BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2006 11:40:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Just when the EU gets a little momentum going, something always comes up to fuck things up.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the EU sucks too... but not because of chewing tobacco.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking, once, that Eu was a good idea.

The way is being implemented makes govt. strongers and citizens weaker. Furthermore, Bruxelles want to disarm civilians.

Now I am strongly anti-EU.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The way is being implemented makes govt. strongers and citizens weaker. Furthermore, Bruxelles want to disarm civilians.

First time that I heard of this little island. But I'm sure sooner or later the eurocrats will find a way around this inconvenience by introducing new rules about majority vote or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ditto, now I am strongly anti. Come on Åland, make it fall apart.

And I like my snus, a General portion is under my lip as we speak.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#7]
What makes this 'snus' so special that they are attempting to ban it? Chewing tobacco?

Tobacco = taxes = good? Think I need to get me some of that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:30:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I have no idea.

I think the sale of snus is banned in EU except here in Sweden, so you can order snus from here for yourself but your local 7-11 can't sell it. Something like that I think.

And since Åland is finnish instead of swedish the EU says they can't sell any snus.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:36:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have no idea.

I think the sale of snus is banned in EU except here in Sweden, so you can order snus from here for yourself but your local 7-11 can't sell it. Something like that I think.

And since Åland is finnish instead of swedish the EU says they can't sell any snus.

So is it legal to ship to the states?

How can I get some, would like to try it.

Thanks

TXL
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
How in the HELL could anybody think that the EU would be about anything other than imposing bureaucratic rules to snuff out (a) behavior the blissninnies didn't like and (b) businesses that the big businesses don't like?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:41:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:43:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have no idea.

So is it legal to ship to the states?

How can I get some, would like to try it.

Thanks

TXL

Try this one: www.snusworldwide.com/

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:04:58 AM EDT
[#13]
So whats so special about Snus that they have to ban it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:10:53 AM EDT
[#14]
A special tobacco product used only in a small country in the north, there's go to be something wrong with that, of course you have to ban it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#15]
"Hey, what do you think of being ruled by an unelected French-German-Belgian bureaucracy?"

"Ooo!  Sounds great!  Sign me up!"

Seriously, who in their right mind (other than said unelected bureaucrats) wants anything to do with the EU?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess the people learned a lesson in big government and don't like it.  Good for them! Apparently there are still a few people who can think.  AS with so many things, it's not tobacco (or guns, for that matter), it is what the issue illustrates about the attitude of the government.  The EU is the ultimate big brother/nanny bureaucracy.  I suspect in many nations it was approved (note the pluralities of some of the votes) because of business interests.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto, now I am strongly anti. Come on Åland, make it fall apart.

And I like my snus, a General portion is under my lip as we speak.

Too bad I cannot put a signature.

Mine, on gun forum in Italy now is this:

I BUY DANISH
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#18]
"Anything not under government control is,by definition,out of control"

It's all about power and control.Doesn't matter who's in charge or what government it is,it all comes down to the same thing.Right,Kofi?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

The "Union" is a bureaucrat's delusional dream, but a practical impossibility.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#20]

GOOD FOR THEM!!!

seriously, the beurocratic momentum rolled right over most of europe's people. time after time they've taken "votes" and the people in many countries have said "NO" to the EU. but the beurocrats just keep on going anyhow. i would love for this little island nation to throw the biggest monkey wrench into the EU gears possible.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Snus:

And BTW, fuck the EU.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I hope they stick it to the EU. I can't stand the idea of it all.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Interesting. There are a lot of Norwegians around here, my wife is one. Whenever I'm hunting with my FIL and his good friend he always calls his snuff "Snus". I always wondered why he called it that. Now I know.

Good for Aland. It's good to see that at least some people in Europe don't have their heads up their asses.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I've hated the EU ever since I heard about how the C.A.P. works. fuck that, I voted with my feet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#25]
So what are the implications of this?  Force a rewrite of the constitution or disbanding the EU and subsequently the elimination of hte Euro?

Huge implications here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#26]
The UK needs to leave the EU and join Nafta. I mean our three countries (US, UK, Canada) have more in common than the UK and France.

I hope this is a nail in the coffin of the EU.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The UK needs to leave the EU and join Nafta. I mean our three countries (US, UK, Canada) have more in common than the UK and France.

I hope this is a nail in the coffin of the EU.

