Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 2:49:16 AM EDT
I like this series and the latest season is great.  But the weapons they use suck.  First nobody hits anything.  They need some marksmanship training.  Second it seems they damage the weapons do really sucks.  A decent battle rifle would do a lot better.  The particle blasts rarely kill and don't go through things.  I am hoping our weapons in 200 years will be slightly better than an average AK.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Artistic and dramatic license.

In reality you’d have computerized tracking and targeting with motion compensation.  ID the target in the holographic site, pull the trigger.  The onboard computer will do an IFF interrogation to make sure the target wasn’t a Good Guy. then fire.  Any motion of the target or shooter would be damped out by the steering mechanism of the weapon’s emitter array.  (Yes, I *AM* a Trekker and a geek that likes guns). [:D]

ZAP!  A 99.99% first hit/first kill (assuming the target wasn’t armored).

That would make for some damn boring TV, wouldn’t it? [}:D]

Besides, Hoshi has even raised Malcom's eyebrows with her marksmanship, remember?  So at least SOMEONE aboard can shoot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I always wondered why I never saw a phaser with sights.  Now I know.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:57:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#4]
They should have brought some high-tech XM8s. [BD]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
If I was going to pack a ray gun. It would have to be the one from "Congo". You cut everything in your path in half, and take out a satellite from the ground....Now that's a Ray Gun.[:)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#6]
i agree, any ray gun that can take out a satilite and be used as a shoulder fired weapons takes the cake.

in 200 years i bet somewhere, someone will still be using an AK.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
or an AR.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#8]
yes, or an ar, hey deersniper, did ya snipe one yet?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i agree, any ray gun that can take out a satilite and be used as a shoulder fired weapons takes the cake.

View Quote

On the scifi show Firefly I saw at least a Ak or 2 used by the badguys (MP40 also!).  The XO of the Serenity (the "Firefly" of the title) carried a "Wanted:Dead Or Alive" style cutdown lever action rifle.  And on one ep where they heroes were on a hi-tech planet the gung-ho gunnut character complained about the 'raygun' sonic stunner he had swiped from the JBT goons that was useless for blasting a door open.  Low tech gets the job done...ask Capt Picard, who used a Thompson to kick Borg ass....assimilate that!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]
"Firefly" kicked ass, what ever happened to that show?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Keeps me a lightsaber...!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Killed off by fvcktard FUX network suits because the ratings weren't as good as they thought they should be...even though the same network assclowns did everything they could to screw the show over including showing the eps out of order, not promoting it & pre-empting it for "bread & circuses" baseball bs, not to mention giving it the Friday night 'death' slot.  FUX does this with any scifi type show that isn't X-Files, & IMHO X-Files should have been put down at least a season or 2 earlier than it was. There is no justice in Hollywood...X-Files & Star Trek crap goes on & on & on & on while good shows get killed off before they have a chance. [pissed]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I always wondered why they still used energy weapons when the borg could adapt to them. A projectile weapon would have been much better
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, why dont the Enterprise marines have helmets and body armor?  Its seems kind of common sense. The Storm Troopers even figured that one out.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The entire Firefly series is out Dec 9th on DVD

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AQS0F/104-8263708-6259916?v=glance
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Also, why dont the Enterprise marines have helmets and body armor?  Its seems kind of common sense. The Storm Troopers even figured that one out.  
View Quote
Hell, they ALWAYS beamed down to a bad planet wearing rainbow colored uniforms and nothing but the phaser, tricorder and communicator.
They were too trusting.  Especially Ensign Redshirt.  He never stood a chance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#17]
i agree, the rainbow spandex doesnt put fear in the beings that are threatening the federation. they really need to take notes from others like starship troopers and alien. they had some cool gear.

and your right about redshirt. never had any dialog and he disapeard with on shot of a death ray, which i have to comment,,,they never have to clean up after using a phaser.i thought that was cool
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

On the scifi show Firefly I saw at least a Ak or 2 used by the badguys (MP40 also!).  The XO of the Serenity (the "Firefly" of the title) carried a "Wanted:Dead Or Alive" style cutdown lever action rifle.  And on one ep where they heroes were on a hi-tech planet the gung-ho gunnut character complained about the 'raygun' sonic stunner he had swiped from the JBT goons that was useless for blasting a door open.  Low tech gets the job done...ask Capt Picard, who used a Thompson to kick Borg ass....assimilate that!
View Quote

Don't forget Jane's rifle named "Vera".  He used it to knock out a control room on a space station.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i agree, the rainbow spandex doesnt put fear in the beings that are threatening the federation.
View Quote

I dunno, if men in rainbow spandex suddenly appeared in front of me, I'd be scared...

DrMark
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#20]
You nancyboys need to grow up and watch real man kinda shows like Wraslin an NASCAR. That fikshun stuff will rot yor brain.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#21]
The Star Trek 'rifles' have aimpoint-style sights (which you never see used, except in DS9/Voyager.)... As with most sci-fi movies, they normally shoot from the hip
(or in ST, use the beams like tracers to adjust aim)...

Next, remember that Star Trek was the brainchild of a hippie idealist... The 'good guys' set their weapons to 'stun' and try to avoid killing unless forced to do so... Yeah, you have weapons that can vaporize almost anything with one shot (well, not on Enterprise, but the others did), but you're a 'good guy' so you use them on 'stun'...

As for 'realisim', the 'realistic' laser/'ray-gun' weapon would not need fancy sights, as you'd hit whatever it's pointed at the instant you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Lest we forget, Kirk took some bamboo, vines, coal, sulfur, and salt peter to fire diamonds at a gorn.  The ultimate in field expedient low tech mortar fire.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I think it was on the pilot episode of Enterprise when Malcom mentioned that the phaser was developed because it's hard to capture or question someone after they've been vaporized.

There was another episode where the captain and the cheif engineer were on the surface of a planet without supplies, and they found if you place the selector halfway between 'stun' and 'kill', you can catch a rock on fire.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I always wondered why they still used energy weapons when the borg could adapt to them. A projectile weapon would have been much better
View Quote

Because in ST parlance, the Borg adapt to anything, projectile or energy, if they're hit by it enough...

In the first 'Borg' episode (where Q sent them to 'visit' the Borg), the Enterprise vaporized a quarter of the Borg cube with their standard armaments, but Picard (being the 'noble' character, remember the 60's hippie creator) held his fire and went to 'explore' the cube...

The Thompson was only used (and only good) once. The only other way to kill Borg on ST is to beat them to death (another ST tradition - fistfights are 'preferred' to gunfights)...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#25]
You ever notice how the object being hit by phaser  fire disappears with no collateral damage? Plus, on the original series the hand phaser would vaporize a large boulder or similar sized object while the phasers in STNG and DS9 had about as much effect as a .22 short. Guys in phaser fights in those two series would hide behind rocks and trees. In the original series the rocks and trees would be gone with one shot. Also, just how effective was the stormtrooper armor in Star Wars? Every time they would get hit by a blaster shot they would go down.

CW
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember talk of a future railgun that would fire projectiles at 10% the speed of light. You could shoot down a satellite with that if you could come up with a 2000x scope.
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#27]
That's almost 100 MILLION FPS!

Even if you could generate that much acceleration in a rail gun the projectile would shatter/disintegrate from G loading.  Not to mention the fact that atmospheric friction would vaporize ANYTHING at those velocities.

Now if it was in space and had some fantastically long track to keep the acceleration down so the projectile wouldn’t disintegrate, you just might be able to pull it off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top