Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 3:35:35 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I understand that most pastas are high-carbohydrate as they are flour based.  So, I was looking for some of the "healthy" pastas that are supposedly whote wheat based.  

A trip to the grocery store led to confusion.  I found some Pasta that was "100% Whote Wheat."  Thought I was done.  Just for gins I compared this Pasta to the other brands.

They were exactly the same.  

I looked at several brands and it turns out that ALL of thr are labeled as "Whole Wheat" Pasta.

So what's the scoop here?  Am I missing something?  What type of pasta is supposed to be healthier (i.e. less carbs)?

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
pasta is basically concentrated carbohydrates, that is why it is such a great source of energy.  I dont think you're going to be able to find much in the way of low carb pasta.  I do recall seeing one or two varieties on the shelf that were labeled as "low carb" but I didnt look to see if there was a difference.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The scoop is in the processing of the wheat, usually nothing else.

P.S.-Use moderation and eat what you want.  I'm so fucking sick of the health Nazis I could lose my damned food.

P.S.S.-"Carbs" are NOT AT ALL "unhealthy".  You simply have to have a knowledge of what your intake vs. output needs are on this.  If you are at all an active person, carbs are what you need, in fact.  Elimination of carbs is for the sedentary.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

P.S.S.-"Carbs" are NOT AT ALL "unhealthy".  You simply have to have a knowledge of what your intake vs. output needs are on this.  If you are at all an active person, carbs are what you need, in fact.  Elimination of carbs is for the sedentary.  

Yes, I'm aware of this but I thought I read that there was some type of pasta that was significantly "better" that the "regular" kind.

I'm cookin some right now.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I'm aware of this but I thought I read that there was some type of pasta that was significantly "better" that the "regular" kind.

I'm cookin some right now.  

CMOS

To the best of my knowledge, it is the overprocessed, "bleached" pastas that ar best to avoid in favor of the less processed versions, but I certainly may be wrong.  I have 2 kids and a wife, we just boil frickin' noodles and go!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Carbohydrates are good for your body.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Drink some wine every time you eat pasta. Works for Italians.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Pay more attention to calories and serving size than the carbs.  You can easily load your plate with 600 calories of pasta before you even add sauce.  I started measuring and weighing pasta amounts to see what a serving size looked like.  It was a smaller than what I'd been eating and I just cut back.  

I've tried the whole wheat pastas and they they might be good for casseroles and other baked dishes, to me, they are not plate of spaghetti material. YMMV

You can eat a diet made up completely of carbs and lose weight, as long as you're watching your calories. So, don't get stuck in the carbs are bad mode that lots of people did a few years ago.

Watch calories, eat balanced meals, get enough fiber, you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they are, but like anything else, if you eat too much of it - as in the American diet - and do not burn it off. It can be bad. Unburned carbs turn to glucose then stored fat. Too much glucose in your body can make you hypoglycemic. Or worse diabetic.

Exercising is good for your body, too.

Eating a diet that wasn't meant for your body so you don't have to exercise isn't good for your body.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#11]
my wife eats pasta made from brown rice....

If you're interested I'll give you the nutritional info
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
my wife eats pasta made from brown rice....

If you're interested I'll give you the nutritional info

Please.  Would like to see that info.

Oh, BTW, dinner was great.  Spaghetti, a bottle of Shiraz with some French Bread browned with butter on top.

Man, what a great meal.

You should see what I'm gonna have for dessert.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Actually carbs aren't really good for your body. A carb is mearly a large molecule made up of glucose, or other type of sugar molecules in what is called a "polymer".

You have to look beyond the energy constituant a food is composed of to infer weather it is good or bad. For the most part the more unprecessed or the closer to the natural state a food is the more likely it will have good things in it like vitamens, which are not carbohydrates.

I get so sick of people refering to food as "carbs" or "fat" when I doubt most of the population even know what a carb is!!! I also hate refering to vegatables as "vegies". Can we not talk baby talk people!!! The low carb thing is a big a bunch of bs as the eat all you want low fat fad awhile back.

That being said it is common sense that starchy foods make you fat, as well as fatty foods. Calories do count and different diets work for different people depending on many things, including their activity levels.

I have tried some of the low carb pastas, they worked for me when I had a neck injury and was unable to be active at the time, but was still trying to get myself into shape. They have soy stuff in so your pancrease isn't bombarded with all the "carbs" needing processed.

The atkins fad was a mere fad but a few good things came of it, the low carb pastas is one of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top