And Denmark needs to revive the Kalmar Union with Sweden and Norway as an econmic and military bloc.  That would be sweet.

Finland and Iceland (anc the Baltic States) can join too, if they bring beer.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#29]
That is totally awesome.  What makes it even better is that the new "president" of the EU is from Finland and he is trying to get the constitution passed, and a region in his own country may be its undoing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#30]
For me, the first sign of real trouble with the EU was when they started making rules governing the specifications of swing sets in playgrounds.

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1568/is_1_35/ai_99933021

I mean seriously, WTF?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#31]
So when does Slovakia take over the EU presidency?

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#34]
This book (and, maybe, movie) should be updated somewhat:

Has anybody here (besides me) ever read the novel?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I always remember the stuffed teddy bear with the CE certification sticker on sale at Heathrow....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
This book (and, maybe, movie) should be updated somewhat:

www.duallens.com/images/21203.jpg

Has anybody here (besides me) ever read the novel?

Read the book & seen the movie.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Scene: A jail cell.

Prisoner 1: I'm in for rape.
Prisoner 2: I'm in for murder.
Prisoner 3: I'm in for raping a horse.
Prisoner 4: I'm in for selling cucumbers that curved too much.

Prisoners 1,2 and 3 move way over to the other side of the cell...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2066730.stm

At Bruxelles they Eu deputates have really nothing better to do that naking regulations about bendy bananas and NOT how to make our economy competitive...

Such a WASTE OF EU TAXPAYERS MONEY!!!

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:18:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1 and raise you a

'Bananas' EU rules
Bananas must not bend abnormally
Bananas should be at least 5.5in long and 1.05in round
Peaches below 2.2in diameter must not be sold between July and October
Carrots must be 0.75in wide, apart from baby carrots

un-frigging-believable!!!

and doesn't the eu presidency rotate like every 6 months or something??? wtf can you do in six months??? i can't even balance my checkbook in that time let alone manage 30 different countries or whatever it is. the eu is kind of a good idea (for europe) horribly horribly executed!!!

man, who knew we had so many furriners here! it's like a gun-totin', hell-raisin' un!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:25:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey, it's what happens when you get run by the frogs.

If they can't agree on the constitution, what will happen to the Euro?  Won't the nations become somewhat disgruntled, and the currency treaties begin to unwind?  Or, will the return to franc/deutschmark(ueber alles)/lira/ etc.  have been made so cumbersome and expensive that the Euro will roll on because of resignation to it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Scene: A jail cell.

Prisoner 1: I'm in for rape.
Prisoner 2: I'm in for murder.
Prisoner 3: I'm in for raping a horse.
Prisoner 4: I'm in for selling cucumbers that curved too much.

Prisoners 1,2 and 3 move way over to the other side of the cell...

Wasn't there a British guy a few years ago who got tossed in the slammer for selling fruit at a roadside stand with a certified scale denominated in ounces instead of kilograms?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#43]
"snus"

...and I thought that it was spelled "snoose."

Wanders off scratching his head & mumbling...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
"snus"

...and I thought that it was spelled "snoose."

Wanders off scratching his head & mumbling...

I have heard it used and always thought it was just a bastardization of Snuff. The people I know that say it are not of Scandinavian extract.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2066730.stm

At Bruxelles they Eu deputates have really nothing better to do that naking regulations about bendy bananas and NOT how to make our economy competitive...

Such a WASTE OF EU TAXPAYERS MONEY!!!

The EU also influences US business through the ISO, another dream organization for bureaucrats.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#46]
That was my original idea for NAFTA...Canada, US, UK, Australia, NZ, Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland.  Then any other nation with a similar history of economic and political development.  That was free trade zone that works.

To the credit of the British, they proposed something along these lines in the 60's and LBJ nixed it.
Did anything good come from that that particular buffoons presidency?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#47]
EU = Hitler's wet dream come true.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Just when the EU gets a little momentum going, something always comes up to fuck things up.

yeah, freedom and liberty have a way of throwing the monkey wrench into the works like that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To the credit of the British, they proposed something along these lines in the 60's and LBJ nixed it.
Did anything good come from that that particular buffoons presidency?

They did better than that, Britain actually did tentatively ask about becoming part of the USA in the 60's, strange but true!

ANdy

The truth is always stranger than fiction - you can't make it up!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top