idea.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Bravo!  One tough hombre when it comes to messing with his family!

Someone give that guy a pat on the back.  Hell, give him a medal!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone wanna bet me , all those guys were illegal aliens, but there only here for work
That guy had balls of steel, love these stories
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuckin A, that is some damn fine gunnery.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Took the bad guy's gun from him and shot him with it. That there is a MAN!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Keyser Soze would approve.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:39:42 AM EDT
[#37]
This guy sounds like he needs a wheelbarrow to haul that steel pair around. Maybe it wasn't a performance worthy of Chuck Norris but not a shabby job at ALL...1 KIA, 1 WIA and he survives and all his family unharmed...DAMN fine job...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#39]
One man vaguely threatened Harvey by telling him not to worry because he would be sleeping after they left.

"I knew he was going to kill me," Harvey said.

He had no choice.  They would have killed him and his whole family.

He decided not to be a compliant victim and "just give them whatever they want".  (Such as your life?)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Stand and Deliver, Mr. Harvey!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

He could have hit the baby!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:12:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I can only hope that if something similar ever happened to me, I'd rise to the occasion, and do as well as this brave man did.

+1
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Police believe at least one of the other men was shot before they fled the home in a late-model gray or silver Honda Accord with temporary license plates.

Well that sure narrows it down.

Quoted:

Quoted:

He could have hit the baby!!!!!!

Good one!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:24:39 AM EDT
[#45]
brave man
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#46]
He needs to go buy himself a gun and get familiar with it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#47]
too bad he didn't kill them all
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#48]
That man was placed in a precariously shitty situation and he did what he had to do.  Awesome that it turned out as well as it did.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Absolutely.....

Best wishes for you and your family, Mr. Harvey.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top