Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/3/2007 8:43:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 8:46:24 AM EDT by MiG-21]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTvkhZ-D4VY

Definitely NOT a Rick roll
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:52:27 AM EDT
What a great way to fuck with the fighter guys during an exercise: Retrofit the Buff's weapons bays with chaff/flare dispensers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:53:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Beltfedleadhead:
What a great way to fuck with the fighter guys during an exercise: Retrofit the Buff's weapons bays with chaff/flare dispensers.

No need. The Buff carries plenty of both as it is.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:02:12 AM EDT
The B-52..... the .45 .50 M2 (Ma Deuce) of airplanes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:43:16 AM EDT
50 years old and still kicking ass.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:50:56 AM EDT
Great video!

I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:51:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MiG-21:

No need. The Buff carries plenty of both as it is.

And we HATE putting them up on both aircraft...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:51:55 AM EDT
it has a projected 100 year service life right? awesome plane.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:52:38 AM EDT
That video is full of win.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:55:33 AM EDT
That is a fantastic video. Very well done. Made the 52 look like a mean bastard.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:56:09 AM EDT

Put the guns back on. More than one jock came in for the easy kill only to get downed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:56:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mr0w1:
That is a fantastic video. Very well done. Made the 52 look like a mean bastard.

Hell, the video didn't do anything more than show the truth.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:24:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Put the guns back on. More than one jock came in for the easy kill only to get downed.

I believe there were 3 in VN. 1 with the quad .50s, and two with the 20mm M61.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:28:49 AM EDT

Not going to happen, simply because the B-52 will not be flown into air-to-air threat environments... Thus the guns are dead-weight...

It's got the SMALLEST payload, the SLOWEST speed, and is the LEAST survivable of our 3 heavy bomber models...

In order by payload & speed:

B-1
B-2
B-52

The B-2 is the most survivable, and the most likely to be flying around in an environment with an enemy fighter threat...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:29:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 10:31:44 AM EDT by MiG-21]

Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:

2 that I know of in VN. Both were with the .50's as there were no H models (the ones with the 20mm) in theater. Just F's at first, then D's and G's. Mostly D's.

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
Not going to happen, simply because the B-52 will not be flown into air-to-air threat environments... Thus the guns are dead-weight...

It's got the SMALLEST payload, the SLOWEST speed, and is the LEAST survivable of our 3 heavy bomber models...

In order by payload & speed:

B-1
B-2
B-52

The B-2 is the most survivable, and the most likely to be flying around in an environment with an enemy fighter threat...

Check the Mission Capable rates of all three types.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:32:01 AM EDT

No kidding! I never heard that.

-K
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:32:03 AM EDT

No kidding! I never heard that.

-K
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:41:42 AM EDT
I always thought the MB-1/AIR-2A was far better than a gun on a bomber myself. We stockpiled that unit until 1984. We should have kept them for ground attack in the sandbox...

Lem
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:51:30 PM EDT
Very cool video
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:10:50 PM EDT
very cool vid.

I was at an airshow and the did two flybys..the first was a low / slow passing B-52 the size is unreal

the second was a B1.... I pooped my pants.

we were all watching the B-52 and then this black dot came over the mountain range, swooped down like a bird and was like 10 feet off the ground coming straight at us (not really 10 feet but u get the picture) the crowed freaked as it passed over us to the left...we felt the pressure wave it was so close.

god I loved military air shows for military personnel. the civies shows suck in comparison.
Top Top